“Great hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Amsterdam

You added Marriott Amsterdam to your Saves list
Marriott Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stadhouderskade 12, 1054 ES Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #74 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
NY
“Great hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We got lucky with the Marriott since there was a 20% off deal, so I immediately booked it after reading some reviews. Glad I did. Great hotel to come to after a 7 hr flight. We arrived at 6am and the lady who checked us in was super nice (wish I remembered her name) and found us an empty room with a city view without charging us extra. She even gave us a voucher for free breakfast for one day. Breakfast was a good variety. Room was nice and spacious with 2 double beds. I liked the location since it's in the outer canal belt...but close enough to a lot of sites.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, don't waste your money on a taxi. You can easily take the 197 bus from the airport (think it was 4 euros which you can pay on the bus) to the Marriott. Get off at Leidesplein. It was about 30 mins or so. It drops you off about a block from the hotel.

People said Amsterdam was a walkable city...I sorta disagree. It's walkable...but a pretty big city too so it tires you out. We started taking the tram everywhere instead which worked perfectly for us. The main trams were about a 5 min walk from hotel. There are lots of bars/restaurants all outside the hotel in the main area - Leidesplein. Good place to hang out and people watch. Vondel park is about 4 blocks away...nice park. We rented bikes for a day and went around the park. Amsterdam is a bike city...I think they have the right of way over pedestrians....took some getting used to crossing the streets with all the bikers whizzing by!

We took a full day tour to see the windmills, volendam, marken, delft, the hague and madurodam. DON'T do a tour. It's seriously not worth the money ($80). The first half of the trip was ALL automated commentary! You only get about 45 mins per town to walk around which isn't enough. You can spend less than half that to do it on your own and at your own pace. I knew this, but we were short on time and thought we would learn a lot more from tour guides about each town. But you don't learn much through automated commentary. The towns are small enough to just walk around and enjoy. I regret not doing it on my own. But overall, I liked the different towns, especially Volendam. I also liked the Hague too b/c my friend who lives there took us to the beach which you don't see when you're on a tour. Great place to chill and have dinner/drinks.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I only had one night this time and I wish I had more. I had a fantastic room up on the top floor that had everything you expect. The bed may be too soft for some, but I loved it.
The hotel is close to Leidseplein and just across from the Casino and this is my favorite location to be at when I am in Amsterdam.

Sorry for the short review, but it is not that much to say, the place is great. End of story.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

If you travel to Amsterdam, and you believe location is truly value added -- when it saves time, and enhances your travel experience -- look no further, this is your destination. The Marriott has great amenities in terms of the fitness center, food, and cocktails. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean. It is so close to Vondel Park, Leidsplein, and the Museumplein. The rooms and service make this an ideal choice if you want to take the guess work out of choosing a hotel. This is especially important in Amsterdam where a glossy advertisement doesn't always represent true quality standards for accommodations -- regardless of the historical hype. The Marriott can be proud of how well the corporate standards are maintained in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here for one night and had a very good experience. Room was clean and comfortable. Location was excellent- about a 5 minute walk from the tram that goes to Dam Square and the Central Railway Station, and within walking distance of many restaurants and shops. Definitely recommend this!

pocono mtns, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were very happy with the hotel. All the amenities we needed were there. The location couldn't have been better. It was the perfect central location to sightsee but always close to the hotel if needed.

Del Mar, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here primarily for its proximity to the art museums. The hotel was adequate and the room was average size and very typical for a Marriott property. The Executive Lounge was good and had a good breakfast. This was the third Marriott hotel I stayed at on this trip in Europe that had Internet connectivity problems, so again I had limited laptop use. The hotel served my purpose and I would stay here again.

WHITEHORSE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for two nights and had a pleasant experience but with a terrible view. We were placed in a room that looked on to dingy windows of other rooms. Aside from that the hotel was clean, reception was helpful and it was one of the few places in Europe that easily fits 4 people into one standard room. The bathrooms were lovely. The hotel was quite typical of what you would get from any Marriott, Holiday Inn or other North American type hotel. It was in a very central location and handy to Vondel Park and the down town area. I would never eat here - too expensive. Don't get ripped off by the taxi drivers like we did. If you are coming from the Central Train station you could hop on a tram that will drop you off right outside of the doors. If I recall correctly the trams that go in front of the hotel are 1,2,5 and should cost around 2.5 euros.

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces the street if you want to see some of the action in Amsterdam