“Central, modern, spacious Renaissance” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #58 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
washington, d.c.
“Central, modern, spacious Renaissance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed her for 4 nights in a delux/standard King room reserved on the hotel webiste s the best value then avialable at $187 without breakfeast. For a 3-5* hotel rates then avialable, the rate was good value, particulalry considering the location and the hotel. It was renovated in 7/08. Our room was one of the largest we have stayed in anywhere, well lit, clean, modern, with a good sized bathroom and deep bathstub one has to step into for the bath/shower. Room had a desk/chair and a very comfortable 2nd chair. Service was very efficient. Concierge advise is frienldy and spot on and tickets for the Rijksmusuem and Voan Gogh can be purchased from the concierge and save you considerable time avoiding long lines.. Adjacent spa/fitness center is free. Central location and the clean modern hotel are key here. Hotel is 2 blocks from the central station, 3 blocks from the dam, so transport anywhere is right there. We walked most places-our 3rd trip to Amsterdam in 10 years and this visit was to see the tulips In Keukenhof, an easy 45 minute bus ride fromcentral station-get a combi ticket that includes the fare and admission, and rent a bike outside the gardens. Be sure to make a reservation several weeks in advance to dine at Toscanini in the Joordan-always a treat; and walk the Herengracht and Prisengracht for pretty views and the mansions. Oudenschanz for views is also a nice neighborhood. Haesje Claes, a typical dutch restaurant has good food, friendly service and is a 5 minute walk on the Spui.

1,556 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

We checked into another hotel which was unacceptable in every way. We walked past the Renaissance and inquired about checking in. They had a room for us and it was the best move we could have made. The room was beautiful and comfortable but the best thing for us was the location. You are right around the corner from Central Station but felt miles away. It's literally a few steps from the Singel Canal. Restaurants, shops and coffeeshops are right there. It's minutes to walk to many sites. We loved this place.

Duisburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We were looking for a last-minute decent accomodation for New Year's Eve 2008 and through priceline we were offered the Renaissance Hotel.

It is located almost across Central station, maybe a five-minute walk from there.

NEGATIVE:The hotel has been undergoing renovation which was visible in the parking garage where one floor was packed with old furniture and other equipment. The elevators also had old interiors from which you could tell that renovations must have happened in all other areas of the hotel which were very modern. On the way from the lobby to our small hotel room there was sometimes a bad smell (we guessed from the kitchen) and the view out of our room was not exactly breathtaking as we overlooked a quite ugly court. The hotel is a quite big complex and other rooms have better views, I'm sure.

POSITIVE: Our room was very modern, everything in it seemed to be brand new, the bed, the furniture, the TV, the carpet,the bathroom. It was a pleasure to come back after sightseeing and relax in the hotel room!

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The week we were there, a new restaurnat had just opened in the hotel, it's called SCOSSA. The food was very tasty (and pricey), the atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxing and modern. We went to the three-course New Year's Eve Dinner and paid €50 p.P. The staff there was new and didn't handle things very well, but I'm hopeful they are doing better by now.

From the prices I read elsewhere I would say this hotel is too expensive for what it offers, but if you get a good discount deal, I can only recommend it as it is has brand-new rooms, is very clean, has friendly staff and is centrally located within Amsterdam.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

From the outside the hotel does look very 1960s, however inside the newly renovated hotel was immaculate. King sized bed, LCD TV and lovely soft pillows. The service at the hotel was excellent. We arrived in Amsterdam at 10.00 am but check in was not until 3.00 pm, however we headed off to the hotel (which is only a 5 min walk from the station) where we were told there was a room ready…great! we were able to drop off our bags!! The hotel is right in the centre, however beautifully quite, so everything seems to be in walking distance, but the noise of the weekend crowds is kept to a minimum. The breakfast is very pricy at the hotel, however walk out of the hotel and there are some great little restaurants around. Next time we are in Amsterdam I would certainly stay here again.

Batangas City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have been coming to Amsterdam since the late nineties. Have tried different locations and have been in budget hotels and business hotels. So far, the Renaissance takes the cake for being the best. The hotel has just been newly renovated. The lobby is impressive and the rooms are fairly large by Amsterdam standards. There's an LCD TV and in the rooms I stayed at, King size beds. The fitness centre was also just newly opened and it was quite well equipped. I stayed on 2 separate occassions for a total of 2 weeks.

Now I never stayed at Renaissance before so I am not aware how it looked before the renovation. But just looking at it today, I must say it was well worth it. The fact that Centraal Station is just a 5 minute walk away is a big plus. The Jordaan and Dam Square are also nearby so plenty of choices in as far as eating out is concerned. Kalverstraat, Amsterdam's main shopping street was just a couple of roads away. Despite the central location, it was very quiet and peaceful. I imagine such was not the case when the renovation works were on full blast, but I did not encounter any such noise during my stay, so I assume most if not all of the work had been completed at the time.

I was staying on a corporate rate of 145 Euro and breakfast was not included. Reasonable enough for the location and particularly for business travellers though admittedly expensive if you were paying from your own personal pocket. But hey, this is Amsterdam and hotels are meant to be expensive. Space comes at a premium.

Breakfast was also quite expensive ranging from around 19+ to 24+ Euros. It was buffet style but the cheaper option allowed you only to have cold cuts and bread. The most expensive option included the hot items such as bacon, eggs, sausages as well as cereals and pancakes. In the few occassions I did have breakfast, I found the food and service to be quite good. But frankly, I usually just grabbed something from Albert Heijn at Centraal Station and had my breakfast on the go. Even on corporate account, I found that it just was not value for money. There were also several other places to eat at just outside the hotel which possibly offered better value for breakfast.

One other negative was the broadband service. There was no short term service available, only a 24 hour rate or longer could be purchased and it came to about 20 Euro for each 24 hours. Now I typically used the service in the evening after dinner just to do some more work and to catch up on news from home. Again despite the fact my company was paying, I felt I still was not getting value for money so I used the service only a couple of times. Admittedly, most hotels still try to make money out of what to me is part of the basic services that a hotel should provide, so the Renaissance is not an exception in this case.

Overall, for the business traveller, I would say the Renaissance is a good and central place to stay in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

Very nice hotel with ok room service and nicer rooms. When I stayed there was a bit of renovations going on, but I would assume those t be completed now. I found the hotel a bit over priced, but for the typcal 4 or 5 star in Amsterdam this seemed to be the norm. This hotel is well located and only a few blocks from the centraal train station. Also its towards the top of the Jordaan so makes for easy acess to most of that area as well. In general I would stay here again (as long as my companyw as paying for it).

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

This was our third trip to Amsterdam and this was byfar the best hotel, even the best hotel in Europe we've ever stayed. The hotel had just completed a 100% rennovation before we arrived. The rooms were great, HUGE rooms for Europe and they were Modern, Wonderful Beds, Great Shower and it was brand new! The tolietrees were wonderful, didn't need a thing. The bar downstairs was nice and they would stay late for a few more drinks after they closed. Very Nice.
You can see the influence Ritz-Carlton has had on this property! Very nice. The only complaint we had was the breakfast was way too pricey 20 euro for continental breakfast and 35 euro for full buffet. Thst's okay it gave us a chance to try places around for food and kept us out of the hotel to see the city.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!