“Great Service, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off
Ranked #57 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto
“Great Service, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

LOVED the Renaissance Hotel. Expected a good hotel, but the Renaissance was really above and beyond for a downtown hotel. Wasn't too expensive as we booked through a last minute deal, the people that work there are warm and friendly. You can't beat the location.

The hotel is located on a lovely, triangular street block just a ten minute walk from the Centraal Train station. this was ideal. despite being located downtown, it is quiet, full of character and the room was very very clean.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat. You can walk everywhere.

Room Tip: Any room is fairly quiet, but street cleaners sometimes go by. If you would be bothered by the sound...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I cannot use strong enough terms to fully explain how badly My family and I were treated by this hotel.

I bought a 'mini-cruise' from Newcastle with DFDS with a one night stay in Amsterdam. We paid £1550 for two nights on board and one night in Amsterdam so not a bargain break!

When I arrived at the Renaissance, I was told there was no booking and despite offering numerous pieces of evidence to show I had ALREADY paid there were not at all interested.

After waiting for an hour and being that our trip in Amsterdam was going to be very short as it was, I simply agreed to sort it out at my end. What really annoyed me was that I was asked for a credit card for any incidentals in advance. I provided this but then the hotel charged nearly £500 for the rooms on top! And without my permission.

The hotel was 'all fur coat and no knickers' - I dont care about a projection screen on the floor or ridiculous over-design but I do care that I am treated with respect and given the help I need. I was given a room on the top floor which was literally tiny! Too hot and the air conditioning was so poor it was more effective to wedge the door open. Small bed, nothing special about it at all. The rack rate for the room was OVER THREE HUNDRED EUROS!!! What planet are these people on??

When I went to the concierge for help getting the local number for dfds, I waited a good 5 minutes whilst he dealt with the person in front. To my disgust, he then ignored me and started to serve a Dutch person. I told him I was waiting first and he apologised to "the other chap, who has pushed in" and not to me. To add insult to injury, he then started to attend to the queue jumper WHILST he dealt with me.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU ARE DUTCH - YOU WILL REGRET IT!

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU ARE ON BUSINESS - THE STAFF ARE NOT INTERESTED.

On a positive note, we went for breakfast which was not only full of lovely fresh fruit etc. but had some really lovely staff. Not dutch staff! Finally, my heart felt thanks to Gladys - your smile as your served breakfast was the only saving grace - you are the star of The Renaissance.

Dont risk it there are loads of fantastic hotels in Amsterdam - THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!

Room Tip: Choose a better hotel than this. If you have no option, insist on checking your room first. Some a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tel-Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

When we saw the photos of this hotel we couldn't believe it will actually be like that on reality, but it sure was! Great hotel, Great location and super great stuff! They will help you with everything you'll and will do it with big smile!

Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great location. The room was clean and nice, and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Check in ok, very nice room, good location - 5 minutes from train station and 10 minutes from Dam Square.

No free wifi - even Mcdonalds and Burger King offer free wifi for guests. It could be establish a limit for data traffic and charge over this limit.

Breakfast on the 2nd day was a complete chaos. The man who received us told that, for à la carte order, it would take a long time. He turned around, showing that the room was full of people and added a question "what can i do?" Ye,s it was full of people ans I think a hotel being full of people is what it is supposed to be. Yes, and what can we do? No options. It took 20 minutes for the food to come: 1 pancake, 1 french toast and 2 cappuccinos. The day before another couple of guests asked for à la carte service and I noticed that it took a long time too and the restaurant was not full.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This Hotel was great, service, people, staff, location...all perfect.

Room Tip: these people will do anything to make you feel comfortable,, we had a room facing the street and it...
AisleSeat67
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Just checked out of the Renaissance and my wife and I still cannot stop talking about how great it was....the helpful staff, big rooms, classy and new feel of the place, the location. everything was top notch.
What stood out was how accommodating the staff were for us to feel relaxed/rested since we were travelling with our 10 month old and arrived after a long overnight flight from Asia.

Will hope to come back on our next visit to Amsterdam!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!