“Nice clean room with easy access to city centre” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #105 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
jross24
“Nice clean room with easy access to city centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Mercure, it took us a little while to find it as we were not familiar with the transport system however once there we were checked in quickly and got into our room. The room was clean and tidy and decorated to a good standard. Our room was small and compact however we didn't mind as we spent most of our time out exploring.

Unfortunately we didn't sample any of the hotels food however we did find the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the metro and then a few stops into the center. It was very access to the main sights in Amsterdam as long as you don't mind a short walk and a few stops on the metro.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RvanVliet, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important to us in order to improve our services towards our guests.

I was pleased to read that the room was up to your expectations.

I can recommend you to have a look at our loyalty program Le Club Accorhotels at our website. We offer various deals to our loyal guests throughout the year. I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife, 12 year old daugter and I travelled to Amsterdam recently and stayed at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

Upon arrival I was told they didn't have any record of our booking. We booked through Lastminute.com months previously and had already paid. It took nearly 2 hours for the hotel to resolve with Lastminute. It took that length of time because the staff were busy checking everyone else in and dealing with other queries. The lack of effort and communication was very frustrating.

The hotel were not sypathetic at all and advised it was a fault at Lastminutes end. We've used Lastminute before and never had any problems but mistakes do happen. Finally it was resolved.....only to be told there is no room ready for us so we had to leave our bags in the storage area and head out.

When we arrived back the room was ready. There is no such thing as a family room at this hotel. It's a double room with 3 single squeaky beds. They just move the beds in and out depending on the booking. In our room we found some ladies underwear, I assume from the previous guest.

Two days into the trip I checked my bank account and there was a 'hold' of around 80 euros. Not knowing what this was for I phoned the bank and they advised it was Mercure. I spoke to reception and they advised I was charged for breakfasts, which is a concern as we didn't have breakfast once in the hotel. I asked why I'd been charged and the guy on the desk advised it's not the hotels fault, it's a system problem. Right, so the 'system' just decided our room was having breakfast that day, but not any of the others we stayed. Sure. Again the attitude of the staff was not helpful in the slightest. Take a bit of responsibility, explain it's a mistake, apologise and fix it.

I asked for this 'hold' to be removed and was told it would be quicker to have it removed at the time of check out. I said no, I want it removed now. So they did, but the 'hold' on my bank account didn't release for 5 working days after we checked out. So if anyone has similar issues it IS quicker (but 2 working days) to have errors removed at check out.

In the room the towels are very small so request extra.

Wi-fi and air con were very good.

Amsterdam was fun, the hotel experience was not. It's an average hotel, not a 4 star by any stretch, it's just a shame we experienced terrible customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed there for a week, the room was on the old building, but the apartment had a bathtub, and all was very clean, the room was excelente, big, very nice!
The hotel is good for conventions, and conferences.
Just one point I listen the guests complaining about the elevator, that has no capacity to support the number of the guests in the peek times, and to be fast enough. Someday it tooks 15mins waiting in the 22 floor. Its not in the city center, but not too far. The breakfast are marvellous, some attendants in the front desk are very polite and prestatives,
I really enjoyed my stay there!

Room Tip: Get a high floor room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Riihimaki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our family stayed here for two nights. Beforehand we had requested a room somewhere from the new part of the hotel. Our request was heard and the rooms were located in one of the top floors. The hotel is located quite far from the city centre. Though it's simple to take the tram there. Breakfast was excellent! The selection of the food was huge. The rooms were comfortable with nice beds, tv and big bathrooms. The staff was friendly!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter. This means of transportation allows you to see more of the city.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

Carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Apparently 4* this hotel is well situated man has clean comfortable rooms. Our room was small but had all we needed. Only used it to sleep in but air con was a bit noisy. Didn't have the expensive breakfast as it would have cost about £15 each. Noted free coffee in the logia during breakfast hours so that would have been a bonus if we had sussed it out in time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

haarlemmermeer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Last November we stayed with a group in the Novotel on Europaboulevard and now with the same group in this hotel. And now the Mercure. Interesting location at the end of the high way and within walking distance of a subway station.

Public places were spotless and even the smokers areas were clean. Checking in was quick and to the point. A mix up in the group reservation took a few minutes to clear up but it was done well. Staff at reception set the tone for the rest, friendly, professional, taking their job seriously. I asked for an extra blanket to put over my feet (I'm very tall and they stick out) and was warned that someone might be in my room when I got up there. Service was not that quick but it was close.
Lobby and especially the bar look a lot more inviting than they did in the Novotel. The bar was cosy and actually offered more room that you'd think at first glance. Good selection of whiskey, poor selection of beer with only Heineken and Palm on draught, I would have liked to see a drinkable lager. A coffee machine were you can grab a free coffee to go is a nice touch.

My room was also spotless including the easy to miss higher areas and under the beds. Two oversights in maintenance, the bathroom door didn't close fully and the thermostat on the shower really needed calibrating. Rooms look and feel modern.I had a privilege room which means a kettle, nespresso machine and a few free softdrinks in the mini bar. Room is not very big but certainly big enough. Here we also had the big issue with hotels in the Accor group and the main point that keeps me from rating this as excellent. The Accor hotels insist on using synthetics in their bedding which means an extremely hot duvet and me waking up absolutely soaking.

Dinner was a group affair but quite good. What shows skill to me is if you have to serve a dozen pieces of veal at the same time and they're still pink in the middle. It wasn't very adventurous but it was good food done well.
Breakfast was a varied selection of what you'd expect and in ample supply. Only thing I failed to spot was soup for the Asian guests even though there was a bus load of Koreans. It can be rather crowded when there's three busses of tourists wandering around finding breakfast.

Our meeting room was set up well even though they got a standard chair that's not comfortable for more than 90 minutes. Still, the acoustics were so much better than in the Novotel it was a pleasure. Extra extension cords arrived within minutes of us asking for them. Only real problem that took half an hour to fix was our room getting part of the audio presentation of the next room. Hotel supplies snacks in the morning and afternoon to keep you fresh and activated.

I like this place, I'd recommend it if the location works for you. It's run well and has some good staff working there. The only thing keeping me from rating it higher is the fact that I always wake up soaking wet in a Mercure or a Novotel because of their duvets and pillows.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was pleased to read that the room was up to your expectations.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!