“another great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #116 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Norwich, United Kingdom
“another great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

had another 4 nights in this lovely hotel, once again very clean and tidy, staff really friendly and helpful. even moving us to a room with a bath tub on request. Breakfast beautiful with so much choice in very smart room. staff in the breakfast area very helpful with area information etc. always friendly and seems to remember us well. little bit expensive in the bar but to be expected. keep up the good work see you again soon hopefully.
if you are staying here walk over the large bridge to the no. 25 tram stop to central station. kennedy line. a 24 hour ticket will cost just over 7 euros. you can then go anywhere in the city backwards and forwards to the hotel very cheaply. such an efficient service up until midnight.everyday.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor room with a view to the city for a great look at night, curtains open lights of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My first time in Amsterdam after many years and the hotel prices in the city are not for the faint hearted. I booked this hotel many months in advance for a three night stay (pre-paid), the check-in was excellent and extremely friendly. The hotel has two buildings as such with different lifts taking you to a certain part of the hotel (they are not linked). My building was the one with the lift past the reception area (the other lift is adjacent to the entrance). Good room, privilege non-smoking. Size was not the greatest but this is Amsterdam and I have seen smaller. Well decorated, clean, free WiFi, decent sized bathroom, it did the job for three nights. I never took breakfast or had meals at this hotel, I did use the bar which was fine and normal hotel prices.

The Metro is about 10 minute walk away, it's two Metros to Amsterdam Central (the change is seamless, you walk across from one side of the platform to the other). Else there is a 10 minute walk the other way over the bridge to take the tram 25, which takes about 25-30 minutes to Amsterdam Central. For the night owls, there is also a night bus from the city which stops next to the Metro station (however confusingly the bus stop is not called by the name of the Metro stop). The immediate location was a business area, nothing to see, but did not bother me in the slightest.

I would return to the hotel in the future when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam city from 01/11/13 till 03/11/13. I forgot my coat in the room while checking out. I called the hotel the next day and asked them how could I retrieve it. They told me there was nothing left behind in the room. I told them I could give the exact location of where I left my coat, but they said there was no coat left behind and that I might have lost it somewhere else. I explained this was not the case and told them where it was.

Furthermore, when we arrived there there were two single beds in the room although we requested a double bed and had booked the room in advance.

I am specially upset that they denied that my coat was left behind. There is one word for that: "stealing".

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our housekeeping department looked everywhere for your coat but was unable to find it. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that as I can understand your frustrations.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

4 day anniversary trip to Amsterdam. "Privilege" room. Reception long winded but efficient. Top floor room with great views. Room stylishly furnished and well equipped but cramped (smaller than our stopover at a Premier Inn in Harwich prior to the ferry!) Bath towels small and skimpy. For some reason the restaurant was closed throughout our stay and you had to eat in the bar, although the bar and waiting staff were very friendly and helpful. We recommend the canal boat transfer into the city centre at 10.00 a.m.
A pleasant stay, but who Accor Hotels think they are kidding when they claim Mercure hotels all have different characters, I don't know.

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet with super views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was pleased to read that the room was up to your expectations.

Essex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 3 nights for my first visit to Amsterdam.
The hotel was fantastic, clean, comfy, spacious bedrooms with fabulous double shower and friendly, helpful staff.
I knew this hotel wasn't in the centre but it is only a 5 minute walk to number 25 tram. This however does take 20-30 minutes to get you into the centre which is not ideal for everyone. I reccommend the 24hour tram card for €7.50.
I would definitely stay on this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

Recently we have introduced the boot trip to the city centre. The boat leaves every day at 10:00 and will dock at the Anne Frank house. A nice way to start your day in Amsterdam.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Despite it's name the hotel is quite far from the city. About 30 minutes on the tram (no 25) and a 10 minute walk across the bridge. You must make sure you cross the road from the tram stop before crossing the bridge or you will have to walk an even longer way around.
Once we arrived the staff could not have been nicer and made sure our rooms were ready very quickly. Lovely rooms and spacious bathroom, with a bath as well as a shower. Nice base for a sightseeing tour of Amsterdam, but not if you like to nip back to your room during the day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, October 28, 2013

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked 2 double rooms 4 months before the arrival date, but then when we arrived in the hotel they told us that there was overbooking and they had already organized to move us in another hotel in the airport area. Despites they already knew that there was overbooking some days before they did not tell us anything until our arrival. The IBIS airport hotel is a 3-starts and not a 4.stars hotel, but they told us that there was no possibility to give us back any money because they have already found another solution. They also told us that the IBIS hotel had a FREE shuttle (5 times per hour) to the city center, but then when we arrived to there we discovered that the only free shuttle was to the airport, so we had to pay to go to the city center and it took as MORE THAN AN HOUR.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!