“Very good experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

You added Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kattengat 1, 1012 SZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #89 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
san francisco, ca
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Pros: Location and cleanliness
Cons: Expensive. No free wifi. Construction going on right outside making access difficult.

We stayed at this hotel twice in our trip to Netherlands and Belgium. Both the time, rooms were excellent. The top floor room we got during our second stay was huge! Very clean and modern hotel. People were helpful. The location was excellent. A short walk to the central station and Anne Frank house. Easy tram ride or longish walk from all the museums. Breakfast was not included and was pretty expensive so we chose to eat out. There were lots of eating options just outside the hotel. We found water leaking from the cooling system in our room but they probably would've fixed it had we asked. It was our last night so we did not bother.Overall a solid hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get the upper floor room if you are traveling with family.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This one was a tough call for rating. This hotel was clean and comfortable, attractive, and the staff were helpful and attentive. The rooms were smaller than those of other Marriott hotels that we've stayed in, but large by European standards. I wavered between giving it a 3 and a 4 and leaned toward a 3 for the following reasons:

1. The walls of this hotel are thin, and we were able to hear pretty much everything going on in the next room. There were some noisy kids there our first night that made it hard for us to sleep until they went to bed. Not the hotel's fault but still, I would expect there to be more soundproofing.

2. The layout of this hotel is like a labyrinth and it's difficult to navigate. We were in room 925 which, as it turns out, is on the SECOND floor. It literally took us 7 minutes (we timed it) to get from our room to the hotel lobby. We first had to take the elevator to the 2nd floor, then navigate through a maze of hallways to find a SECOND elevator which took us to floor 3e, which is the floor that our room was on. I'm not sure how that is considered the second floor, but it is. We had no problem getting to it but if you are elderly, disabled, or traveling with young children you might want to take this into consideration.

3. The streets and alleys around the hotel are currently under construction, and we were woken up at 7 a.m. every morning by workmen blaring music, dropping piles of bricks, and calling out to each other. Perhaps not under the hotel's control, but they should have put guests on the other side of the building if they knew this was an ongoing issue.

4. Location: be advised that this hotel is very close to the Red Light District. There is a small street behind the hotel that has a bakery, restaurants, and a grocery store (a plus!). However, to get there you have to walk through a short street that almost always had creepy-looking people hanging out and smoking pot. I don't know if that has to do with 'this' location specifically or if that happens wherever you are in Amsterdam but still, I didn't feel as safe walking around near this hotel as I have when we were in Rome, Paris, and Berlin.

5. There is no free wi-fi in the rooms (cost for the economy internet package was about 80 Euros per week!), only in the lobby...and even in the lobby the connection was slow and choppy. I've never NOT had free internet in a hotel room in Europe, even in small 'mom and pop' type hotels, so I was disappointed that this large American chain hotel wouldn't have it. It made it difficult to communicate with people back home in the States.

The cons aside, the pros of this hotel, along with comfort and nearby amenities, are that it is just about a block south of Amsterdam Centraal station, where you can grab a train or tram just about anywhere, and it is within walking distance of many sites and quaint shops. I would not hesitate to stay here again if I'm ever back in Amsterdam, but I think I would try to look a little further from the Red Light District first to see what else is available.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RenaissanceTeam, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments on this platform.

I am glad that you were satisfied with the services of our staff, as it is the outmost goal to make a difference to the guest's experience by our personal touch, and that you found our property comfortable and attractive.

As you mention, the contruction outside of the hotel is something that we unfortunately cannot influence and I am sorry that it disturbed your stay.
Thank you for your comments regarding the malfunctioning of the lobby wifi - this issue has already been passed on to our IT manager to look into and resolve.
Indeed we are located in a busy part of Amsterdam city center, however, rest assured that our security team keeps monitoring the hotel are 24 hours a day.

We greatly appreciate your comprehensive feedback and hope to have the honor of welcoming you back when you are back in Amsterdam. Please do contact us when you make your travel plans so that we can make sure your next stay with us is a wonderful one.

Warm regards,
the Renaissance Team
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spend 3 days in this property and overall it is a good place to stay in Amsterdam. The central station is just 7 minutes walking distance from the Hotel and you are not far from Dam Square.

The rooms are small but well-appointed with a good TV channel selection. There is also a kettle in the room to heat water. Breakfast was very good with plenty of options and service quite good too most of the time.

The closest supermarket is in the street behind the Hotel (Albert Heijn) so it will be worth it to go there to buy some water at reasonable prices and not the inflated prices that you get in all the other shops around downtown.

Keep in mind that the minibar in the rooms will charge you directly in your bill, just when you move any drink even though you may not consume that drink, but they will withdraw the charges at reception once you confirm that you didn´t use the minibar at all.

Service from everybody we encounter in the Hotel was excellent except in the Executive Lounge (not so fine in the evenings as it was too crowded).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel is within walking distance from the central station, where you get off the shuttle from the airport. As we mostly walked around the city, we found it a great starting point for exploring and navigating the small canal side streets of this part Amsterdam.

Nice rooms, great beds, and professional staff.

Basically, this is a Marriott hotel, similar in what it offers to other Marriotts around the world.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

It was great staying at Renaissance. Our room was perfectly clean, location is perfect and service was amazing.
What I liked about Renaissance:
-Service! Their concierge is amazing. My friend and I were offered help by two different members of staff. One was Casper and unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the other member. Casper was really good at his job. My friend asked him for advice on museums to visit (I had already visited most of them during my previous visits) and he gave her great information on her choices and helped her decide. She was really pleased with his advice.
-Cleaning. You can't really ask for more. Everything was flawless.
-Location. I am used to staying closer to Leidseplein but I can't complain. That location was also great with walking distance to most of the attractions.
-Room was big with 2 single beds (as we requested), lots of storage space and a flat screen tv with international tv channels.
Room for improvement:
-Wifi. I find it really odd when you have to pay extra for wifi nowadays especially in an expensive hotel. The first 2 nights my friend and I would spend time at the lobby being online. For some reason the other 2 nights we had wifi in the room. Was it a mistake? Did they change it? No idea.
-Minibar-fridge. There was a notice that if you remove any item from the mini bar for more than 30" it will automatically be charged to your bill. Also the note said that it is not a fridge but a mini bar. There was some room for personal drinks storage but it wasn't big enough. We had removed some items to store our water and put them back later. As a big surprise we had been charged for these items. Fortunately they removed our charges after we explained that everything was still there.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Nice large room. Very clean. Larger than expected hotel. Superb central location. Easy walk from central train station. Concierge service very helpful. Buying tickets for tram and museums at hotel is easy and saves waiting in line at museums.
Breakfast at hotel around 28 euros.
Only negative no free internet.
Would stay there again when in Amsterdam.

Stayed July 2014
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel had some of the best staff I have ever experienced. Casper, hope I spelt it correctly, was the epitome of warm, welcoming, friendly and helpful. He offered my boyfriend and I personalized advice on what to do in the city during our stay and what time to visit the sites to avoid crowds. I truly can not say enough about how he enhanced our stay for us. Apart from that, the hotel itself and our room were very clean. The club lounge is great with excellent choices for breakfast, afternoon snacks and happy hour. Definitely take advantage of it. The location does not really get much better with everything being walking distance nearby. Yet the area was quiet at night, even considering there was some construction going on in the street directly in front of the hotel. Superb stay and would definitely recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple