“Good decision to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Good decision to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We decided to go there only a few days before our trip. The hotel is placed very go. Easy to come to the center of Amsterdam. All people working at the reservation were very friendly and helpful. It was a clean middle class hotel and I would stay there again during my next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed in the hotel with my friends during the winter time of 2013. The city was simply amazing, you can't probably find anything similar to Amsterdam. The hotel is quite new and well maintained. Public areas are clean, staff in friendly. We have especially liked the breakfast, the quality of food was very high, everything was fresh and tasty. Recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Paulien_vanhalm, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear BJNY81,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed Amsterdam and the Holiday Inn so much. I forwarded your compliments about the breakfast and about the friendliness of our staff to the team, they really appreciate it. Thank you!

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night in the summer thanks to a Amsterdam city trip from Groupon. Being from the US, we have plenty of Holiday Inns and this one was just like the others. It was clean, the staff was friendly and the food was amazing!
Finding the hotel was a bit of a struggle for us, but in the end we found it. There are trams right outside of the building! Upon entering the hotel, we were sent to a room that was not cleaned yet. After telling the staff, we were upgraded to the executive suite on their behalf. The executive suite was just like any other normal hotel room but the bed was king sized and the bathroom was double the normal size. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean!
Breakfast was amazing. It was just like any other Holiday Inn. They served a great amount of food and a lot of different choices! It was very delicious and gave us a lot of energy for the rest of the day!
All in all, if I was to come back to Amsterdam, I would definitely stay at this hotel! All Holiday Inns in my opinion are great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gabby P,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is great to read that your experience with Holiday Inn is worldwide quite similar and that it is up to your expectations. I am sorry to hear that you were send up first to a dirty room. I communicated this directly to the involved teams to prevent this from happening again in the future. We are looking forward to welcome you when you are back in Amsterdam!

Thank you!

Orpington, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 21/23-8-13, we booked with a Groupon voucher which was £139.00 for the 2 nights. We arrived at the hotel about 10:30 ( its only 15 min bu train from Schiphol airport), the receptionist said that our room wasn't ready but we were wellcome to leave our bags and explore Amsterdam.
We got back to the hotel about 17:00, to find we had been up graded to a bigger room at no extra cost.
The room had a king size bed, multi channel TV, coffee making facilities and a mini bar, dont use the mini bar unless you want to pay £11.00 for a miniture bottle of brandy, or £6.00 for a Mars bar!!
The buffet breakfast was invluded in the room rate, and there was a good selection of hot and cold food, which was all lovely.
The bar was a bit expensive, £8.00 for a pint of larger, and £4.00 for a small coffee.
we enjoyed our stsy here, the staff were very friendly and helpfull, i forgot my shaver and travel plug both of which they gave me free of charge ( the travel plug had to be returned or it cost ?10.00) with out any hassel.
They sell Holland passes at the reception which are good value for money, we purchased the Holland 5, (1 each @ ?58.00) which gave us 48hrs unlimited tram and metro, entrance into 7 museums canal boat rides etc.
the hotel looks like its out of the way but its only 20min by tram from all the action.
Hope this has been helpful, and enjoy your stay.

Paulien_vanhalm, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Paul M,

We really appreciate you've taken the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor. It is our goal to provide the best service possible and I am happy to read that my colleague at the reception was so helpful to you. And yes, a review from one of our guests is always helpful, so once again thank you very much!

Epsom, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

After purchasing a great deal on groupon for a 2 night stay at the Holiday Inn, I was extremely happy with the hotel. As I had booked so ahead in advance we were on the Priority Club floor, the room was lovely, staff were beyond helpful and kind and the breakfast was amazing! I could eat the pancakes every morning! Renting bikes at the hotel was also so much fun and the near by tram was handy to get around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mhairi13,

Thank you so much for the great comments on TripAdvisor! We are very pleased to hear you had such a great experience in Amsterdam and with us. When you come to visit Amsterdam next time, we will make sure the pancakes are warm and ready for you!

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

what a pleasure, after 3 weeks of travel we were homesick. the food was awesome and tasted like a home cooked meal. the waiter Ziaad was a star!!! he sat next to my kids and encouraged them to eat a full plate of food, wow. afterwards he took them to the kitchen and got them to personally tell the chef they ate their food and they could get ice cream. service like this you don't get every day. thank you

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Atichauer,

How great to read that you enjoyed our restaurant so much! And what a compliment to Zia! I shared your review with him and he was really thankful and told me he had a great time with you and your family.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel when I was Platinum member of Priority Club (now IHG rewards) program.
I was traveling alone on business.

It is not my first time at Holiday Inn Amsterdam and my August stay was little different from the previous one, which speaks positive about consistency of the hotel product.

First of all this hotel is not your typical city centre hotel. It primarily caters for business travellers attending event at RAI and bus tour groups (hence unusually high level of check-in and check-out activities at certain times of the day). As such it is quite remote from the downtown, so by all means consider this hotel if it is less expensive compared to downtown options, but know that you trade price for convenience. Obviously if your destination is RAI then it's one of your 2 best options (another one is Novotel across the street).

Having said this hotel is remote from downtown, it can be easily reached in case of need and there are 2 options - tram N4 which stops 100 meters from the hotel or the railway station Amsterdam RAI about 150m from the hotel.

Due to the railway station with direct link to the airport, travel from the airport is also not an issue. Taxi can cost you EUR 40-50 so unless there are 3 of you and you have luggage I don't really recommend taking taxi. Trains are fast, convenient and run quite often (Schedules and information can be had at Dutch Rail web site www.ns.nl/en).
There is a lot of restaurants (more than 20) around RAI complex that will be 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel, as well as supermarket (Albert Heijn - large Dutch supermarket chain) at approximately same distance. There is also a snack/coffee shop at the railway station.

Hotel has 14 floors with 1 priority club floor and 2 executive floors (top floors). Despite having executive floors, there is no executive lounge so there is really no incentive to pay for executive room as all you get is slightly better room with upgraded toiletries. Half of hotel windows offer at least partial view of the motorway and railway, so if you are light sleeper you may consider avoiding these. Also, on each floor there are some rooms with doors directly opposite elevator doors, and these may be noisy too. Each floor has an ice machine by the elevator.

I booked my 2 night stay through the American express travel agency using their published rate of EUR 99/night (not including breakfast), which is good value for money for summer season.

I arrived at the hotel at 8:30pm, my room was ready and check-in took only 2-3 minutes. I was told I am "upgraded" to the Priority club floor. I think the only difference from other floors is that it is high floor and there was a welcome gift in the room that consisted of 1 bottle of water (SPA), small bar of toblerone chocolate, and mints. Water was not replenished daily so it was one-off. There is a dedicated desk for IHG club elites. I was also given a voucher for a free drink at the bar (soft drink/beer or wine).

My room had a king size bed, working desk with the chair, easy chair by the window and journal table. There was a closet with the room safe inside it; TV and the minibar. Bathroom had bath with shower, toilet, wash basin with the mirror and the hair dryer. Toiletries were represented by universal shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispenser mounted by the bath and a piece of soap. The shower had flow limiter installed which always irritates me as it takes you twice time to shower and probably do not serve conservation needs anyway.

Overall the room was typical for the holiday inn chain. The only disappointment: windows. They are small and I never seen any windows dirtier than in this room. Last night of my stay it was also quite windy and windows were creaking, not very loud but noticeable.

Minibar prices are out of proportion for holiday inn with beers at ~EUR 4.50 and small bottle of wine of unknown label for 11.50. Spent some time locating bottle opener - apparently it is mounted on the wall in bathroom. If you need beer/water/soft drinks these can be purchased at the railway station and at the hotel shop at the ground floor for less price than minibar offers. Water bottles can also be refilled from the water cooler in the gym.

I was given internet vouchers (for free) due to my status so I don't know how much internet costs. It was reasonably fast and connection was reliable.

Gym is quite small - has 1 elliptic machines, 2 bikes, 2 treadmills, weight machine and some weights. Although treadmills were quite old, they accept Polar heart rate monitor. It was mostly empty and is free to use for hotel guests. A nice gesture - there are jogging maps on the wall of the gym (in the park nearby).

Hotel have one bar/restaurant named Vermont where breakfast and dinner is served. Breakfast price is outrageous at EUR 22, however spread is reasonable with cold cuts, vegetables, fried and scrambled eggs, bacon/sausages/hash browns, cereals, fruits and bakery. There was also an espresso/cappuccino machine for use and tea stand. Interesting option was "squeeze your own orange juice" - there was a table with 2 juicers and oranges ready to be cut and squeezed.
Dinner on the other hand, have reasonably priced menus and quality is good (I had their promotional item - a large goat cheese salad and a glass of wine for EUR 15). There was absolutely wonderful barman/waiter - an elderly gentlemen whose service skills and attitude were simply phenomenal. As I said earlier, there are a lot of options to eat in 10-15 minutes walking distance from the hotel.

Check-out was prompt and bill was accurate.

Bottom line - the stay was exactly what you would expect from average middle of the line holiday inn (it is not necessarily bad, value for money is there, but there is nothing in this hotel that will differentiate it from thousands of other holiday inns).

If anyone has any questions related to this hotel I will be glad to answer (if I know the answer) - just ask.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear AX9456,

Thank you very much for your review. Great that you took the time to share your experience with our future guests. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and we thank you as well for the tips you give us, we will definitely take this with us!
Regarding our fitness, new fitness equipment is ordered, which will arrive soon. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon and you can try out our new fitness room!

Thank you once again.