“Unrecognisable..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Scotland
“Unrecognisable..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

I hadn't stayed here for a while. Last time I was in town, the place was being refurbished. Paid €149 per night which by Amsterdam standards is pretty cheap. The renovations are complete - and happily the only thing which is the same is the standard of service, which is excellent.
I stayed in room 644. I don't know if that was an upgrade or not, but if it wasn't, it was an exceptional room. The whole hotel is non-smoking now (like all Dutch hotels I think) so the "exotic herbal" smells which used to permeate the place are a thing of the past.
Huge room, everything is and smells new, and as someone else wrote, the bedding is lovely. Great location if you are in Amsterdam on business or pleasure - Centraal Station is 3 mins walk, loads of nightlife around the hotel.
Just goes to show what a difference a refurbishment can make. Always used to enjoy staying here for the location and the staff. For some inexplicable reason I always liked the place, even though it was slightly "ropey". But now, it's a lovely hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We spend last weekend at the Renaissance in Amsterdam in a newly refurbished deluxe room on the 8th floor. The entrance was a bit difficult to find in the dark. Check-in was quick and pleasant. Lobby is very nice with beautiful modern fireplace and a concierge that is there all the time and he can help you out with all your questions and luggage. Staff was so friendly and helpfull during our stay. Our room was not big but it had everything you want from a hotel of this standard. It was so recently refurbished that you could still smell the new carpeting which by the way was fantastic: I could actually feel my feet sink into it as soon as I left the lift! But the best thing has to be the beds! I have stayed at Hilton hotels and Hyatts allover the world but never came across bedding of this kind of quality! I just didnt want to get up anymore! The bed was so big and the matrasses not too hard or to soft, just perfect and then we also asked for feather pillows which were divine as well. I even asked the manager which brand the beds were made by because I now want to buy the same for my own house!
The hotel is located close to everything that is important: central station, trams into Amsterdam, Red light district, walking distance of Anne Frank house ect ect.
Breakfast was fantastic as well: lots to choose from, fresh oranges and grapefruits that were already peeled and sliced, omelets made fresh to order, good coffee and juices.
The Renaissance is a good choice to stay if you want an affordable but still deluxe weekend in Amsterdam!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

Just came back from a 1-night stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam. The renovations must be complete, because I found none of the problems that were mentioned in previous reviews (noise, odor, etc.). What I did find was a great hotel with a nice, boutique-y feel, convenient to the sights of Amsterdam and exceptionally helpful staff.

Check in was quick and simple with the front desk staff so helpful and friendly. Walking through the hotel, you get a sense of intimacy - not the Renaissance grandeur that I am usually used to, but pleasant nonetheless.

The rooms were modern and clean and I found no problems with the heating whatsoever. In fact, the heating unit was quite responsive (we stayed in room 208). The bathroom was well-stocked with products and towels. The shower was great but odd since it only had half of a door (so the water could easily escape out onto the bathroom floor).

The hotel is conveniently located near the Amsterdam Centraal train station (just a couple blocks away), but as for the surrounding area, I think I prefer the Rijksmuseum/Van Gogh Museum area better (which is a long walk away, or 7-8 stop tram ride).

All in all, a wonderful trip. Can't wait to go back to Amsterdam in the Spring/Summer!

• Liked — Clean, modern rooms
  • Disliked — Expensive internet
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

The hotel was located very conveniently, close to the Central Station in Amsterdam. All good places to see in Amsterdam, like De Dam, Canals, Leidscheplein are nearby. Although the hotel was being refurbished, it was still very nice. The room was contemporary which I personnaly like. The only thing I would say could need some improvement was the breakfast area, it kind of looked liked a canteen. But ok, this is probably also due to the renovation. I bet after the refurbishment is finished, this will be a great place to stay in Amsterdam, I surely recommend it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I truly love the location, the staff, the food and the hotel!! I would stay here again but just not in the winter. I have stayed on several occasions and all was fine. It is just the fact that there was next to little heat. The staff helped me by changing the room but the second room was the same. It is my opinion only but I don't think the heating system can keep up with the cold or maybe they have single pane glass. It was 22degrees F. at night. I would stay again in the summer without hesitation but not again in the winter.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — unable to heat the room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

The main problem with this hotel during our stay was renovation and construction work constantly going on inside and outside the hotel. The noise was unbearable, especially waking you up early in the morning. The work has been ongoing for a good part of this year. I imagine it won’t be possible to get this hotel on priceline at a reasonable price once renovations are complete, and it is only because of the current problems that rooms are available for 150 USD. I was shocked to see some Europeans pay almost 400USD/night while we were there. I would have felt very angry if I was paying this much for such a stay, with this level of disruption, noise, and odd smells. My rating is strictly based on what I got for the price I paid and my imagination of how the property would be rated after the renovations are finished.... For the price I paid, and what rooms were going for in Amsterdam at the time, the problems were bearable.

Location:
This hotel is in a convenient location, where you can easily walk to and from the Central Station. Its also quite a short walk from Dam Square. We could not find the entry, however, due to the many construction areas. Things may have changed by now.

Rooms:
The smell of paint and chemicals on most of the renovated floors was unbearable for us, and we moved a few times. The smell never really went away – I don’t know if it was carpet glue, or paint. It differed in strength depending on the floor or the room. The renovated rooms were tiny, but quite lovely and comfortable. While the linens, pillows and down comforters were heavenly, the mattresses at this hotel are of the extremely “soft” feather bed variety – any kind of weight above 150 pounds and you will dip down rapidly into the bedding. I realize some folks (especially very light people without back problems) will absolutely love this kind of soft bedding, but I prefer a firm mattress. Everything else in the bed was top notch. I found the choices made for carpeting, curtains and duvets very pleasant and modern and I really liked the lighting choices in these rooms and all the small decorative touches. Huge flat screen TV with good channel choices was also a nice plus.

Bathrooms:
Very nicely renovated, with great amenities, hair dryer, robes and adequate shower pressure. No hot water problems.

Lobby:
This is a very small unwelcoming lobby. You will not want to spend much time here. During our stay the sewer smell in the lobby was so unbearable, you wanted to run through it. I think other reviewers had noted a similar smell as well.
They do supply free water bottles and coffee in the lobby in the morning.

Staff:
The staff at this hotel were extremely nice and friendly and went out of their way to help, supplying advice, umbrellas, and whatever else was needed. Check in and check out were not as efficient as they should be in such a hotel.

• Liked — Nicely renovated rooms and good bathrooms
  • Disliked — Renovations, noise and smells.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

I have just returned from 2 week stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel. The hotel is in a good location, the rooms are nice, but I would not stay here again. The hotel is under Major Renovations. Workmen start to gather out side rooms btwn 6:15AM - 6:30AM 6 days a week and work went some nights until 9:00PM. Moved rooms but did not matter. They are reconstructing many rooms and the noise/disruptions were constant. I had workmen using a pass key try enter my room on several mornings. I complained but did not receive any response. Thank goodness for the chain on the door. The best the hotel would do was offer ear plugs. If you want to stay in this part of the city stay across the street at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza and get a good night's rest.

Stayed November 2008

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!