“no heating” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #131 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
“no heating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

It was december and my room heating was not working , so reception girl came to my room and checked the said "yes it is not heating let me send you portable heater" :) :)
And she send a small portable heater... Hotel standart level is lower then Holiday Inn standarts. If you cant find a good hotel then could be an alternative..

Room Tip: Ask for a warm room.....
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnAmsterdam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear ottomansultan,
Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your stay.
I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with the heating. Hopefully the solution provided by our front desk employee was sufficient and kept you warm in your room.
We hope that during a future stay you can experience our proper room quality.

771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
Baghdad, Iraq
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed here initially with a Groupon deal and then again off our own bat. First time I had modest expectations of a Holiday Inn, essentially thinking it a better version of a Travelodge but nowhere near a Novotel.

The hotel is pleasant and reasonably plush, pleasant and clean - much more so than I thought. The little bistro on the first floor does have hotel prices, but is reasonable value with good food and excellent service. Having Angry Birds available in the lifts makes the little boring moments much less tedious!

It's located well, slightly out of the way, by the RAI convention centre (think Birmingham NEC just not way out of town). However it's just next to an NS railway station with regular links to Amsterdam Central (change once) and at the end of the tram terminus. This works well, it feels like you're taking a sort of 'scenic route; run (about 20 mins) through Amsterdam in the morning, to the square by the central station via the funky Rembrandtsplein. It's got a decent little mini-gym too.

I had numerous changes and unexpected amendments prior to arrival, and the reservations staff here really couldn't have been better - cheerfully and efficiently taking change after change in their stride. I agree that the free Wifi was a little slow unless you paid rather more than you'd expect for the faster version - but hey look it's a business hotel. I found they were much better than I thought when I ended up bringing in the family. They couldn't do enough to be helpful.

For me the real gems were the staff. What I really noticed is that 'bored student' staff were instead bright and energetic, without being 'cheesy' every single morning at breakfast. We were also well served by a gent who would have fitted effortlessly at The Savoy one dinnertime, without any hint of grouching or resentment at where he might have been without a world recession. You simply wouldn't get this in the UK. I cannot praise this place enough and will look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: Contact in advance, they'll do their best for you within limits. Higher floors get less noise fr...
Dear Nigel 'Steff' P,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
It is great to read that we were able to change your mind about the image of Holiday Inn and your compliments regarding the property, our team and the location are highly appreciated.
We will definately forward the compliments about our reservations staff to that department.
We are looking forward to receive your next review.
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn while attending a conference at the RAI. Location-wise it is the ultimate solution as you're a five minute walk away from the RAI. Because of that I'm guessing the hotel is focussed on a businnes audience. For example, a private car park and wifi are available but they come at a price. Room and bathroom are spacious and the room interior comes with a classic (wooden) look. The desk in the room was a big plus. I ended up using it a lot. The only negative worth mentioning is the television set. Such a small screen and bad screen quality! It has come up in a lot of reviews and management should really upgrade this sooner then later. That's why I'm setting the room score to average. I'm guessing it might upset a lot of people.
After all the hard working during the day, we always ended up in the bar which I can highly suggest. The bartender is a great companion! Concerning breakfast, no negatives here either. Staff is really helpful and there's something for every taste.
In short, great as a business hotel and practically sticking to the RAI. Would probably not stay here with the family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnAmsterdam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear xof_be,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.
We highly appreciate your detailed review regarding our hotel, the services we provide and our bartender. TV screens is indeed a topic we are looking into. Should you consider visiting us with your family, tram 4 takes you to the city centre within 15 minutes. Which makes the hotel great for guests who like to visit Amsterdam, but do not want to stay in the city centre.
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here one night only and was disappointed about the service.
As IHG Platinum member I expect more! I expect a good check in with my benefits being a Platinum member. No internet, no room upgrade, nothing..
The room was clean but cold. The heating didnt work, called reception several times but not helpful at all ( I felt I would bother them ).. At check out no apology as I mentioned the issues.
Would not come back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear benu2014,
Thank you for leaving a review regarding your stay at our hotel.
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the heating and upon check in. We will definately address these issues with the department heads. As an IHG member you are indeed entitled to several benefits. Room upgrades are always based upon availability.
Thank you again for providing us feedback.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I am staying here at the moment, really want to complain about the internet, 22 euro for 24 hr!!! I would not have come here if I knew it. No breakfast either. If you like Holiday Inn, the Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-south is probably a better choice, with free wifi, free breakfast, free parking. It just seems so ridiculous that in the 21st century this hotel does not provide free wifi, implying the limitation the hotel can grow with its customers. The hotel room has a lot to improve. There are stains on the carpet, and the room smelled the first night we came, the cups were not cleaned after first day, but they cleaned it the next day. It has a soup, hand wash, shampoo....and that's all, maybe it is Amsterdam, there is no lotion. Anyway, it is really annoying to pay a lot for internet. Next time I will pay extra attentions not to book a hotel without free wifi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnAmsterdam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Victoria L,
Thank you for writing a review during your stay.
Like most Amsterdam hotels we do not include internet in the roomrates, but offer it seperately. Internet is something we are continuously monitoring and making improvements when needed. Should you need anything during your stay feel free to call reception so they can assist you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I just spent two nights with my family as a Platinum member at the hotel. The rooms on the floor I was on could use a makeover - at least the bath room. The heating didn't work - therefore I called the reception. The person told us that the temperature was supposed to be at 23 degrees Celsius in our room - which it definitely wasn't - and therefore the heating doesn't heat any further. Therefore they brought us a small standalone heater which stopped working after an hour. Next morning I called again and then they brought us a heater which then worked.
I expected an IHG members lounge which turned out to be the regular bar with no complimentary drinks at all - except water.
Location: it is nicely located near the RAI station (7 stops by metro to Centraal station) and RAI conference center in a business setting. However there are no restaurants or pubs in close walking distance.

Having been in many IHG properties and other hotels chains: you can expect better value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnAmsterdam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear stinsonbeach13,
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
Your compliments regarding the location is highly appreciated. Our porter could have informed you about restaurants and pubs in the area as there are several within a 15-minute walking distance. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the heating in the room and I hope this did not affect the overall quality of your stay.
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed for a couple of nights in this hotel in Dec 2013. The hotel is very conveniently located near the RAI metro station and the origin point for Tram 4. The hotel is just 15 mins from Schiphol in cab.

The rooms were well laid out and had all the amenities needed. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Another added advantage was good vegetarian options for breakfast, which were part of the spread - didn't have to especially ask for that - sometimes a problem in European hotels. There is a small in house coffee shop which was well stocked.

Only issue - WiFi is not free, something you would expect from business hotels.

Room Tip: Book with the breakfast and Wifi included upfront - adding them at the time of check in can result i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnAmsterdam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear AashishC,
Thank you for taking the time writing a review on this page.
We highly appreciate your compliments regarding our breakfast buffet and it is great to read that we could accommodate your vegetarian wishes.
Internet is something we are continuously monitoring and evaluating.
Pascal Aartman

Been to Holiday Inn Amsterdam? Share your experiences!