“Cool newly-renovated hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #105 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Bangkok, Thailand
“Cool newly-renovated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My bedroom is quite small but comfortable enough for a good sleep. The hotel is close to many places worth visiting. I can walk from the hotel to nearby museum, park, etc. Generous breakfast choises... all in all... I am happy with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

With the kindest regards,

875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel was our first night stop on our European Interlude Tour with Trafalgar. Even though very busy with multiple tours we were checked in at a reasonable pace. The trick with this hotel is that here are two sections to it and we had two lifts servicing the section we were staying in. My husband and I decided to walk up to the 2nd floor (no big deal) except that once you go up the first set of stairs it is very easy to get confused and end up in the wrong section of the hotel. The room was comfortable and clean and we had a lovely view over looking the canal and mountains. The only issue would be that we were quite a way out of town which wasn't an issue for us as we were on a bus but could be an issue if you have no transportation.

Room Tip: For a nice view you need to get to the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

As much as I hatE to review something as poor, this hotel is worst if you are a tourist. Attitude of the staff is rude , far off( destitute ) and simply off the hook. No in -Hotel fun ,or activities, a tight double bed with dirty towel - no change policy - rules apply. If I have to sleep on pavement otherwise m this hotel would be my next option.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
On The Move
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here for a week to attend a trade show held at RAI Amsterdam convention center. The room was compact but clean and and comfortable, and they provided basic features what business persons needs for their stay, including free wifi, free bottled water and tea bags daily.

However the thing which disappointed me was the room service. It was described "open until midnight" on menu, but when I rang them at 11:20 they said they were already closed! There are no restaurants or convenience stores around the hotel in walking distance, so I really hope the hotel will print the "order cut-off/last order time" instead of the actual time they lock the doors.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is important for us in order to improve our services towards our guest. It was unfortunate to read that your stay was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that.

I will address your comments about the room service to our F&B Manager in order to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns and we will do our utmost best to prevent future occurrence. I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

With the kindest regards,

Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a great 4 night stay at the hotel. Very clean, great room and the staff were very informative. I left a coat behind in the room and they were kind enough to post it back to England for me, and arrived within a week! Only negative was the bed was a little hard.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, September 27, 2013

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I joined a tour to Amsterdam with my husband and stayed in this hotel on in September 2013.

On the evening, we checked in at around 5pm. We went to the lift with another 4 people to get to our room after getting the room key. The lift first stopped at level 10 where the first couple got off. The 2nd couple were staying at level 12 but the lift didn't stop and went straight up to level 15. However the lift door did not open at level 15 and went to level 16.

We tried to push the button in the lift to ask for help but there was no sound, seems like the emergency button was not working. We then banged on the lift door trying to get some attention. Finally after about 15 minutes our tour member heard us and tried to help. He called the reception reporting the problem but the reception said there's no problem with the lift! Hello!!! We were stuck in the lift for the past 15 minutes and you say there's no problem with it?!

Luckily our tour member was kind enough to pry open the lift door with his bare hands and let us out. Can you imagine what will happen if someone has panic attack or a pregnant lady is stuck in the lift? Whereas the receptionist says there's nothing wrong with the lift and sent no one to come and check? This is especially utterly ridiculous and totally unacceptable from a notable hotel well known worldwide!

We complained to our tour leader and he promised to make a complaint to your hotel. However we received no apologies or compensation or any feedback from the hotel so far. My emails were not answered either.

Not recommended to other travelers. Don't stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Due to a miscommunication we received only later at night that the elevator was out of order. Currently our engineering manager is looking into the issue to prevent future occurrence. We did noticed that the emergency button was working properly. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days before a long tour of Europe, while it is not right in the heart of Amsterdam it is very close to the tram which you can get a 2 day pass and go all over town. The room was small but clean and served for the purpose that we needed it. Breakfast here is amazing, stayed in 3 different hotels after this one and everyday we commented that the breakfast was not like the 1st hotel. So much to choose from, fresh squeezed orange juice to hash browns and even an espresso machine which was self serve and incredible. The restaurant for dinner is also very good when you are too tired to go anywhere and look for a restaurant in a new city. Would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year.

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!