“Location and Comfortable Room & Bed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw to your Saves list
Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 93 - 94, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #110 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Location and Comfortable Room & Bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was my second time staying here and was a little anxious when i noticed the building works taking place outside my room window... however, no noise and no disruption.

The room i had, was clearly upgraded in comparison to my last visit. The bedroom was warm and quiet, though smaller than the last one i had. The bathroom had been modernized and was superb.

The staff as per last time, were great and friendly.

All i can really say past this is, the location is simply superb with being so close to the train station (4mins walk), pubs & restuarants and general entertainment in the area and as such is great value for money as a result.

Room Tip: pay just a little bit more for a higher level room, it makes a big difference in space and comfort
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
All our rooms have double windows so even during the works which took place, you could be assured of a good sleep at night without noise.. The upgrade of our street is finished in front of our hotel so there are no works anymore.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again
René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Partner booked this as a birthday treat. First time I have been to Amsterdam. He requested a room with a view, and did we get one! Own double balcony above the restaurant, overlooking Dam and Dam Square. When windows were shut, no noise could be heard. Was nice to stand on balcony and people watch.

Room was massive, and very beautiful. Wooden floors, nice firm bed and bedding. TV, Coffee Maker, Alarm clock with iphone dock, Internet access. Funky door controls to add Do Not Disturb signs. Massive bathroom, with wonderful shower and bath. Only disaapointment was no light above the sink so dark when trying to shave.

Staff were very friendly and helpful (apart from one guy, who came across quite miserable). Would definitely recommend and look forward to staying there again sometme. Same room please!!! :-)

Room Tip: Room 101, was amazing! Great view, noisy if window open
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to learn that you had a nice stay at our property. Apparantely you had one of the Junior Suites at the front so it makes it easy to figure out for me which one needs more lights above the sink. I apologize that one employee looked miserable. We do our utmost to give a happy time to our guests but also to our staff so I hope next time he will look happier.
We look forward to your next visit
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I visited Amsterdam last month for a conference. The hotel's main draw is its location. It's next to Dam Square and the shopping belt at damrak & a short walk to the red light district.

I had a standard room with a king (actually queen) size bed. That cost me €205/night. The room was reasonable in size which resulted in a very small toilet. So much so that the bathroom door could not be opened completely with the bed in the way. There was no shower door or curtain which meant the toilet was flooded every time I had a bath. Thankfully I was alone. If my kids were with me, I dread to imagine the state of the bathroom after they finish with it.

The TV screen was too small for the distance it was placed from the bed. Otherwise the room was well equipped with a minibar & safe.

Most interestingly, the room I had was sloping! I had a sense after being in the room for a day. So I took a can of coke from the minibar and placed it on the floor at one end of the room. True enough, it rolled quite briskly to the other side.

The lift was small and extremely slow. I guess that is to be expected in an old hotel like this one. The breakfast of scrambled eggs bacon, cold meats, cereals, yoghurt juice and toast was adequate but the same everyday.

The jewel in this establishment is the staff. Courteous, polite, helpful. Always with a smiling face. They do their best with what they have.

