“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Netherlands
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last weekend, just for 1 night, as this hotel is so conveniently located and it has an open-air parking area. Important when driving a van :-).
A very big plus is the free parking on Friday & Saturday!

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel - it looks so new! The gentleman at reception was very friendly and that already gives you a warm welcome. There's a bar & brasserie in the lobby area, nice atmosphere and good food.
The breakfast area is big, but the breakfast is just wonderful! There's an enormous selection of food and fresh orange juice.

The room is nicely decorated, you feel at home. Bathroom is perfect with a great shower. The only little minus I have is that the matress was a bit too hard for me. If I would have stayed longer I would have asked reception to put some blankets underneath the sheet.

We didn't turn on the AC so I cannot comment on that. Temperature in the room was fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert v, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor . We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Amsterdam Aan De Amstel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

891 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jaipur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at the Mercure for 3 nights with my family. We got to Amsterdam late in the evening and followed the instructions given on the hotel website to get there. When we disembarked from the train we were horrified to find ourselves in a dark, desolate station with not a soul in sight. We waited by the roadside for directions and after about 10 minutes we spotted company.We asked them for directions, they just turned around & pointed out the hotel as the pink neon sign on the high rise building was visible from where we stood and we felt silly for not having looked up. The rooms, the service, the breakfast and all other amenities were superb. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly although getting to the city did involve a 10 minutes walk to the tram or train station and a ride of about 30 minutes.There are no stores in the vicinity so if you need anything remember to carry it on the way back from the city center.

Room Tip: Avoid getting there late at night as the area is deserted.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important to us in order to improve our services towards our guests and serve them even better in the near future.

I was pleased to read that you were able to find the hotel. Next to that I was pleased to read that your stay was up to your expectations. We are getting a lot of positive feedback regarding our breakfast and I will definetly share your comments with my staff.

For your next stay I can recommend you to hire one of our bicycles or even a Vespa scooters which will make the trip to the city centre even shorter and perhaps even more enjoyable.

I hope you will choose the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel for your next stay in Amsterdam.

Sutton, Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Good hotel for a short business trip, in particular for events at the RAI. Staff particulalry friendly and helpful. . I had a creased shirt and on enquiring at reception instantly had an ironing broad and iron delivered to my room. Had my evening meal in the hotel and was very happy with the quality of the food and the restaurant service. Location may not be so convenient if visiting the city centre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Robert v, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Sharing your experiences enables us to improve our services towards our guests. We are located in the outskirts of Amsterdam but with several transportation options it is very easy to access Amsterdam.

I will share your comments regarding your restaurant experiences with my team who will be enlighten to hear about your positive feedback.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel

Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel was very nice/ clean/ modern. Is a little way out but i knew this when i booked it and dont find a short walk ( 10 mins max) and short tube ride into the center an issue (3 day pass was around 8 euros and can get on off as much as you wish) and the last tube to the hotel is at 00:30 which was great for us, you cant expect the standard of hotel for the same price in the center of amsterdam!! A little pointer there are no shops near by so if you need a bottle of water/pop in your room try get one while your out as the mini bar is very exspensive. If i ever returned to amsterdam i wouldnt hesitate to use this hotel again...fab stay.

Room Tip: we stayed in 817 which faced the canal very nice view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

First off al I would like to thank you for your feedback. It enlightens me to hear from guests who enjoyed their stay with us. Every day we strive to go beyond the point of expectations of our guests. In your case I believe we succeeded.

I will share your comment to my staff who will be delighted to hear of your great experience. A nice alternative for walking around in the city is hiring a Vespa at our hotel. This means of transportations allows you to see more of the city.

Thank you again for staying at our hotel and we hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Location was a little out of the way but public transport was easy to navigate (train from airport & tram from hotel to city). From hotel the tram is approx 10min walk away & then 30mim tram ride into the Dam (city centre).
Rooms were very modern & clean. Free Wifi in room.
Staff very friendly & helpful.
Breakfast was expensive so we didn't eat there. We did find a bakery & fruit shop opposite the tram which were cheap & delicious!

• Stayed July 2012

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

OK hotel at the entrance of Amsterdam. Public transpotation to city centre not without long walk to tram/buss.
Small rooms, clean, top breakfast. Quit busy and limited elevator capacity (when both in use).
Specific: room was not ready upon arrival (2.00 pm) and one elevator (out of 2) was out of order.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

`

Thank you again for staying at our hotel and we hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Had a 3 night stay in this hotel and would go back again. The breakfast was inclusive in the price i paid and well worth it. Room 1724 top floor in the new tower is where you need to be, great views and very quiet.
Yes its 10mins from central station on the metro, but its worth it for the high quality. Pay through the teeth for staying in the centre, no thanks.

Room Tip: High up in the new tower over looking the city (1724)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read your experiences where up to your expectations.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffets. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

Every day we strive to serve our guests even better. Your review will definitely motivate my staff.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!