“Short weekend stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Amsterdam

You added Marriott Amsterdam to your Saves list
Marriott Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 12, 1054 ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #74 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
london
“Short weekend stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

No faults, friendly, clean and comfy...perfect stay for couples, family or business. I went with my husband for a the weekendto visit Amsterdam, perfect location and close to trams and train station, staff was very friendly as are most of the Dutch people I met. Rooms clean and comfy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights with our 2 children aged 9 and 12. The location of the hotel is great. It's very easy to walk to pretty much everywhere. The rooms were a little old fashioned in decoration but kept in good order and clean. Breakfast was not included in the nightly fee of €200 and cost €26 per person. Very steep and with many cafes and restaurants close by charging €10 for full breakfast, perhaps the Marriott should reconsider the price of their breakfast. Wifi is charged extra... Be warned, if you do not want to pay for wifi, please ensure you tell your children not to enter their surname and room number on their devices after the free half hour runs out!! You wont get confirmation from the hotel that this has happened until your day of departure! We were charged a hefty bill for a service we didnt even know we had or used. Overall the hotel was nice and its location great, but just too expensive for what it was. I always think you get what you pay for but on this occasion, the Marriott did not live up to our expectations.

• Stayed August 2013
Amsnt, Executive Assistant at Marriott Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We were happy to hear that you had a good stay and that the family room was accommodating for you and your children however regret to learn that the internet and breakfast prices did not meet your expectations. Our restaurant Midtown Grill offers an a la carte menu, as well as, all you can eat buffet with chefs making special orders to meet our guests individual wishes, and discounted prices for children. We appreciate your comments regarding the internet and will do our best to better inform families that the internet is complimentary in the lobby area. Should your travels bring you back to Amsterdam we hope you will consider staying with the Marriott in hopes we can better meet your expectations in the future.

Kind regards,
Meredith Opten
Executive Assistant
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was here in August, transiting from Amsterdam to another European city. I chose this one because it's a Marriott. I found there were pros and cons, and most of the cons were my fault, ultimately, which is where I had trouble rating the hotel accurately.

The wifi - that's just ridiculous in this day and age. I hate overt money-grabs. I just used the free wifi in the lobby. Most restaurants and bars will let you log in, anyway.

The check-in. OK. Not their problem that I arrived at 5a after a flight from hell and super-exhausted but I did call in advance telling them that I have a life-threatening illness and would need a room ASAP, and the girl assured me I could get one as soon as one was available and that it wasn't necessary for me to book the previous evening's room as there'd be checkouts happening through the morning. I thanked her, got her name (same as my niece, so I remembered it). I asked for her two mornings later when I arrived and the girl said, there's no-one by that name at the front desk.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after 4 hours of sitting with my bags in their lobby and watching streams of people checking out starting around 7a, it was 10a before they started to release the rooms.

As I say, mainly my issue, not theirs. I was using points and trying to save money so didn't book the 2 nights. And the next morning, I saw poor suckers in my place, so felt at least that they were consistent with their policy. And, the European thing does tend to be, not-round-the-clock service. Sooo...

The concierge was a font of info and easy to deal with.

The location is great for the Leidesplein - right across the bridge.

Overall, it was a big hotel and during my trip overseas this time around I actually was happier at smaller hotels.

Some tips: one night I took the wrong turn out of the hotel and wandered in the directions away from the Leidesplein - and ended up in a quasi business / residential / non-touristy and not-particularly-lovely part of town and decided to just eat dinner there - a place called Screaming Beans - and wow, was the food ever good - very artsy - no clue what I was eating but it was superb. Real Dutch fusion type cuisine and North Sea this and that that I'd never heard of. Would highly recommend. Jazz band was setting up to play just as I was leaving - other patrons seemed to be locals.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the marriott amsterdam from aug 3rd to aug 9th this year, and I have to say this is an excellent hotel.
Ideally located, steps away to VondelPark and the museums area, this is the right option if not fancy staying in the red liht district area (which particulary I prefer) as this part of the city feels much more authentic and real

top quality service, an excellent room (505) and plenty of helpful staff did of our stay an extremely pleasant one.

Recommend with no doubt.

Only downside: A bit crowded during the breakfast hours, but I guess the hotel was 100% occupied...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your brilliant experience on Trip Advisor. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the authentic location of the Marriott. We agree the hotel is convenient to the major sights in a neighborhood setting with the famous Vondelpark next door where you can enjoy a nice walk or take in one of the free open air concerts in the summer months. We also appreciate your compliments regarding the room and excellent service you received regardless of the peak moments during breakfast. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,
Meredith Opten
Executive Assistant
Leyland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

As has been pointed out by other reviewers, this is not really 5 star. Probably a 4. Other negatives are the lack of free wifi connectivity in the rooms. Nearly 7 euros per day to read your emails and nearly 20 per day for full high speed access are a bit steep. It is available for fee in the lobby - if you can find a seat! (By the way if you use a linux system you may not be able to connect at all.) Rooms are ok but the price of breakfast is expensive. There are plenty of places across the road eg Cafe Stanislavsky at a more realistic price. The lobby seems much too small for the queues of guests trying to check in or check out. On the positive side staff were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is well placed for travel to the main sites in Amsterdam either on foot, by tram/bus or even by boat. Also the steak grill in the hotel is excellent if rather pricey.

Room Tip: If you select a room facing inwards it is very quiet and you can turn off the droning AC and open th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Right across the street from the Amsterdam Casino and the Hard Rock. One minute from the Van Gogh Musuem. The bus stop to the airport is right there and you can take the number five or the seven to the train station. Excellent.

Room Tip: Ask to face the KLM sign.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Smithtown, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Hands down the most helpful concierge staff EVER! They made our visit to Amsterdam so much more pleasant. Directions, recommendations for food and attractions, reservations, tickets, you name it they had the answers. Always with a smile and never with an attitude.
As for the hotel. It's a Marriott. Great location and staff. Nice size room and very clean. Why 3 stars and not 5? Glad you asked. You need new towels! ALL the towels and wash cloths were threadbare and scratchy. If they could figure out a way to charge you for the toilet paper they would. Guys, it's 2013 and you still charge for wireless connections by the day! Your coffee machine in the lobby was out of order so you charged me 7.5 euros for coffee in the morning?
I still a fan. Marriott is always a safe bet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott Amsterdam? Share your experiences!