“Noise and bedbugs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Half Moon Bay, California
“Noise and bedbugs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed at the Renaissance two days this week and one night in January. For me, the price was OK with free internet due to a corporate agreement. One big negative was I came home twice with red bites. The first time I thought maybe the red marks were hives or a food reaction, but after a second time, I think it may be bed bugs. Secondly, for such a nice hotel, it is noisy. One morning I heard the television in the room next to mine. On another morning I heard people in the halls and the cleaning people. Final negative, parking was €50 per night. An incredibly high fee! I am going to pass on staying here on my next trip to Amsterdam

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend,booked through booking.com so we got a fairly good deal which included breakfast both days.
Brilliant location 5-10 min walk to central train station and within easy walking distance of most attractions.
When we arrived it was tipping down with rain so made our way to hotel even though we were to early to book in,guy behind reception very helpful we couldn't go to our room but he bought us a towel to dry off with and showed us to an empty room so we could change from our wet clothes he then stored our bags so we could go off and get some lunch.brilliant!!
Rooms nice and comfy only compliant was there was now tea/coffee or kettles in the room you have to request these from guest services and pay 3euro to have them bought up to the room.
We will defiantly use this hotel on our trips to Amsterdam!!

• Stayed August 2010
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

I have stayed here 3 times this month and love the location. The hotel appears to be recently renovated and is nicer than the Marriott. I highly recommend it if you get a good room.

Generally, the service is very good, although the breakfast service definitely varies depending on how busy they are. At the peak, everyone is running around or standing by the entrance talking together. When there are not many guests, the restaurant staff are very friendly, talkative and helpful.

The room vary in size and view from adequate size with a great view of old buildings to small with dark, interior views. Also be careful of too much noise from trucks outside in the morning.

The food is similar to high-end hotels. My only complaint is the Internet service from ibahn. It is often slow or having problems that require calling tech support.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

On our stay at the Renaissance, we were using Amsterdam as a base for trips out to towns and cities in the area. We chose the hotel partly for this reason as it is within easy walking distance of Central Station. The location generally is good, roughly mid way between the station and Dam Square, with shops, nightlife and other attractions only a few minutes walk away.

The public areas of the hotel are comfortable and welcoming. Our room was large and spacious - very comfortable beds too. The hotel staff were always polite and helpful.

Breakfast is very good with plenty of choice and dinner in the Mediterranean restaurant was excellent. The hotel also has a good bistro.

Would recommend the Renaissance to anyone planning a short break in Amsterdam. The only downside is that it is rather expensive, not a good choice if you're on a travelling on a budget!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We spent New Years in Amsterdam and found this gem on the tripadvisor website. The price was incredibly reasonable for a five star hotel. Just a quick walk from the train station and equidistant to the center of town. The room was very spacious with an amazingly comfortable bed, but not much of a view. The concierge was very helpful in helping us find restaurants and make reservations. All staff were very accommodating and spoke perfect English. The best part? They served delicious pastries in the afternoon on New Year's Eve AND the caramel wafers for free at the desk 24/7. I would agree with the other reviews that the hotel charges astronomical fees for any extras, i.e. internet, room service, etc. Overall, a great start to 2011!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

This hotel is located very close to the train station and just about everything else. I had purchased a GVB (public) transit card for the duration of my stay but ended up using it only twice as most things are under a mile from the hotel. In regard to amenities, the hotel offers coffees and teas in the morning (at the bar) free of charge. They can be enjoyed with the complimentary newspapers located throughout. A concierge plus an information type office staffed by friendly personnel can help you plan your day. The rooms are larger than most standard rooms I've stayed at in Europe. Our room was equipped with a large flat screen TV with limited channels.
We had a robe in need of fabric softener and slippers in our room. The room had a safe, hair dryer, and iron with ironing board. The comfy king bed had a total of 6 nice pillows. The room was warmer than I liked and a/c was a little difficult to operate. Fortunately, the windows open so the temperature wasn't too hard to control. Other reviewers are correct in stating that noise carries. Thanks to those reviewers, I took some earplugs and only noticed the noise before turning out the lights. I forgot to put them in one night and did get waken up but I think it all depends on how much of a light sleeper you are. It is by no means a "noisy" or unruly hotel. It is actually pretty quiet and I believe that makes the occasional door slams or voices in the hallway much more noticeable. Earplugs were a small price to pay for such a conveniently located and well managed hotel. The only other small nuisance was that water temperature in the shower fluctuated briefly but often while bathing. The hotel does have a pretty good sized, yet under utilized fitness center with modern equipment. Internet access is available for a hefty price. Unless you really need the web in your room, I suggest strolling into a coffeehouse and paying on average of about 1 euro/10 minutes to use one of their computers. If you're taking a laptop, free, albeit unsecured wifi can be found at many dining/drinking establishments.
For those of you who are wondering but afraid to ask ......If you walk for 10 minutes you will have passed quite a few 'smoking' coffee shops, some gay establishments, several slot only casinos, a couple of windows for gawking at (or pitying) the ladies and well, just about anything else. In regard to food, there is no shortage of places to eat nearby.
I didn't try the food at the hotel. There are too many choices nearby that will not put as much of a dent on your wallet. For breakfast, some egg & bacon type cafes were close enough, good enough and cheap enough (6-7 euro plates). For lunch, steer clear of the pizza by the slice place that's behind the hotel. You'll only get horrible pizza if you're lucky. Nice dining can be found around the corner on Spuistratt. The Chinese & Indonesian restaurant is terrible so opt for the Thai place next to it.
Sorry if I went beyond just reviewing the hotel. Many folks, like me, choose a hotel based not only on comfort but also take convenience into account. After several trips to this fine city, I've concluded that the Renaissance is the ideal place when looking for an excellent mix of both. Many might find this hotel a little too modern, but after a 14 hour journey or in preparation for one, I opt for modern. Other than the occasional door slams or fluctuating water temps, I could find nothing else to complain about, a task for which I am well suited. This is now my hotel of choice when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hertfodshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I and my boyfriend decided to visit Amsterdam to celebrate New Year’s Eve. After reading the reviews on here, we decided to book this hotel. It was brilliant! The hotel is lovely, we had a deluxe room, large flat screen TV, arm chairs, queen sized bed and bed side tables, as well as a desk and chest of draws. There is also a wardrobe which had a complementary robe and slippers, shame there was only one, as the room was booked for 2! But nothing major! The bathroom was very clean and had everything you would require. This includes, a toilet (obvious!) large shower (big enough for 2!) and a very large mirror, there is also a hairdryer which I found useful, and it worked very well! They also provide you with complementary shower gel and soap etc.
There is a mini bar in the room, be careful if you move items if they are removed for longer than 30 seconds you will be charged for them. There is enough notice on the mini bar to inform you of this. Again just a little note, there was no “lady” alcohol, just beer! Ok if your lady friend likes beer, but not all ladies do!
During our 3 day stay, housekeeping visited every day, they were always very polite.
The location is perfect; there was always a security guard outside and always a manager around the front lobby. We didn’t have any noise during our stay, and even New Year’s Eve, was surprisingly quite in the hotel (after 12 I mean).
Check in and check out was very quick and pleasant. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant as we enjoyed going out and exploring! There were some lovely restaurants not far away too.
Will definitely be returning to this hotel, we had such an amazing time, it really does have a great location compared to other hotels which we have stayed in, in Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!