“Excellent Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Amsterdam

You added Marriott Amsterdam to your Saves list
Marriott Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 12, 1054 ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #72 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
crown point
“Excellent Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I read online reviews before going. Hotel was great! Some said outdated. I thought it was perfect. Buffet breakfast was out of this world! Hotel staff were so kind and helpful. Hotel was busy. Took the bus from the airport for 5 euros each. Dropped us off in front of the hotel! Hotel is in the middle of everything! Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Staff was excellent and friendly. The room was very comfortable and the executive lounge breakfast was great. We were able to walk to great restaurants and great stores for shopping. I was very pleased with this property and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've been in Marriot Amstedam for 2 days meeting: the hotel is just a few steps from the centre of the city, 15 minutes walking to Dam square and 20 from the Red Light District, 10 minutes from the 3 most important museums, so perfect place. Large rooms, breakfast is amazing, very confortable meeting area!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

When I first booked the hotel I was worried that it may be to far from Dam Square & main areas. We were really pleased as we got the 297 bus just outside the arrivals hall and it took us to the stop across the road from the hotel. The check in was quick and we were asked if we wanted a king bed or 2 beds also which floor we preferred. It was a nice large room and very clean it had the usual products in the bathroom hairdryer safe iron & board tea/coffee facilities only down side was that there was no mini bar fridge. Breakfast was really good there's a buffet plus you can have omelet & eggs cooked to order.
Location it's near the museums & opposite the hard Rock cafe it's easy to walk to Dam square approx 15 mins and from the hotel to the Dam it's shops cafes restaurants all the way so it took us longer . I would definetly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Close to Leidseplein with all the entertainment (bars, clubs, eateries etc), within a walking distance from Dam square and Central station. The building is renovated from outside, inside it looks beautiful: very cosy lobby with a fireplace, nice restaurant, efficient reception. The standard rooms are not too big, but well equipped. The bathrobe and slippers are brought by request. Bathroom is supplied with hair dryer, shampoo and gels of high quality, also there is a bath rug for security. Breakfast is abundant and the restaurant staff are great.
The only disadvantage is that you must pay for high-speed internet in rooms (the free wi-fi available only at reception).

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

We chose Marriott because we wanted a certain standard and all our expectations were met. The location is great, included breakfast was very good and convenient, restaurant / bar was good, service and staff were friendly and attentive, the room was standard but comfortable and very quiet.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
County Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I just arrived home on Monday from Amsterdam. Myself and three of my friends stayed here for 3 nights. As we have never been to Amsterdam before we did not know what to expect. Arriving late at night we were exhausted and just wanted to lie down and grab something to eat. When we arrived to the Marriott we were told by the reception that we needed a credit card in which they were taking €150 and would put it back on the card upon checkout. We brought all cash with us, luckily my friend happened to bring her mothers Visa card with her so we used that. We were not informed on booking that we would need this so make sure if you are staying here you bring some form of credit card.
(We are still awaiting to see if the €150 has went back on the card)

We found the location of the hotel was ideal as Leidseplein has it's own area of pubs, shops and restaurants and we were delighted we could walk to most of the sites we wanted to visit. The Concierge staff were absolutely delightful. They went above and beyond for us and answered any questions we needed answering.

However, on Sunday night the night before we were checking out we arrived back to the hotel after a day of sightseeing, shopping and walking. All we wanted to do was relax in our room before we went out again. When we arrived at our bedroom door we found it to be locked from the inside. The 'do not disturb' sign was removed from the handle (we placed this there as we were rushing to get out in the morning so we had clothes and shoes in our room and the floor so no one would come in - 4 girls what do you expect!)

We went down to reception to find out what the issue was with our door and the lady informed us that Security wanted to have a word. We found this extremely strange and we were told to wait in the Lobby. A few moments later a man and woman appeared and asked us to take a seat. There were other people in the Lobby who were staring and I was instantly embarrassed and concerned. What happened next I couldn't believe.

The Security man told us that our room was 'not normal' and too messy for housekeeping to clean there. He told us we either clean it now or find somewhere else to stay for the night. He then escorted us up to our room where he asked us if he could trust us to clean the room or does he have to stand over us.He said it was a Five Star hotel and this was not normal behaviour I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I do not know if the hotel saw four 21 year olds and came to the conclusion that we were unable to afford to stay in the hotel or if they just took advantage of the fact that we were young but I have never been so humiliated in my life.I told him we had the 'do not disturb' sign on the handle for a reason as we were checking out the next morning and would obviously clean the room. It was only a few clothes! I know I have left my own bedroom in a lot worse condition. I even have pictures of the room to prove it wasn't messy. I have stayed in many five star hotels across the world. I was recently in Los Angeles staying in hotels such as The Hilton and The Four Seasons and I have never came across so much unprofessionalism and rudeness. We had an appointment for 20:40 for an exhibition in the city but missed this appointment as we had to CLEAN OUR ROOM?

We lost out on our money and didn't have the time to reschedule. I have never been so angry or humiliated and I hope this never happens anyone else who stays here. Also we got a bill slid under our door that we had to pay a city tax for each day we stayed? I do not know if this is a normal thing but I have never heard of it before. When I asked the woman at reception what it was all about she just told me we had to pay it that was it. We didn't have a bad word to say about the trip until this happened and ruined our last night. The concierge staff are such gents and the security of this hotel has really let the name down. I hope something is done about this as it is an absolute disgrace.

Also as everyone else is pointing out too, for the price we payed to stay here free Wifi should at least be included.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Guus V, Front Office Manager at Marriott Amsterdam, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay at the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. I was very sorry to learn of the incident that occurred during your stay and how our response made you feel. You can be assured that we will follow up internally to see what went wrong and what we can do better next time. We do not enter a room with a privacy sign unless a certain time limit is exceeded so I was surprised to learn that this seemed to be ignored during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this experience with our Lost Prevention Officer. Meanwhile I was glad to learn that the Concierge and Bell stand team were very helpful and provided you with helpful recommendations. In order to check in we ask our guests to provide us with a valid method of payment the guarantee the room and any possible incidental charges. This is in often a credit card or a cash deposit.
The city of Amsterdam charges their guests’ city tax through their hotel stays. This is stated as well in all the confirmations of the bookings. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and if you wish to share any additional feedback please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Guus Verhulst
Front Office Manager

Been to Marriott Amsterdam? Share your experiences!