“Good hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw to your Saves list
Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 93 - 94, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #104 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Belfast
“Good hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Good hotel, super location - We enjoyed a corner suite overlooking Dam Square. Nice modern, spacious rooms. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Good restaurant with a great menu. Eight of us (4 couples) stayed at the De Roode Leeuw for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our hotel and it's surrounding. One disappointment we had. No bar area which means you have to use the mini bar for a nightcap :-(

Room Tip: Try for the corner suite overlooking Dam Sq, great room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
It was a pleasure to learn that you liked your stay. And we did like the picture you posted with all of you on the bed of your room. No, we do not have a bar but there are so many bars in the neigbourhood which can compensate this.so the minibar in the room has only to be used in case of emergency.
We hope to see all of you back again soon

With best regards
Rene Wildeman, General Manager

622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here on the 9th February (4 adults, 2 rooms) for a brief overnight trip to Amsterdam. None of us had ever visited before, so this hotel looked ideal for it's location.
Being opposite Dam Square and only a 5/10 minute walk from central station was ideal for us and out short time in Amsterdam. We arrived just after 10am, and was greeted by the friendly reception staff who told us our rooms were ready. Our room on the 2nd floor was small, but let’s be honest, do you really need a big room if you’re out exploring Amsterdam? Of course not. What was important is that the room was clean and tidy, which it was, and that the bed was comfortable, which it was. The room had been re-furbished and looked minimal and modern. Very nice. My only complaint is there wasn’t a shower curtain which obviously means water all over the floor in the bathroom. But, if that’s my only complaint, then it’s just me being picky. Also, very handy in being able to leave our bags upon checkout and collect later in the day when we needed to head home.
We didn’t take breakfast at the hotel, but that was a group decision, but there’s plenty around on Damrak and the surrounding area. Great location as Dam Square is just over the road, the red light district is close by, within walking distance to attractions such as the Anne Frank house. Would definitely recommend as a good base, and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Also in winter Amsterdam is attractive and I am happy you enjoyed your visit to our city and the hotel. We are aware of the fact that we made a mistake in designing some bathrooms which causes flooding. We are trying to find a solution to it. |We hope that you will visit our city and hotel again in the future
Newport-on-tay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 day break in Amsterdam. The Hotel Amsterdam could not have been better situated. It is just round the corner from Dam Square and only a 10 minute walk from the Central Station.
The rooms are modern but a little on the small side. Unusually they don't have carpet. Bed was very comfortable.
The restaurant is very attractive and breakfast was good value.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would happily recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again on any future trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I was pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay in Amsterdam and enjoyed your stay at Hotel Amsterdam-De Roode Leeuw. Indeed we have renovated all our rooms and do not have any carpets on the floor anymore. In my opinior carpets are not very hygienic so I selected a covering of the floor that matches the requirements of modern hotels although we are over 100 years old.
We hope to welcome you again in the near future
With best regards
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a surprise trip to Amsterdam for my boyfriends birthday. When we arrived at centraal station is was raining buckets. The hotel was about a ten minute walk from the station, by the time we arrived we were totally saturated by the rain and just wanted to get checked in and chill out in our room.
The check in process was very long winded and seemed to take a lot longer than normal. As we made our way to the lift (there is only one) we noticed a sign "no outside food or drink allowed in the rooms, if there was any found when the room was cleaned there would be an extra charge" that for me started to ring alarm bells as the hotel restaurant menu was very expensive and didn't look appetising. We made our way to our room on the fourth floor upon entering the room it was clean but extremely small, we also noticed we didn't have a double room which is what I originally booked we were given two single beds shoved together as soon as you sat on the bed they moved apart. The view overlooking the square was beautiful but this did not make up for the fact that we wanted to have a romantic break and sleep in the same bed. The bathroom was so tiny you would sit on the toilet and your knee was touching the shower screen. No space for toiletries either. It was meant to be a wet room but whenever you had a shower it flooded. Please be aware if you have an iPhone the wifi doesn't connect which was extremely frustrating. Breakfast is €16 each very overpriced walk five minutes down the road and you can eat a full English or continental for €5. I complained to the front desk about the bed and wifi they said that just because I'd booked a double bed doesn't mean that when I arrived I would get a double bed now call me crazy but if I pay for something I expect to get what I paid for not an alternative when I get there. They didn't know what was wrong with the wifi but they knew iPhone doesn't connect? Be aware there is a city tax charge of 5%
I was glad we were only staying 3 days as we had cabin fever after 1 night as you felt a bit like u were in prison due to the size of the room. This ruined our trip and we will not return. Not 4 star at all I wouldn't mind but it wasn't a cheap trip it was nearly £600 quid.

• Stayed November 2012
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
It was with regret that I learend that we have ruined your stay and apologize that we could not make your stay an enjoyable one. It started with pooring rain which is not the best way to start a stay . You mentioned that a sign stated that there would be an extra charge when food was found in the room. There has never been such a policy or sign only a mention that open food and drinks were not allowed.
Breakfast in hotels is always more expensive than in any fastfood outlet around the corner but with € 15.-- we are offering one of the cheapest breakfasts of all hotels in our category. For that price you have a vast choice including fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, yoghourts and many more.
I was sorry that no room with a double bed was available during your stay, probably because we still had one floor out of order for renovation. Nevertheless, as stated on our and other websites, we never guarantee double-bedded rooms and it is always written that this kind of rooms is "according to availability " because of the limited number available.
We always do our utmost to honour requests but it is not always possible.
Many of our guests use our free WiFi network on their iPhone or other smartphone without any problem however one can experience problems because of the settings or if the phone is out of reach of the network. We are not aware of any problem on our network as we also use it oursleves with our iPhones.
I regret that we will not have the pleasure of welcoming you again
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

