“The Good and The Not so Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Centre

Save Saved
You added Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijdskolk 19, 1012 PV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #65 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
“The Good and The Not so Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

The Good: Closeness to Central Station is a plus, about a 10 minute walk. Also, the closeness to City Center, RLD, Damrak, Shopping, Restaurants is a very big plus. The housekeeping staff are very friendly when you see them in the halls. The rooms are spotlessly clean. Bed and linens are extremely comfortable. Good hot water, AC/Heat worked perfectly. The Bar is nice and relaxing in the evening to sit and have a Heineken and catch up on emails with the strong wifi signal. Bartender remembered what I ordered only after one visit the next night, nice. The concierge was friendly and helpful. The decor is modern and different, but I liked it. The room was incredibly quiet for being in the City Center. Getting a Taxi to the airport from the hotel is cheaper than flagging one down, you buy a voucher for 42 Euros from the front desk then they call and 5 minutes you have a Taxi.

The Not So Good: The elevator situation is a little weird if they put you in a room in the back of the hotel, actually another building. You go up 2 floors on one elevator, get off and go down a long hall to another elevator to go up to your floor. With that said, the elevators are fast and you don't wait more than a few seconds.

Hotel advertises Free Wifi in every Room, not true, being in the back the signal is weak and if you can actually get on you won't have a signal long, minutes at most, I'd say 90% of the time I tried to use it in my room there no signal. Very frustrating since I booked this hotel over another hotel like it because of the Free Wifi as I needed to keep up with work emails daily. Complaining at Front Desk will get you nowhere, they don't care.

Re: Front Desk Staff, some are grumpy and unhelpful especially at night, not all, most. The sign you hang on your door, one side says “Please Do Not Disturb”, the other side says “Please Clean My Room” Me being a bit of a night owl I like to sleep in, so I hang the “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door, every morning I get a call from the Housekeeping Supervisor asking me if I want my room cleaned. If I wanted my room cleaned don’t you think I would have hung the side that said “Please Clean My Room”? Maybe they don’t know how to read I guess. That was annoying since I said the 2nd time they called I don’t want my room cleaned if I have the “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door. They still called.

Upon checking out they tried to charge me for 7 days of breakfast which I never had breakfast one day there. She started to argue with me and said it says here you did, I said I don’t even eat breakfast kinda irritated and she quickly said there must be a problem with our computer, I’ll take it off. I wonder if that is just standard practice to charge you until you argue it.

Would I stay here again? Maybe, if I couldn't find a better one in the same location and rating. I liked the location, the clean rooms and the hotel itself. Just wished they wouldn’t advertise free wifi in every room when they know it isn’t. That is my biggest complaint. The other stuff I can live with.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011 via mobile

I stayed in may 2011, with my partner. The hotel was just as others had written. Great value, good room, good location, helpful and friendly staff. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2011
Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I can't say enough about the Location of this hotel it is a short walk to almost every where in Amsterdam. The rooms are very clean and if you upgrade for a small fee they are quiet big enough for everyone. After all you want to enjoy Amsterdam and only sleep in your room.
I also can not say enough about how helpfull the staff was. Anytime wee needed anything they were freindly and always willing to help. They gave us some great ideas for places to eat and evey meal we had was above average. We spent every night before going to dinner out front of the hotel in the court yard for drinks and had dinner one night there as well.
Amsterdam is a great city and this hotel is in a great location to experience all you can within a short walk.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Firstly, the hotel's location is fantastic. It is less than 10 minutes' walk (even with heavy bags!) from Centraal Station, either straight down Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal or down Damrak then cutting through the alleys around Nieuewendijk. It is located on Nieuewzijds Kolk, a small courtyard with bars and restaurants, leading to many more food/drink places down the alleys: brown bars, coffeeshops, fast food and bakeries - all with late night opening. (Would personally recommend Wok to Walk, 420 Coffeeshop, and the Croissanterie opposite that.) A main tramstop leading to the wider city is located only a few steps away from the hotel on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal. Dam Square, the Red Light District, several shopping areas and the Grachtengordel are each only a few minutes' walk away

The hotel itself is very smart and the reception staff were friendly (and helped me with my stumbling Dutch! Their English is perfect). They stored our bags for us before we could access our room and also after we had checked out.

The 'Superior' room was a decent size, quiet, and very clean; its view was onto an internal courtyard and the breakfast room. It had a wardrobe, suitcase rest, desk, flatscreen TV with remote, a table, two chairs, several lamps, bedside tables, a mini bar, and tea and coffee facilities; plus the double bed was enormous! The en suite bathroom was fine and, most importantly, clean, although I'm not sure how much I'd agree with the hotel's description of 'luxury'. It does have a bath with a good shower, but it is a touch small and the decor and hairdyer is only basic. It did have nice toiletries: the usuals, plus a basic beauty kit and bath chrystals. Housekeeping were very prompt in bringing extra tea/coffee etc when we asked. The room also had free wifi which was a useful bonus.

We didn't eat breakfast or a meal there so cannot comment on that, but the bar area looked nice and cosy. The same area also had two PCs with internet for guests to use.

All in all a very pleasant clean hotel with nice staff and a fabulous location. Would certainly consider staying here again. Amsterdam itself was lovely, we were very lucky with the Easter weather, and would definitely recommend a visit.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location as its in close proximity to all the major attractions. The hotel itself is very nice. During our stay we had a standard double room which was big enough and easily comfortable for two people. The staff from the breakfast area, the room service staff, etc were all extremely helpful and friendly.

The only downside to the hotel is a couple members of the Reception staff as mentioned in the title. Examples of this include not helping when requiring assistance about restaurants that might be open after 11pm, standing outside smoking knowing that we are waiting at the reception desk for their assistance and lastly charging us AGAIN for City Tax. We had already paid for the tax when booking the hotel however the Receptionist insisted on charging it again. I wrote an email to them three days ago asking for a refund however I have not heard from them.

If it wasnt for the negatives mentioned then I would definitely have rated this as a five but the staff in question severely let the hotel down.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Recently stayed for 5 nights at the Inntel Hotel Amsterdam Centre in Amsterdam. We were very pleased with our stay. The room was your normal European room but was large enough for a king sized bed, small table, and a couple chairs. The room had a mini-fridge for our personal items and the hotel had free wifi. There were 2 elevators that required key access and were in good working order. The hotel and room was quiet on all nights. The room was clean upon arrival and cleaned very well each day. Cannot say enough about the location as it was within 3 blocks of the central train station, 2 blocks from where you can get tours and board tour buses and many eating places. A supermarket was within 2 blocks. We took the train from the airport to Central Station and walked the 3 blocks to the hotel easily. The hotel staff spoke excellent English and were very responsive when we asked for more towels. We do not plan on visiting Amsterdam anything again soon but if we were to, this is the hotel that we'd stay at.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Our first of three nights in Amsterdam, I booked the Inntel because there was no availability at the b&b in the Museumplein where we spent our last two nights. I was grateful for the opportunity to be close to the train station (where we came in) and especially pleased when they offered us a free upgrade to a junior suite.

Our room was comfortable and spacious. The real orchid was a nice touch. The bed was super comfortable and the flat screen TV at the foot of the bed was an unusual placement. The bathroom was nice. Especially the double showerhead - see photo. The view out the window was gorgeous during the day, but on a Saturday night was quite noisy (right on a touristy square).

Everyone at the front desk was very helpful - even recommended an area of town for dinner that proved to be excellent. (We ate at Restaurant Zwaantje in the Nine Streets area.)

Room Tip: Go with a junior suite