“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This is in a great location. On quite side street yet just 5 minutes walk to heart of Amsterdam. Friendly staff very helpful with ideas and suggestions for sight seeing. If looking for things to do talk to Casper. Petra was so sweet and so helpful getting us checked in early even when we arrived very early. Very clean and well maintained staff was great.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here two nights for a business meeting. The hotel is easy to find and is walking distance from central station. I like that it is in an area that is close to some tourist attractions but also more local eateries and shops.
I wasn't so impressed with the lobby/ common area to walk to the room, but once I arrived in the room I was extremely pleased. The room was clean, spacious, and I like that it was easy to move about (no awkward furniture placements). The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on- and it had SIX pillows on it (a rarity and luxury for Europe!). One thing that I loved about this hotel too was the temperature was always cool, even in my room when I first walked in. I find myself overheating in most hotels, especially when first getting to the room but this place was the perfect temperature.
I assisted with the logistics of an onsite meeting here and I was so happy with the waitstaff and Wauter (sp?) who helped us with the meeting. They were attentive, friendly, and always fulfilled requests within a matter of minutes. The set up of the meeting rooms in relation to the restaurant was great. Food for both our meetings and breakfast/ lunch was AMAZING. Strangely enough, they make chocolate chip cookies which are amazing. The hotel even made a special batch for us for one of our smaller meetings which was so kind, they were still hot from the oven.

Overall- I really enjoyed my stay here and will come back next time I am in Amsterdam whether its for business or pleasure1

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I arrived very late (planned) - and was out in a smoking room but as I had to be up very soon I didn't bother to moan.

Other than that it was a good experience - decent breakfast with plenty of choice, staff helpful and suggested a good local restaurant. Great central location. Good hotel for business,

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
North Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel is in the walking distance of Central Station. It has so many deluxe rooms and suites. Rooms are really wonderful, well maintained and highly appealing to hotel guests. I stayed in Room 654. I really like the room.
They have club lounge which is in first floor-it is open always. Breakfast and Evening dinner time little early for me -are well organized and done in a Professional manner.
They also keep Water bottle free in the room. It is only 20-minute drive from Schiphol Airport ,
15 minutes drive from the RAI Congress Centre, 5-minute walk from Jordan, Damrak and Westerpark.

Had a great experience with few people personnel in the Hotel -they are worth mentioning are:
this way our Travellers can reach out to them when they Visit -these are like tips!!:)

Lourens - Valet Person -he goes out of the way to help or figure out how to reach or take care of things- this is amazing. he does not feel it is a burden or lot of things to say -he is pretty passionate about what he does. Lourens is sincere and he would be one of the best Valet or concierge or navigator-he can be a great example for the entire Amsterdam Marriott hotels. He is very sharp also ..he knows what is he doing. He can speak good english to communicate other than Dutch which could be his mother tongue!!:) I did not ask for !!:) I am assuming!!:)Normally I do not assume as you know that!!:).
Katrin Hentszel - Nice General manager. She has kept very nice card for me in the room. That was nice of her.
Sarah in the Sales - She like to travel extra mile-she was going away to her home in one of the evenings. She asked how do you like the stay and went out of the way to get the names. She would be a great talented for Sales in Marriott Amsterdam area.
Cynthia - Guest Service- She travels extra mile -not just to me, she did for few other customers. They were talking to me about it. This is difference she shows to Guest service concierge services -compared to others who work in the same role. She is role model for the good service.
Florentine -> Outstanding Front office personnel. She did the check-in and she really cares how to get other things accomplished.
Joerg Kroeter- he is Awesome and an Outstanding Director for Marriott. he is a True example of How management should be -he is a great asset to Marriott.Wonderful director
Winky - Club Lounge- is awesome and great. She deserves to be recognized compared to the people in the evening who have little different attitude. She is awesome-makes an effort to everyone
Leo - Valet guy -he is very awesome and he has a great sense of humour.
Monika - they call Styling now - one of the housekeeping supervisor- she did provide where to go even though that's not her job-she stands apart from others.

Room Tip: To get the right rooms, Please reach out to Florentine or Joerg -they can help out definitely nice s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Booked here for three nights and loved it. As others have noted, the Club Lounge and breakfast are excellent. Very pleased that our status on United enables us to use the lounges at Marriott properties -- with as much as we travel, this is a wonderful perk. The staff at the hotel are excellent , from check in to the housekeeping service. Everyone is friendly and helpful. Great restaurant recommendations, better than ones we got at a four star hotel to which we had to switch for a conference. We missed the Renaissance! Super close to the train station and an easy trip in from Schiphol, saving many Euros. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor in the main building, preferably an end room. We had 812 and it was excellent w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here for a meeting since the venue was chosen by the organizers. We chose to upgrade to a club level, which was a wise choice. Our room was on a corner, away from the street and quite spacious. Nice seating area with plenty of room for two people. Large typical European style bath and generous closet. We found the staff accommodating and gracious and the food in both the club facility and the restaurant were very good. The club breakfast included several hot items and was well presented.

For the business traveler, the meeting facility was good, not exceptional but the food service and staff support was excellent. A short train ride from Shiphol and a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal station means saving 40 euro each way compared to a taxi. This is a good choice for a business meeting in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Definitely consider an upgrade to a club room. I usually don't upgrade but in this case it was w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bartlett, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

While I have stayed in Marriotts across the United States, Europe, and China and have been very pleased with my experiences, I cannot say the same for Renaissance Amsterdam.

It is nicely located near the Central Train Station, and a hotel route was clearly marked, so finding the property was no problem. However, the receptionist, Sarah, was unaccomodating, condescending, and dismissive. Since my fellow traveler's husband is a Marriott Platinum member, we used rewards points to pay for our stay, which normally allows the use of the club room. However, we were vehemently denied use of that facility, citing that since he was not with us we were not allowed. After showing our confirmation that breakfast and the use of the club room was included, she insisted that we were not allowed without apology. We begrudgingly left for the room. Luckily the "Navigators" were quite nice. The one that brought our luggage to the room couldn't have been kinder and more welcoming and the other that recommended some local sights was eager to help.

The room was comfortable, with all of the normal Marriott amenities - comfortable beds, toiletries, coffee/tea making accessories, etc. The cleaning staff was excellent and turndown service was perfect. However, on the second day, we discovered that the minibar did not work (not a huge problem, but still unacceptable) and that there was a pervasive fish smell on our floor - which stayed for the remainder of our visit. We called guest services to notify them of those issues and to voice our concerns regarding check-in. We also notified her that we are 1K members on United, which also includes use of the Club Room (26 Euros for a Continental breakfast, otherwise), and we were told that there was a note on our account stating that we were NOT to use that facility. Seemed pretty vindictive.

While in the grand scheme of things, our stay was OK, but those issues made for a frustrating and unpleasant stay and we couldn't wait to leave. Unfortunately the bad outweighed the good this time, and I would not recommend that travelers stay here. There are several other hotels in the area in which I would book my next visit. They most certainly do not live up to the five-star rating that they tout in the Amsterdam travel magazines.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
HedwigvanderLinden, Executive Assistant at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel.
We appreciate the nice comments you have shared about many of our staff and the services we offer and indeed are sorry to learn the encounter in regards to our Club Lounge access and the smell in the corridor. Please take our sincere apologies for that. To be able to improve our services, we would be glad if you wish to review the points with us personally and invite you to contact us at any time.
You are a valued customer and everything we do is aimed at providing our clients with an excellent hotel experience.
Sincerely yours,
Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!