“far from the city center” 3 of 5 stars

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Joan Muyskenweg 10, 1096 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #108 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest
“far from the city center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was with Mercure Amsterdam during a business trip at the same time as the UEFA final. The location is quite far from the city center - you can get there by tram (no.25 for 25 min) and then another 15 min by foot. The rooms are very small compared to other Mercure hotels I've been in, but they are clean and nice. The walls are very thin though, and I could hear my neighbor's alarm at 5 o'clock in the morning ... The breakfast was diverse and plenty, but since the hotel was full, it was a bit crowded and I had to wait to get something to eat. The lobby is nice and you can enjoy the evening having dinner or just a beer. Overall, I would say this hotel is not my first choice when I'll return to Amsterdam and I would recommend it only as an alternative.

Room Tip: rooms which are not facing the river - as there is a container yard and it makes a lot of noise all...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Robert v, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

With the kindest regards,

886 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

this hotel located just few min (15 ) from the center and comparing to other hotels that are closer to the center i think this one will give you the best value fo rthe $paid. The only bad thing is price paid for breakfast. My wife an di paid eur 50 for buffet breakfast which was not worth more than 20 eur in my opinion but we had no choice since there is no other place to eat around, however next day we just got on local train and went to eat @the center for half the price.

Room Tip: dont eat breakfast at hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

We are getting a lot of positive feedback about the breakfast, especially about our wide range of products. Our breakfast price is according to the market prices.

With the kindest regards,

Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City between 23rd and 26th May (3 nights). It was a great experience overall.

The rooms were excellent with a view of the Amstel River. Breakfast spread was very good. Cleanliness was very good. Our children has a separate room and they thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

The only negative was that it is a 10 minute walk from the Overamstel metro station

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

As other reviewer wrote before, the 45 euro breakfast is terrible. I booked 3 rooms (2 persons in a room and 1 person each in two rooms) for two nights through hotwire at about USD140 per room per night. When our checking out , the hotel charged 45 euro per room per night for breakfast. The hotel charged breakfast without consideration of the number of guests. I think 22.5 euro is ok for breakfast especially in Amsterdam, but 45 euro per person is too much. Be careful!!

Dear Sir / Madam,

Currently we are looking into your situation as it should never be possible to charge €45,- per guest per room. I can understand your frustration during check-out. We will do our utmost best to prevent future occurrence and please accept my sincerest apologies.

Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

By which I mean its primary purpose in your vacation is somewhere to sleep and somewhere to bathe. The metro line is a bit further away than expected- nearly a mile. Otherwise it's a convenient location of the outskirts of the city for trips in to sightsee. The parking fee of 3.50 euro per hour tops out at 21 euro for the day so don't let the sign at the parking entrance scare you. The pillow selection is excellent but the shower pressure could definitely be better. Overall, very satisfying. Try to book online at a breakfast rate for a nicer room with morning repast. The independent price for breakfast is 23 euro per person, a European commonality but still usurous.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was pleased to read that your room was up to your expectations. Currently our engineering department is looking into the shower pressure and making sure it meets the highest quality Mercure stands for.

Nykoping, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Modern large hotels are often equipped with a centralised comfort ventilation system (temperature and fresh air) - which never works properly. Unfortunately, this hotel was no exception. You can't get fresh air by opening a window (basis for AC) and then the central system has to work properly. I'm used to cold conditions - 17-18 C - which is also the optimum temperature range for human beings to sleep in, according to science. It was FAR above this, guess 22-24C and impossible to control. Therefore value for money wasn't there, despite good service, cleanliness and a nice walking distance to down town.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our engineering department is looking into cooling system of the room and we will take measures in order to prevent future occurrence.

However I pleased to read that the cleanliness and the good service was up to your expectation. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor and I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The room are comfortable and clean, spacious, modern design, with a helpful staff. The breakfast is quite expensive (about 25 euros/pers). The hotel is quite far from the city center and there is no restaurant nearby, except the hotel one.

Room Tip: There is no interesting view from the hotel-business district
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!