“location location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City
“location location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel is one of the best in the city, when visiting Amsterdam I usually stay at the Marriott which is a good hotel but the location leaves much to be desired. The Renaissance had it all, ideal location less than a 2 minute walk to the central rail station which is where all tours start from and there is an endless supply of great places to eat all in walking distance.
As for the staff they could not have been nicer or more helpful. The hotel is very clean bright and modern. If you are staying for work or pleasure a comfortable bed and a hot shower are essential and the Renaissance did not fail.
A very special thank you to the concierge team who helped out with a medical situation; they arraigned for medical attention and all follow up care. They saved the vacation! The Renaissance will be my new hotel of choice when visiting Amsterdam! I look forward to my return in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

1,589 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I picked this hotel because I had enough Marriott Rewards points to pay for my entire weekend. Overall, the location of this hotel cannot be beat. The rooms were typical of any Renaissance I in which have previously stayed. I had a room with a king size bed and lounge area to relax. The bathrooms were also very nice with upgraded fixtures. I also took advantage of the club lounge for cocktail hours and dessert. There is a decent variety available here, however it can get crowded, so get there early. I also noticed that this area was filled with Americans most of the time. (which is fine, but I would have preferred to meet people from other countries too!)

The only negative experience at this hotel is the front desk staff. Upon check in, they were very friendly, however any other time I had to visit the front desk the staff was very rude. At one point I even felt like asking a question was an inconvenience to the front desk.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. However, at the rates that were being charged, if I had to pay for this hotel, I would look elsewhere. There are nice clean rooms, bur they are not worth the 200-300 euro per night.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one that does not overlook the street. It would get loud around 2A...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I really enjoyed the hotel. Great location, very close to Central Station and a 5 minute walk from the tram. Beautiful interior. I had access to the concierge level and took full advantage of it. Breakfast was good, but don't expect a hot meal. Cereals and european style with breads, pastries, cold cuts, cheeses and fruit. Coffee maker was poorly located, so it typically had a backup every morning. Evening socials were also good with a variety of hot and cold appetizers.

Room was great. Very good size, excellent and comfortable bedding. TV channels were too limited - no free movie channels. But lots of news channels. Concierge was very helpful with restaurants - always on the mark with recommendations. Well appointed gym. Hotel bar was also nice. Good service.

Room Tip: Concierge level is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Staying at this hotel made the half term WONDERFULLY RESTFUL for us - could never stay anywhere else!!! We (husband and self) and 14 / 17 yr old sons. Spent all October half term here - quiet position, wonderfully comfortable huge beds, excellent food, boys ate everything with great gusto! NO complaints whatsoever, the staff are THE MOST CO-OPERATIVE, I have ever come across anywhere, ( beat the American Renaissance staff hands down) believe me - I AM FUSSY :) The lovely people working in the EXEC. LOUNGE proved to be epitome of Customer Service, especially Ridayu and Carlos - no task too big.

The hotel is perfectly positioned for trains, trams and buses. The info provided on arrival covers everything you'll need and any other query will be answered promptly and with the reassurance and learned knowledge of 'locals' living and working within the city. Don't hesitate, stay here you'll not regret it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

On the way to Amsterdam I bought a bottle of CK be perfume at the airport. I was travelling only with carry-on luggage so I needed a 100ml bottle. We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon and I threw the packaging and receipt to the dustbin. I used the perfume next morning and then we left with my wife to go to the city. Probably that was the last time I saw it cause in evening I couldn't find it. Next morning (we stayed in Renaissance for 2 nights) when I started packing my bag I searched the room and belongings thoroughly and the CK bottle was simply gone. I used it only in the bathroom and it vanished together with the packaging, receipt and other rubbish from the dustbin. I informed the security and they checked that apart from us no one entered the room, except for the room cleaning of course. However security just shrugged their arms stating they have no evidence to accuse anybody. It's not a matter of lost perfume but I must say I am simply surprised. I work in the travel industry and have slept in hundreds of hotels all over the world, sometimes in cheap and lousy small hotels in Guatemala, India or Cambodia. Although you are always warned in such places to take special care of your belongings I have never had such negative experience. I used to work 7 years for a Dutch company and visited Amsterdam a couple of times a year and experienced different hotels in the city. I find the city amazing , thrilling but always safe. I am very disappointed that after all those good impressions I got robbed in a pricey and renowned Renaissance hotel - chain of the Marriott hotels. Apart from this negative story I must say the hotel itself is quite nice, the localization is superb, close to the shopping alleys, bars and restaurants, nightlife and RedLight District, canal cruises etc. , just 5minute walk to Central Station to take you to Schiphol. The room was tiny , but comfortable, and it was very quiet in the night. In other circumstances I would have recommended this hotel, however now I must say either stay away or you might have your personal items stolen from the room or secure all your items in a chain locked suitcase.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed there for a weekend and everything was excellent. The hotel is indeed beautiful.

I booked a cheap guest room and I was upgraded at check in on a Club room due to my Marriott Rewards Status. The club room wasn't something exciting and I didn't have any view but the club lounge is one of he best on Marriott's network.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

When I last stayed at this perfectly located hotel, it was in the process of a massive renovation. The renovation is now complete...and the hotel is beautiful, with very friendly and hospitable staff. It is about a 5-10 minute walk from Central Station and close to shopping, restaurants, cafes, and coffee shops. The major tourist locations and museums are all within walking distance.....and if you choose to take public transportation, it is right outside the door of the hotel.

This is my hotel of choice when I visit Amsterdam.

A suggestion I would have for the management is to coach the housekeeping staff on the "do not disturb" sign. Well intentioned, the housekeeping staff knocked on my door before they left for lunch to find out when I wanted my room cleaned....which woke me up each time. When traveling for leisure, I like to get up early, have breakfast, check email, and then rest before going out for an afternoon shopping trip. Each day, just after dozing off....a load knock at the door.....sir, when do you want your room cleaned?.....which woke me up each day. However, they were excellent housekeepers and I have no complaints with their service.....just the lack or respect (or training) for the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Therefore, a poor rating for sleep quality. ..........Minor issue, however, with all of the other positives!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!