“One Night Stand.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“One Night Stand.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just a fleeting visit to this hotel to see a concert nearby. Hotel was easy to find with ample parking,check in was easy with the added bonus of a room upgrade for my sister in law who was travelling with us. The rooms were excellent clean and well appointed with excellent views as we were on the 15 floor ! Loads of extras in the bathroom and a very well stocked minibar. The bed was very comfortable and it was a nice quiet position being on the top floor. The bar was pleasantly decorated and the staff polite,we ate here in the evening and the food was excellent and well prepared. Breakfast was again very good with a vast selection of options we should please anyone. I would recommend this hotel with no hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It is wonderfull to read about your positive experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

I was pleased to read about your good review regarding the breakfast. We are getting a lot of positive feedback about the breakfast, especially about our freshly squeezed orange juice.

These compliments will encourage our team to keep the service level high. We are looking forward of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We spent three nights at this hotel over a weekend. We didn't eat breakfast but did enjoy dinner in the bar on the last night. The service from every staff member we encountered was excellent (which we also experienced everywhere in the city). The food in the bar was very nice but more reasonably priced eatting out is available in the city centre.

The room had a large comfortable bed and was very well presented. If you're a light sleeper like me, you'll love how quiet it is and how effective the blackout curtaons are. No bath in the bathroom but an excellent shower.

Little niggles:
The only mirror and the hair drier are both in the bathroom. Ordinarily, I'd take first shower, so my partner could go in second, while I'd to sit in the bedroom at a dressing table to do my hair and make up. Also the hairdrier has a "dead man switch" which is very awkward when you're trying to style long hair. Also, if you've not been a couple long, the flimsy bathroom door next to the bed might remove some of the mystique of your relationship.

I'd still recommend the hotel. It's very accessible for the city centre. Take the Metro to and from the centre on the 51 Centraal - Westwijk line. They depart Overamstel (5 minute walk) every few minutes, running until after midnight. The 20 Euro we paid for a four-day travelcard, also covered us for unlimited tram and bus travel, which makes getting between tour attractions very easy

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read your experiences where up to your expectations.

Every day we strive to serve our guests even better. Your review will definitely motivate my staff. Next to that I was pleased to read about your positive experience about our rooms. It is very important to us that our guests get a good night sleep.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Mercure hotel is an OK hotel with nice rooms and good and friendly staff. Atmosphere is a bit impersonal as this is clearly a business hotel. Views from the relatively large rooms are nice! What is a big disappointment is the breakfast of the hotel, at a costs of 22,50euro per person, I found the buffet style breakfast very average and highly overpriced. It is a very non special breakfast with coffee from the machine and nothing special to it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback helps us to improve our services to our guests and serve them even better in the future.

I was surprised to read about your experiences during breakfast. We receive very little complaints about the breakfast and mostly receive excellent reviews. We serve an extended breakfast buffet with various cold cut meats and different kind of cheeses. Something of which I believe is an unique selling point is our freshly squeezed orange juice and fresh ground coffee.

Thank you for your good comments regarding the rooms and the service attitude or our staff. I will share your comments with my entire team and I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

chennai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Good Hotel , Close to city center ......... Yet away from the Hustle Bustle of the City .

Room Tip: Good Rooms and Basic Breakfast !
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Robert v, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

We are located just in the outskirt of Amsterdam and fairly close to public transportations. Next to that if you would like to easily access the city I can suggest renting a bicycle with us or a Vespa scooter.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Pros:
- Close to airport and downtown
- Excellent food - breakfast and lunch were superb; dinner left something to be desired but we were on a set menu. I had the vegan option and I got something that can best be described as spaghetti with Barbeque sauce (not edible). The rest of the food looked amazing though. Best vegetable soup I've ever had.
- Meeting space was fantastic.
- Nice welcome present of cookies
- Great view from room of canal; very picturesque

Cons:
- Rooms could do with a refresh
- Bar staff very slow
- Coffee breaks weren't that great - one coffee machine manned by a waiter, queue took forever, not many options
- Pillows too soft; couldn't get comfortable
- A/C didn't seem to work consistently; I'd wake up either freezing or unable to breathe in a horribly stuffy environment. I ended up opening the window, despite pouring rain, just to get some proper circulation.
- Amenities replaced sporadically; also not the greatest offering

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the refurbished tower; the other tower is filled with older rooms in desperate nee...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your extended and detailed review on Tripadvisor. Every day we try to improve our services towards our guests.

I was pleased to read about all your pro’s during your stay. These are points on which we as a team are very proud of.

I will address the service time of the bar with our F&B manager. Next to that we will address the coffee break issue. It could have been possible that other groups were using the coffee machine as well as we have 4 coffee machines spread out in our F&B areas.

In all our rooms we offer our guests 2 different pillows which lay on top of each other when you enter the room. The top one is a soft pillow and the button pillow is firmer. Next to that when you prefer a different kind of pillow our housekeeping department would be more than happy to provide you with one matched to your preferences.

The ventilation in our hotel provide all of the rooms and public spaces with a continues flow of fresh air. It may have been possible that one of the air conditioners was not working in your room due to a malfunction of the device. Our technical department is 24-hour per day available to assist you with any technical difficulties.

Currently we are re-formulation our guest relations service department and we will definitely take your feedback regarding the amenities in considerations

Thank you for your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel and I hope to welcome you again in our hotel

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Almost for a 5 star. This blow my mind after staying here for business for a night. Wished I had more time to discover this hotel in more. Have a nice bar alongside with all facilities. Rooms a huge and very comfortable. Also got a welcome present which is giving more of an introduction to this.
Breakfast could be better as the restaurant staff wasn't that friendly.
However part of that.. great stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that your stay was almost up to your expectations.

As a the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffets. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

I will definitely address the service attitude of my employees towards them to prevent future occurrence.

Thank you for your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel and I hope to welcome you again.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

after visiting Amsterdam last year we again returned in may this year. We had a enjoyable break the hotel was excellent ,very comfortable rooms facilities were very good and the food was very good .The hotel staff was very accommodating and pleasant .I really have not a bad word to say .The hotel location was perfect for us just a short walk or tram ride to the center .I would certainly stay here again. A very satisfied customer

Room Tip: Good food ,comfortable rooms ,good service
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your stay. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests had a pleasant stay. Every day I motivate my employees to go beyond the point of expectation.

Next to that I can recommend you our loyalty program Le Club Accor. The loyalty program is free of charge and able to redeem points at any Accor hotel in the world. It certainly gives you another plus during your stay and in the future. Would you have any questions about our extensive loyalty program please visit our website.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Robert van Vliet

Been to Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!