“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
south queensferry
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel is in a great position and in easy walking distance from the train station as well as the main city attractions. The rooms are spotless as is the rest of the hotel. We managed to get a deal on the room rate. Didn't pay for breakfast as thought it was quite expensive. There is a wee cafe at the end of the street overlooking the canal which is open from 7.30am and has free wifi! I would stay here again if the price was right. Didn't give this hotel 5 out of 5 as I thought the fact there wasn't free wifi in the bedrooms a bit poor for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

1,633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

There are so many things I loved about this hotel. Let me give an overview:
Stayed here for one night and then moved to a hotel closer to the airport (really stupid decision since the train to the airport leaves frequently and is cheap and fast - no reason to move closer to the airport.). I am a Marriott Gold member, and was using points to stay here free.

Marriott rewards: I got a great upgraded room, access to their concierge lounge, free wifi. The concierge lounge was really nice - breakfast, afternoon tea with small treat selection, appetizers at night with free wine. Drinks (water, soda, juices) available all day, and nice internet connected computer that was free for use. A large space with couches and chairs. The staff in there was a little odd. One of them asked me "What makes Ann Frank so special?" and the other one in the evening shut down the wine early because she had overserved a large party of heavy drinkers and made that problem my problem. When the lounge is not open for breakfast, they let you have their restaurant's breakfast buffet for free (which was really very good).
Front desk/concierge staff: The front desk staff was super friendly. Lots of suggestions for where to go. They can sell you tickets (same price as the museums, tram passes, etc). They stored my luggage all day - no charge. Overall, a great customer service experience.
Room: My room was wonderful. The bed was comfortable, free robe/slippers, nice, large bathroom.
Location: It is a very short walk to/from the train station. It is a little off the beaten path, but a safe area to walk in. You need to look up for the Renaissance signs. It is a short walk to the Anne Frank house in a residential area with canals - very lovely. To get to the Van Gogh museum, you need to ride the trams. The trams are easy to take and run early and late. This whole area is so much nicer than the area around Dam Square. It feels more residential and safer. I can't describe how many times I walked by people in alleys doing drugs in other areas of town.
Restaurants: Good and affordable.

Overall, I will stay here again, and I will gladly pay the going nightly rate. It is clearly worth the money to me. I do agree with one of the other reviewers - it took around 7 days for the preauthorization to drop from my credit card statement. That was odd.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Valletta, Malta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I'll try to keep it short. This hotel is clean, has a very good location, has polite staff and a breakfast to die for.

However, 10 days after checking out from this hotel I STILL have 233.66 euro being withheld on my credit card and my friend has 229.70 euros on hers, even after the full amount for the room was withdrawn from the third guest's savings account (two days ago). A member of our extended party, in another room, had 1,033.59 euro blocked on her credit card until yesterday. What on earth is this nonsense??

We've emailed and emailed, to the same email address we had made the reservation on, but do you think we've received any replies? Guess again. This isn't 4 star quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
HedwigLinden, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment. We are very sorry to learn that you did not like our property and apologize for
any inconvenience you encountered. We invite you to send us an e-mail to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com
with your feedback on what exactly went wrong, so that we will have a chance to investigate and to get back to you in
person.
We thank you for your time and remain,
with best regards
Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This is in a great location. On quite side street yet just 5 minutes walk to heart of Amsterdam. Friendly staff very helpful with ideas and suggestions for sight seeing. If looking for things to do talk to Casper. Petra was so sweet and so helpful getting us checked in early even when we arrived very early. Very clean and well maintained staff was great.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here two nights for a business meeting. The hotel is easy to find and is walking distance from central station. I like that it is in an area that is close to some tourist attractions but also more local eateries and shops.
I wasn't so impressed with the lobby/ common area to walk to the room, but once I arrived in the room I was extremely pleased. The room was clean, spacious, and I like that it was easy to move about (no awkward furniture placements). The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on- and it had SIX pillows on it (a rarity and luxury for Europe!). One thing that I loved about this hotel too was the temperature was always cool, even in my room when I first walked in. I find myself overheating in most hotels, especially when first getting to the room but this place was the perfect temperature.
I assisted with the logistics of an onsite meeting here and I was so happy with the waitstaff and Wauter (sp?) who helped us with the meeting. They were attentive, friendly, and always fulfilled requests within a matter of minutes. The set up of the meeting rooms in relation to the restaurant was great. Food for both our meetings and breakfast/ lunch was AMAZING. Strangely enough, they make chocolate chip cookies which are amazing. The hotel even made a special batch for us for one of our smaller meetings which was so kind, they were still hot from the oven.

Overall- I really enjoyed my stay here and will come back next time I am in Amsterdam whether its for business or pleasure1

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I arrived very late (planned) - and was out in a smoking room but as I had to be up very soon I didn't bother to moan.

Other than that it was a good experience - decent breakfast with plenty of choice, staff helpful and suggested a good local restaurant. Great central location. Good hotel for business,

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
North Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel is in the walking distance of Central Station. It has so many deluxe rooms and suites. Rooms are really wonderful, well maintained and highly appealing to hotel guests. I stayed in Room 654. I really like the room.
They have club lounge which is in first floor-it is open always. Breakfast and Evening dinner time little early for me -are well organized and done in a Professional manner.
They also keep Water bottle free in the room. It is only 20-minute drive from Schiphol Airport ,
15 minutes drive from the RAI Congress Centre, 5-minute walk from Jordan, Damrak and Westerpark.

Had a great experience with few people personnel in the Hotel -they are worth mentioning are:
this way our Travellers can reach out to them when they Visit -these are like tips!!:)

Lourens - Valet Person -he goes out of the way to help or figure out how to reach or take care of things- this is amazing. he does not feel it is a burden or lot of things to say -he is pretty passionate about what he does. Lourens is sincere and he would be one of the best Valet or concierge or navigator-he can be a great example for the entire Amsterdam Marriott hotels. He is very sharp also ..he knows what is he doing. He can speak good english to communicate other than Dutch which could be his mother tongue!!:) I did not ask for !!:) I am assuming!!:)Normally I do not assume as you know that!!:).
Katrin Hentszel - Nice General manager. She has kept very nice card for me in the room. That was nice of her.
Sarah in the Sales - She like to travel extra mile-she was going away to her home in one of the evenings. She asked how do you like the stay and went out of the way to get the names. She would be a great talented for Sales in Marriott Amsterdam area.
Cynthia - Guest Service- She travels extra mile -not just to me, she did for few other customers. They were talking to me about it. This is difference she shows to Guest service concierge services -compared to others who work in the same role. She is role model for the good service.
Florentine -> Outstanding Front office personnel. She did the check-in and she really cares how to get other things accomplished.
Joerg Kroeter- he is Awesome and an Outstanding Director for Marriott. he is a True example of How management should be -he is a great asset to Marriott.Wonderful director
Winky - Club Lounge- is awesome and great. She deserves to be recognized compared to the people in the evening who have little different attitude. She is awesome-makes an effort to everyone
Leo - Valet guy -he is very awesome and he has a great sense of humour.
Monika - they call Styling now - one of the housekeeping supervisor- she did provide where to go even though that's not her job-she stands apart from others.

Room Tip: To get the right rooms, Please reach out to Florentine or Joerg -they can help out definitely nice s...