“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Farmington, Connecticut
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location - 5 minute walk to main train station in Amsterdam, minutes to red light district, flower market, and many other tourist attractions including canal tours. Concierge was very helpful. Restaurant was nice but not great. I would stay there again if I visited this wonderful city again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is one of three of business options when staying in the centre. The hotel is fairly good, the location is great but for some reason staff training is non-existent! When checking in I was told that I'd have a twin. Errr no I won't, I didn't book one and not being an 8-year old I don't want one. After arguing the point for what seemed like an eternity and being told that they were fully booked and there wasn't one available, one was found. It was a decent enough room, but was located half a mile from the reception via two lifts and a tunnel between hotels.
On the plus side, breakfast was very good!

Room Tip: I'd would email the hotel to confirm room choice if booking via an online travel agent!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

5 minute walk from rail station, centrally located, and very friendly. we enjoyed the benefits of the club lounge, including free drinks and food, but you do need to get in before many of the American visitors grabbed most of the food. We had a very comfortable stay and had no complaints at all

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

As a travel professional at DM Vacation I always review hotels based on the quality that they advertise they are. This hotel enjoys a center city location and is easy walking distance from the central train station. If you are fully loaded best to hop a taxi from the train station. The rooms are reasonable size and appointed well. They are very clean and overall comfortable.

The location is only one block from a canal and a city supermarket in addition to the normal fare it sells wine and some prepared easy to take away food. It also has an ATM. Walking to Mist things is easy and within 10-20 minute walk. Many restaurants are close by as well, with some nice outdoor eating areas.

The hotel is a nosy hotel. Despite being a frequent traveler to this chain and my request to have a quite hotel the room was very loud from the local traffic. for noise reduction the windows are near worthless. Our second room we had an inside room which was much better but it was near a maids room so it would not be my first choice of locations.

The breakfast is full and fine, but if it is not included it is not worth the 28 euros per person.

Overall a nice hotel but be sure to ask for a court yard view if you want it to be quite. The hotel is a good choice in my book.

If you found this review helpful please be kind enough to place a helpful vote.

Room Tip: Get a room in the courtyard or at least off the Main Street it is off of. Also not near maids servic...
Loudon, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Very nice, centrally located and close to many attractions. Bed linens were fantastic. However...paying 8 euros for poor internet service was a real negative. They're already getting big bucks for the room so you would expect free internet. Internet is free at nearby cafes.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

There's nothing wrong with the hotel per se. When we checked in, I was offered an upgrade for €80 per night. It included free Internet, breakfast and an upgraded room. I thought that wasn't worth it since we'd be there only two nights. However, since I'm a Marriott Rewards Silver member, I asked if I could use my points to upgrade. The guy at reception went through the pretense of checking, but then told me because they were full he couldn't offer an upgrade. So the question is, why could he offer an upgrade for extra money but not for points? Didn't receive an explanation. He did offer me a choice of a room with a view or a quiet room. I took the view. Turns out our view was the alley next to the hotel. One the plus side, the room was certainly adequate. Another plus was the helpfulness of the people working the concierge desk. They were great. On another note, I wish Marriott would stop charging for Internet/wifi. During our month of travel throughout Europe, they were the only hotel chain who wanted you to pay. Some of their less expensive chains offer free wifi. Why do they think they need to charge exorbitant prices in their most expensive hotels? Doesn't make any sense.

• Stayed July 2013
Jerusalem Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We got this hotel after placing a bid on Priceline. Little did we know that the hotel was used by airline crews and Holland America Cruise Lines for their pre and post cruise tours. Unfortunately we arrived at the same time a group arrived from Holland America. Like most people I stood politely in line but one man seemed to think that it was OK to push me aside and get in line ahead of me. When I explained the situation to the woman at check-in she looked right through me and proceeded to deal with the other guest. I can only assume that either a) she prefers men or 2) has orders to take care of the Holland American guests first. In either case it was a poor beginning.
When we got to our room we found ourselves in a little cubbyhole with no room to turn around in. Iwas very clean and well maintained and the same goes for the washroom. The towels while clean were small and slightly worn.
The hotel has a great location. The minute you open the door the streets are flocked with people, stores restaurants etc.
Since my husband wasn't feeling well we opted to order room service rather that going out to eat. The order arrived exactly as requested and within an acceptable length of time. Things that were supposed to be cold were fine but anything that was supposed to be warm was also cold.
The hotel notifies you that they add a 5 Euro "tray charge" and then on top of that they add a spot for a tip on the bill. The waiter just stood there looking over my shoulder while I signed the receipt and added another tip on top of what was already there.
Not long before this stay we had stayed at a hotel in Amsterdam with the same rating but slightly less central. I had to come to the conclusion that location isn't everything and would opt for the less central hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!