“Standard Marriot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Amsterdam

You added Marriott Amsterdam to your Saves list
Marriott Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 12, 1054 ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #71 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Belgrade, Serbia
“Standard Marriot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

The rooms are standard Marriott type , but well kept., Service is decent , location is great , and really you cannot expect anything more from this Marriott.
The steak restaurant within the hotel is excellent and offers a variety of food and an excellent choice of wines.They should only work on ventilation a bit so as to make it perfect.
All in all ,one of better Marriott hotels I stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seaside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Quick recap - I've stayed at this property six or seven times and have always found the same problems with the bell staff and concierge staff. It's the same people I've seen for a decade and none of them seem to enjoy their job. As if helping people disrupts their day (even though that's the only thing they should be doing). Otherwise everything else about the property is fantastic including the rest of the staff, the location, rooms etc.

Pros -
Great location! Far enough outside the center to avoid the riff raff :), but close enough that's it's only a tram ride from Centraal Station. Also right next to Van Gogh and Riksmuseum, plus right at Leidseplein to grab the hop on hop off canal boat.
Large, clean, comfortable, quiet, soundproof rooms with high quality Marriott beds and bedding. (Tip - always request a Leidseplein view room :)
Excellent air-conditioning (sadly that can't be said for too many European hotels)
Great executive lounge

Cons -
Bell and concierge staff range from Indifferent to rude. They seem to hate their jobs, it's strange.
Marriott has yet to refurbish all their bathrooms with large walk in showers. I keep hoping and waiting, but this property, like most Marriott hotels, still has that annoying shower/tub combination :).
It is expensive to stay here. For about the same rate you could stay at the ultra deluxe Hotel L'Europe - but to be honest for all the positives, it's worth the price.

Full review
The front desk staff are very overworked but every time I arrive they are friendly and helpful and always try to find a great room. You should always ask for a Leidseplein view room, with a balcony. There are only a few of them so don't hold your breath, but if you get lucky, it adds a wow factor to your stay.

Amsterdam has a great tram system and there's a stop about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. The canal boats are about a 30 second walk away. The Van Gogh and Rikjmuseum are just walking distance so if you're a museum person this really is the perfect spot.

They have a steak house which is good, if not insanely overpriced. They important all their steaks from the US though so the prices match that. Otherwise the food is typical Marriott - club sandwiches, burgers, everything you expect.

The executive lounge is great. The staff has been around for years and they always remember you. Breakfast is wonderful and the free drinks and snacks at night make the experience so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a Leidseplein room with a balcony. There are only a handful, but if you get lucky you'll...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The worst Marriott hotel so far for my international trips. The location is fine, the building looks dated, the services however were totally unsatisfactory.

There was no greeting when I got to the door with my luggage. The staff didn't offer to help me with the luggage neither. There were two ladies at the front desk with no customer. Still they were deep in their own discussion so I just stood there and waited till one of them finally looked at me. There were no greeting no smile. She asked for the passport then started to talk to another staff like I was not there. I didn't feel I was welcome there.

The room was fine for $300 per night. However the internet and breakfast were not included. There was no a piece of chocolate on the bedside. There was not a free of charge bottle of water available. I didn't realized I need to call for the bathrobe till I was done with the shower and tried to look for it. Really, what's the point to have the bathrobe available somewhere else other than in the room?

I was told I would be able to check out from the TV. Well, it didn't work on the day I was leaving. OK, I had a plane to catch and still had to go to front desk to check out. It probably was unlucky day for me. I was waiting in the elevator area for 10 minutes but none of elevators was working. Then called the front desk and was told they were having a scheduled power outage. WTH, could anyone pick a better time or communicate this out earlier.

No, I won't recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Meredith_Opten, Executive Assistant at Marriott Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value your experience as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service our guests expect and are sorry to hear this was not apparent during your stay. We would appreciate if you could contact us directly so that we could have the opportunity to discuss this further, in hopes of welcoming you back again to the Amsterdam Marriott.

Kind regards,
Meredith Opten
+31206075500
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Not my first stay and quite frankly, not my last. This hotel is in the heart of Amsterdam and very convenient in many ways.

The staff, service and facilities are great. Very much down to earth and I love it.

Katowice, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel has good location, looks awful from the outside but gets much better once inside. Seems to be very busy all the time and checking in could be a pain. Very friendly and knowledgable staff. The room was OK, breakfast nice but pricey (27 EUR). Lovely restaurant (steakhouse) on the ground floor though - Midtown Grill. Overall there are much better choices in this price bracket.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First Impressions: As we got off the tram and saw the Marriott signage we were pretty worried we made the wrong choice. The facade of the hotel looks very dated. However our worries were soon dissipated as we walked into the lobby. We were greeted as we entered the lobby and directed to the check in counter. Was expecting to leave our luggage with the conceirge as we arrived at 11AM but was pleasantly told they have a room ready for us. Check in was a pleasant expenrience.

Rooms: The room is a little small but adequate for a couple. We were given a room facing the side of the building and our view was the building opposite and if I tilted my head a little I could see the main street. That being said, noise isolation was good. The bed and pillows were standard Marriott fare as far as my experience goes, plenty of pillows and soft comfy beds. The bathroom is average but the bathtub is extremely small. I am only 5"7 and it was a challenge to fit into that bathtub. Shower pressure was good which is always a plus point for me. And the air conditioning unit worked fine.

Location: Just across the street from the Leidseplein where there are an assortments of restaurants, pubs and coffeeshops. Wouldn't know how long it will take on foot to other destinations as we got the 72 hours GVB card for unlimited travel on all trams,buses and metros which were good value.

Service & Ammenities: Only used the free wifi at the lobby and that was alright. Did not use any other amenities or are aware of any. Did not visit the restaurant as well. The weather did not behave as well when we there as it rainned the 3 days we were there. For an established hotel like Marriott, I would have expected them to have proper umbrellas. This was clearly not the case as the concierge was kind enough to look for any umbrellas that might have been left behind in the storage room. He informed us the umbrella he passed us was the only one. We were grateful and went on our way. It only started raining an hour after we left the hotel and this is when we found out that the umbrella was faulty. As we returned in the evening, I passed the umbrella back to a different concierge and informed him the umbrella was faulty. He told me he would dispose of the umbrella. However minutes later I saw him pass the same umbrella to another guest who obviously returned minutes later as it was pouring outside. That is a big negative for me.

Information: I believe hotels should alert customers/potential customers when they are under renovation/construction work. At the least on the hotel website. I was only informed of renovation works on check in. The excuse given was, oh it will only happen between late morning to early evening so you should be fine. On this trip it was fine but what if I just wanted to rest and relax in the room?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here in mid-October. Wouldn't really recommend this hotel. There's nothing obviously wrong about it, but everything is just mediocre, like a Holiday Inn in the states, and I'm sure there are most interesting and nicer places for same price. Room was medium-sized and stuffy, shower was okay, bed was comfortable (girlfriend) or uncomfortable (me), breakfast food was okay but breakfast area poorly designed and always packed so the staff seemed overwhelmed (one time I got up for some food and when I came back they had sat another couple at my table). Also the hallway smelled like smoke for two of our three days. Although I will say the concierge was really good, very friendly and helpful. In fact just about all the staff were nice. But otherwise I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Amsterdam? Share your experiences!