January of 2013 was my 6th time in Amsterdam and 2nd time in this hotel. At my first time staying there, in January of 2012, I wasn't a big fan of the service already, we didn’t feel welcome. It’s almost like they are doing you a favor for letting you stay there. Since they had smokers rooms we decided to come back.
In our return to De Roode Leeuw we discovered they don’t have smokers’ rooms anymore. We had no other option besides to stay there since the hotel was already pre-paid. Again, we were received with plenty of rules. The no food and drinks rule is very strange for me because they don’t have room service, at all. They have a restaurant in the hotel that is pricey and it closes very early. Their breakfast isn't worth the price either.
In my first day staying there, I got in the hotel drinking orange juice. We were received badly by “the hater” saying I could not get inside the hotel with my drink. The problem is they don’t have any garbage bin near and I had to cross the street to find a trash can to throw away my drink. If there is such rule, why not have a garbage bin close to make things easy? And another important thing, I didn't hear a “thanks” or “please”.
The good part is the rooms were renovated. They look cute, but they are very small, we could not take our clothes out of the luggage. The cleaning staff was nice. Even when we didn’t let them get in to clean, they left us clean towers by the door. The bathroom was fine, but after one shower the entire bathroom is soaking wet. They don’t have any division between the shower and the rest of bathroom, not even a curtain. They had a hair drier, which I appreciate because of the cold weather, but there was no energy socket inside the bathroom.
At the 3rd day, we could not resist it and we smoked by the window. Guess what? We were BUSTED!! Well, our fault, so we paid the fine of 125 euros for our mistake. What I and my husband could not stand was to be interrogated by “the hater”. Why did we smoke? Hum, maybe because we are smokers? Paying the fine was a success because we finally heard a “thanks” for the first time.
Next time in Amsterdam I won’t go back to this hotel for sure. I prefer stay one block further of Dam Square in a hotel they know how to treat their customers and make the guests feel welcome.

Room Tip: In the rooms at the center you don't have a nice view besides other windows, but the good thing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is with regret that I learned that you did not like your stay at our hotel mainly because of "The hater". My staff and myself do not work in the hospitality industry because we hate people but because we want to please our guests and want them to feel welcome.
Nevertheless, there are some basic rules we should like our guests to respect. As smoking is forbidden by law, we can not tolerate guests breaking this law. Other guests do not appreciate staying in rooms with a smell of smoke. Guests coming in with open drinks and food are kindly requested to consume this outside. There is a big garbage bin standng next to our front-office desk in the lobby where one can get rid of all kinds of garbage. It is not a pleasure for our cleaning staff to continuously remove stains of spoiled drinks on the carpets of the corridors or remove remains of food from the rooms.We do provide room service and have complimentary coffee- and tea making facilities in all rooms. You appreciated the hairdryer but did not find the socket to plug it in the bathroom. The plug is next to the hardryer although this might be a different kind of plug that you are used to in your country.
I am sorry that we could not do better to make your stay a pleasant one
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel - a group of 5.

What a surprise it was as often when booking not known hotels or chains you do not know what to expect.

All staff were friendly and went out their way to be so.

The room was a refreshing surprise - Modern & non fussy , quite clearly recently refurbished, and had all mod cons you would expect of a 4 star hotel.

Working in the hospitality industry myself and for one of the biggest hotel companies in the world I have very high expectations and these were met by the standard in all areas of this establishment.

Everyone in our group were pleased with the overall standard and we have all said that upon our return we shall quite happily stay here.

We stayed in rooms 218.220 & 221, the only couple of gripes were that one of the rooms were a lot smaller and did not have a bath and the noise above from other rooms, however this is to be expected in most hotels and died down eventually..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Reviews of all guests our valued by me and my team but the reviews of persons working in the hospitality industry are valued even more as those persons are very critical when travelling, like I am myself .
We cannot change the lay-ut of our hotel as the property is over 100 years old ( and still under the same ownership) so we also have some smaller rooms. We tried to compensate this by making the interior attractive. We did not use any interior specialist but designed the interior ourselves and will resume full renovation of rooms and staircase within the coming weeks.
We were very pleased to learn that you and your party enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in a not too distant future.

René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just recently went on a trip to Amsterdam for a vacation. Stayed at the Hotel Amsterdam for 5 nights. We arrived on a Wednesday and stayed through the weekend. Rooms are updated and have modern amenities. Several outlets for international plugs. Small refridgerator and TV in the room. Beds were comfy and clean. The modern design shower needed a shower curtain. Water everywhere when taking a shower.
Even though it is clearly marked that there is no smoking, on the weekend it was smoky in the hallways. My room was not smoky so it was a little bit of a hinderance.
Location is great. Close to many pubs, restaurants and of course, the Red Light District. Easy to walk to just about anywhere.
When in Amsterdam, you have to watch for street cars and bicyclists. Bycycle paths are right outside the hotel. Look both ways.
Overall, good experience at the Hotel Amsterdam. Location and modern rooms outweigh the smoky hallways on the weekends.

Room Tip: I chose a room in the interior on the 1st floor (remember floors start at zero in Europe). I was ea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Smoking is prohibited by law in all public places, including hotels. Despite this interdiction there are still guests who do smoke and not only tobacco. If we discover this we invoice them with € 125.-- for cleaning expenses and this is written at the front-office desk as well as in the rooms. We sincerely apologise for the fact that the disrespect of the rules by other guests was a nuissance to you and hope this will not be a reason not to visit us again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you again
René Wildeman, General Manager

Been to Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw? Share your experiences!