We have just returned after a short holiday in Amsterdam and surroundings and our accomodation was at Marriott Amsterdam; it was probably the 4th or 5th time we have stayed there, the second time just for this year and we have decided to avoid this hotel from now on.
Hotel is fine - I mean the building itself, the rooms and ammenities; what made us dissappointed was the service we got, as follow:
- you would expect a hotel like Marriott to keep guests' personal data so that the check in process would take seconds; as I told, we have been there twice just this year but still I had to fill in all details on the registration form;
- we have rented a car during our stay and we have obviously used the hotel parking - for the rate of 5 EUR/hour or 55 EUR/day; same rate apply to the public parking place in the vicinity so I question myself if Marriott could not make a preferential rate for hotel guests, considering I've paid 270 EUR per day for bed and breakfast only ...;
- cleaning in the room was not OK; towels in bathroom not changed every day; one evening my wife spent 15 minutes looking for her pyjama that she knew she left on the pillow; she found it finally thrown under the bed - difficult to understand how it went there;
- breakfast was the same for 4 days in a row; not to many choices and absolutelly no variation; in my opinion the food was not of high quality;
- speaking about breakfast: everyone has to stand at the entrance and a waiter is taking him to the table; the problem was that number of tables in the restaurand is by far to small so that many people were standing at the door and looking the others eating for even more than 10 minutes; I would say this is not a nice way to start a day;
- the gentleman in concierge was not very polite when I have asked him for some small things such as a city map or assistance in calling my room from the lobby;
- my bill at the end was overcharged by 220 EUR and it was corrected when I show the error to the lady at check out.
As a conclusion: all the issues above are not necessary critical but when I'm booking Marriott I would expect to get a service close to perfection. The same bed, food and poor service I could get to any 3 stars hotel in the area but for half of the price.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
September 16, 2013
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We were disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and would very much like the opportunity to discuss this with your personally. Please feel free to contact us in hopes that we can prove ourselves a better in host, and the possibility to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Marriott again in the near future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.