“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw

You added Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw to your Saves list
Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 93 - 94, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #125 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Aukra
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

Had booked a smoking room for two nights for me and my partner to celebrateh my 30th birthday. We chose this hotel based upon location and that we could get a smoking room. When we arrived the room wasn`t ready (we arrived early) but we could leave our bags there and go for lunch while we waited. When we got back we got an upgrade (not sure why, I think there had been some mix-up with the booking or something) so we got a huge room that we instantly fell in love with. It was clean, cosy and suprisingly enough very quiet. We liked it so much we decided to stay another night, and we were so lucky we got to keep the same room.
The hair dryer was broken, we didn`t mind because neither of us were planning using it, but it was still fixed during the first day of our stay, even without us requesting it.
We love this hotel and are already making plans about going back in february next year for my partners birthday. The staff was so friendly and helpful - my vallet was stolen and they were so helpful with both directions to the police station and connecting me with visa to cancel my credit card.
There was one thing though that I found a bit strange - and I`m sure the cleaning staff did to :) My back hurts really bad sometimes and it helps me to lay on the floor when it happens. So the second morning I took my covers with me and fell asleep on the floor, and woke up a few hours later when one of the cleaners was in the room, trying to check if someone was under the cover on the floor. Fair enough, but what I was thinking about later is that when they came into the room, they must have seen my partner still sleeping in the bed. So why they still came in I don`t know - maybe curiosity took over. I don`t see it as a reason to not stay at the hotel - me and my partner got a good laugh wondering what the cleaning staff were thinking when he was in bed and I was on the floor.
Very happy with the stay all over, and I had a great birthday!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Dear Madam,
It was a plesure for my team and myself to learn that you had such a pleasant stay. You liked the upgrade which does not mean necessarily that there was a mix-up with the reservations. We apologize that the hairdryer was broken when you arrived. I presume that you had a room on the first floor where we still have an old model hairdryer against the wall. That is the floor where we shall start renovations in january 2011. Our room-attendants have the instruction to knock twice and I hope the one who came into your room did so. The attendant should have seen that there was someone in the bed but was probably so curious to see why the bedcovers were on the ground that he or she overlooked this. We are looking forward to welcoming you again next year.
Rene R.F. Wildeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I was just for a couple of nights in Amsterdam! My company booked this hotel and it was a great stay! If you needed some help the staff of the front-desk were there for you!
The food in de restaurant was SUPER. They know howe to serve a good meal for a good price...service in the restaurant....SUPER en very proffesional.
The rooms were a bit small but very clean.....and it was only for sleeping.
Next time???? YES!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
We were pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay at our property and that you enjoyed our restaurant. We were happy to receive positive comments on our staff once again.
We look forward to your next visit
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Upon entering the hotel I was greeted with such friendliness and professionalism by all staff. The staff is 5star. The hotel is 5star. The location is 5star. The restaurant is 5star. Everything about this hotel is 5star. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Our aim is to give our guests a positive experience and appararently we succeeded in your case. Nevertheless, to call our property a 5 star hotel is not the reality. As far as location is concerned we agree that we are situated on a top location, just 50 meters of Dam Square. And of course we appreciated the comments on our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again
René R.F. Wildeman
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Centrally located this hotel is ideal as a base for anywhere in Amsterdam. We got train from airport and then walked from station (10 minutes) and then got hop on hop off ticket for water bus. All very convenient and easy. Staff all made a point of being friendly and room was clean and had everything you could want (except a nice view!) We were at the back. The good bit of this though was that we never heard any noise from the street. A lot of guests seem to complain on here about the glass door on bathroom but this was not a problem and at least it is obscured glass. Bathroom was rather small with loo and sink very close but nevertheless was not a huge complaint. We found the retaurant too expensive for our budget but at least being central you can find alternatives for breakfasts and meals in easy walking distance. All in all a very pleasant stay and would definitely recommend to others

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
It was a pleasure to learn that you had a nice stay in Amsterdam and at our property . Indeed, because of the double glassed windows, our rooms are quiet not only at the back but also at the front. As we can not change the size of our rooms we put an emphasis on cleanliness and friendliness. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future
René R.R. Wildeman
Arundel, South England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Very helpful and friendly staff, lovely hotel, clean, tidy, great room service. Bathroom very satisfactory, very comfy bed, good selection of movies for all ages, and not too expensive. We did not eat there however, but the location was brilliant as there were so many restaurants at our doorstep. A 5-10 minute walk from the nearest coffee shop and Red Light District. Although our room backed onto a street, we were not woken up early or kept up late, however, the time at which we slept was not kept :) It's a great place if you want to experience the real Amsterdam way of life but still be able to get back to a comfy bed and warm room with a tasty selection in the minibar (be careful not to raid once returning from the coffee shops - it can add up!). Towels were always clean, and bed always made with clean sheets. We are going back this summer (2010) and cannot wait! We both recommend it highly... to anyone. In brief; in the heart of everything it gives you just the right touch to make your Amsterdam holiday perfect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We are pleased to learn that you were so satisfied that you will return again soon to our property. Yes, our location is an assett that cannot be taken from us. Close to everything and on the very spot were the first houses were built some 800 years ago.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I was on holidays at a friends place in Brussels and decided to go to Amsterdam overnight. I paid a great price for a last minute room a couple days before Queen's Day last year and I could not have been more pleased. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable, friendly and helpful staff, and awesome location right off Dam square and down the street from Centraal Station. I will definately stay there again next time I am in Amsterdam. Great value for your money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Although your stay seems to have been nearly a year ago, we are nevertheless happy that you still remember your stay as positive.
In the past year we have improved our product even further with a new serie of bathrooms.Also some changes have been made on the staff level so that we are still more customer-driven than before. But the majority of our staff remains loyal so we hope that you will be satisfied again upon a next visit.
Knokke-Heist
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

The people at the reception are very kind and polite, they help you with all your problems and demands, the search the info that your are asking for.
In the restaurant they are also very kind and polite, the food was excellent.
We really enjoyed our vacation with them

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Our staff met your expectations according to your review. Customer satisfaction is very important and when we hire new staff we always look if they will be able to meet the expectations of our guests. We hope to welcopme you again in the future
Rene Wildeman