I guess I would consider returning to this hotel the next time I visit Amsterdam.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
103 years of history also show in our building. Although all our safety and IT equipment in the back-of-the-house is state-of -the art, the building shows its history. For decades after the opening in 1911 our guests had to share bathrooms on each floor until it was decided that private bathrooms were a "must". Giving each room a private bathroom must have been a headache for the architect with the result that some rooms have small and some huge bathrooms.
One lift is also a restriction we are facing. We were one of the first properties to install flatscreen TV's but the size of TV's for consumers has grown since so in September of this year, all rooms will reveive new flat screen TV's of a bigger size together with quicker internet connections and a better coverage and a huge number of TV channels. This will remain FREE of charge.
Your experience with the sloping floor amused me, although it is a serious matter. Sloping floors are very common in Amsterdam as the houses are standing on (wouden) poles in a swamp underground. This is why you will notice many houses in Amsterdam leaning against others. I was happy to learn that the staff made a great impression and I hope we shall have the pleasure of seeing you again in the future
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The bed was soooo comfy. The location was superb. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially the one young man on the day shift (forgot his name unfortunately). Pricey but probably no more so than other hotels in that area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
We thank you for your review and were happy that you enjoyed the bed. Good location is one thing but a good nightrest another. I shall forwrd your complients to our staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We only stayed one night at this hotel due to having to cancel our original accommodation at the last minute. I have to say that the room we stayed in was quite small. Unfortunately when showering the water also ends up all over the floor. Minor details though. The way we have been treated here, we feel like royalty. The general manager has gone above and beyond the call to make our stay pleasurable including breakfast on the house due to the problems we had with our original accommodation. I am more than happy to recommend a stay at this hotel. A fancy room is one thing but being made to feel that you are the centre of attention is just mind blowing. Thankyou so much to the staff at this wonderful location.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that some shortcmings in the building were compensated by the hospitality of our staff. They do like their job and that's why even the younger members of our staff are already working several years with us.
We hope to welcome you again
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman
Billericay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Good location just off Dam Square in Central Amsterdam and on Tram 4 route so good direct connection to the RAI Conference Centre. Room with double bed had most facilities required BUT while it would have been OK for sole occupancy and one night it was not up to scratch for a couple staying for a week as we were. At the package rate of £130 per night (Plus tax that had to be paid separately) for 'room only' (breakfast extra) it was not particularly good value. I didn't check out the superior rooms (Euro 30 pp pn extra) but suspect they might be somewhat better. On positive side - a classic Amsterdam city hotel with classic restaurant but limited by room size, one lift for all floors etc etc. Amsterdam as a city was a bit disappointing too compared to my last visit - garbage workers were on a 'work to rule' so very 'scruffy' and far too many road works!

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room or a room on the noisy main road side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
First of all I would like to thank you for the review. Our comfort rooms may indeed be at the small side for guests staying for a longer period. That's why we offer superior rooms for a minor surcharge. Not only are those rooms more spacious but they also have a bathtub and an espresso machine in addition to the standard equipment. I regret that you were not 100% satisfied due to the size of the acommodation. It is true that Amsterdam did not show its best face during the strike of the garbage collectors and did you had a less positive impression of the town than after a previous visit. It is true that the a lot of road works are going on due to the works in realtion of the new metro line under the city centre but by the end of the year the street in front of our property will look much better than ever before. We hope that during a next visit Amsterdam will show how many improvements have been made in the city during the last decade
Yours sincerley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The most ultimate unpolite and non professional behaviour at the hotel by the staff (even the "week end" manager Peter)
I had agreed a late check out 2 days earlier, but I was woken up at 11. and asked to leave the facility immediately. The hotel was fully booked.
No one the staff were not able to handle this kind of mess. The 4 star hotel can not afford to have that poor staff! Maybe in Holland they do...
The facility was average level and the location good.
The breakfast was 2 star level with a price of 16€.
During 4 nights stay, they cleaned just once...

Simply I must forward my deepest sorry to the hotel owners. Look and watch what kind of staff you have in charge of your business!!!

During the second day of my stay there were a strong smell of weed on the first floor corridor... No wonder, it is Amsterdam!

The rooms were small like they are always in AMS. The toilet/shower combination was terrible. I mean a 4 star hotel has a guest room shower which wets all the toilet and the toilet door so the water flows to the room.

Lunch and dinner service was an average tourist class in guite a nice street restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
It is true that it had been agreed the previous day that you could have a late check-out. By mistake, for which I sincerely apologize, this had not been comminicated to the staff on duty. Nevertheless this can never be a reason to come down to the Front-Office and shout at the staff. We are well educated people and as you can learn from previous reviews, our staff is always praised. Furthermore we can not accept that you publish a picture of our staff without their consent. In our country publishing pictures of persons without their consent is punishable according to legislation about privacy.

Been to Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw? Share your experiences!