“Descent Hotel with nice employees.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #131 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Oslo, Norway
“Descent Hotel with nice employees.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I chose this hotel because I was at a convention at the RAI center. This is less than 10 minutes walk from the hotel. The Metro is also only a few minutes away.
The staff is very nice and the rooms are nice.
It was a disappointment that I had to pay €22 extra for breakfast. But the biggest disappointment was that I had to pay €17 per 24h of wifi. Now a days wifi should be free on any hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Robert_G_1971 ,
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review on Tripadvisor.
For conferences at the RAI our hotel is indeed ideally located. Thank you for your comments regarding the rooms and our staff. We do our utmost to make every stay an enjoyable stay.
We continue to evaluate the internet and are looking to other hotels in Amsterdam as well. Unfortunately at this point most hotels do not include internet in their rates.

786 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

OK hotel, nice staff. However, extra charge for wifi (22 euros!!) is simply not acceptable, this is the 21st century guys. Restaurant was very tny too, we were assured upon check-in no reservation was required, only to be told when we showed up that there was a one-hour wait to get a table. Ended up crossing the street for the Novotel's restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear MC76Brussels_Belgium,
Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your recent stay in our hotel. Feedback like this gives us the possibility to adjust our services and products where needed.
I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding your wishes to dine in the restaurant. This comment will definately be looked into by the Front Desk manager.
Perhaps during your next stay you will have the opportunity to experience our restaurant.
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Nice hotel. A bit south but the no.4 tram is a nice trip. Buses are cheaper for a family with a one day pass at 14 euro.

We arrived late in the day and had a meal in their restaurant. Food good but outrageously expensive and we would recommend you eat out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stephen T,
Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor about the stay with your family.
Our hotel is indeed conveniently located near public transportation which takes you to the city centre in a few minutes.
The restaurant is competitively priced compared to our surroundings. If you would like to dine outside the hotel, then our porter or reception can give you suggestions.
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Mainly a business hotel I guess given the proximity to RAI, and that was why I stayed here (chosen by my employer). But I extended into the weekend so my family could join me. Whilst the hotel is lacking in family or kids entertainment, the staff make up for it with their friendly, flexible and courteous service. Especially Charles on reception. Don't worry about the location being south of Amsterdam centre - the number 4 tram is 3 minutes walk away and only takes 15-20 minutes to get into the centre. And the food was surprisingly good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear David3WFC,
Thank you for leaving a review about your stay with your family.
Your compliments about our reception staff will definately be passed on to them. It is great to read that they contributed to an enjoyable stay for you and later your family as well.
The public transportation is indeed close to the hotel, which makes the hotel perfect for guests who like to stay in a quit environment, but close to the city centre.
Again many thanks for your review.
Kihei, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Though we had reservations a couple of months or more in advance, the Movenpick Hotel changed us to the Holiday Inn against our wishes. However, it turned out to be quite nice. The staff could not have been more accommodating and tried extremely hard to make our stay very comfortable. The room was nice, clean & comfortable. The only drawback was that we were out of the city center so it was necessary to take the tram in everyday to meet up with our friends at the Movenpick. However, if you are looking for a quiet, comfortable place to stay with a nice breakfast and friendly staff, you won't be disappointed. The wifi is not cheap and that may be a turnoff for some but you cannot go wrong with this hotel. Even the tram ride allowed us to see more of the city which turned out to be a plus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MnMStanfield,
Your review about your stay at the Holiday Inn Amsterdam is highly appreciated.
It is great to read that, eventhough we were not your first choice, you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and in our hotel. We take pride in our hotelteam and the service we provide. Perhaps we have become a first choice during a next stay.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I'm a die hard Marriott fan. I will be honest -- I've always seen Holiday Inn as a cheap service/amenity hotel. In the USA I would never of stayed at a Holiday Inn. Until Amsterdam... I stayed at this hotel on business for a conference I was speaking at in the RAI convention center. The association I was speaking for booked my hotel at the Holiday Inn with all of the other speakers and meeting organizers. I was upset knowing this as I flew into Amsterdam. I made it to the hotel very easily via the train (very easy!). It was just about a less than 5 minute walk from the quick 15 - 20 minute train ride from Schipol.

When I arrived at the hotel I was VERY pleased with the interior of the lobby. It was very modern, clean, and not cheap looking at all. It smelled wonderful and the staff was superb! I walked around the hotel and visited the bar area as well as had dinner at their restaurant. The food was delicious as was the service. My room was wayyy better than I expected for a Holiday Inn. Flat screen TV, cable, clean bedding and room, smell was great, clean bathroom, all was great!

I wouldn't stay here if I was coming for fun because it is isn't all that central to much anything that a tourist would want to do. I did have 2 free days and took the train to a few places outside of where the hotel was located. For business and my visit to the Rai... this place was awesome!!

I loved it! It made me even consider staying at Holiday Inn properties in the states... I haven't yet but it made me think about it!

Room Tip: Take the train to and from the airport... it is easy and very cheap!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear justadude1986,
It is great to read that the Holiday Inn Amsterdam was able to change your opinion about the Holiday Inn image. Even if a future stay is not business related, we can always give you tips about transportation to the city centre. So thank you for these kind words and we hope to be your host again in the future.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

In this expensive hotel, they dont really think you are paying enough... WiFi (although working pretty good), is an expensive merchendise, at €15/day.... no discount on 4 days+ staying... Ridiculous... Nelly where are you sleeping while at #BBWF..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, General Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear JakaMele,
Your review regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Amsterdam is highly appreciated.
We try to inform our guests as best as possible about any additional costs which may occur during their stay. The use of internet or Wi-Fi is one of those extra's.
Martijn Fritsen

Been to Holiday Inn Amsterdam? Share your experiences!