“Thanks to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, 1012 RC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #26 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Thanks to the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We had a great time staying at the Crowne Plaza City Centre, Amsterdam.Great position, close to the Central Station, shopping, attractions, etc. Beautiful suite,very clean modern Hotel. Great facilities and good food at the restaurant.
All the staff were exceptionally friendly, helpful (including the management) who made our stay very memorable. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Once again our thanks to you all. Roger and Carolyn Graham. London

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
CSGorter, Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback for the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre!
Your kind words have been shared with all our staff and they are looking forward welcoming you back at our hotel, to make your next stay just as memorable.

Kind regards,

On behalf of Aernout de Jong - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Seville, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

After arriving at the airport I took the train to the city center station in Amsterdam and once there, I was a two minute walk away from the hotel. The staff was helpful and polite during my check-in and upon arriving in my room I was pleasantly surprised by the decor, accessories, cleanliness, and beds. The room couldn't have been cleaner and the way it looked when I walked in was so calming that I did everything I could to try to keep it that way until my friend arrived so he could experience the same calm and welcoming feeling as I felt when I walked in. The beds were extremely comfortable, and it was so quiet at night so sleeping there was wonderful. The flat screen tv and updated decor and lighting throughout the room was very nice. The bathroom was great and the hair dryer, which usually ends up being a slow flowing tool that doubles my blow-drying time, was impressive and showed me that I definitely need to get a new one of my own. The location was perfect, right in the center and in front of metro lines, and the concierge was very helpful with recommending restaurants, attractions, and when to go and we were able to purchase tickets for some things from the concierge to avoid waiting in line at some of the museums.

The only thing that really disappointed me is the fact that the hotel charges for internet. At a hotel of this quality, internet should be included, no question. It is a necessity for most travelers, especially business travelers, and charging 7 euros per hour or 20 euros a day for access to the internet is ridiculous and it makes me feel like I am getting taken advantage of. It's like charging for towels or pillows or the television. Also, I wish they would've had some more outlets for charging my electronic items. My friend and I couldn't charge our computers, ipods and phones at the same time and had to remember to switch them after charging some for a while.

Other than the internet not being included, the hotel was great and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
CSGorter, Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we find it unfortunate that you were disappointed with the Internet charges. We are currently in the process on updating our outlets in offering multiple ways to charge your electronic items.

Your kind words have been sent to our complete team and we are looking forward to hopefully welcome you back soon!

Best regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed for three nights. Hotel was in a very good location. The hotel room was clean and the only problem we had was that the cleaners didn't seem to want to clean the cups after the first night and we had to wash the cups ourselves in the sink. We would say it was a little expensive and considering what we paid per night we think breakfast should have been included in the price. Would also have been good to have free wifi in the room But other than that we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review for the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre. We have passed on your kind words to our complete team who were very pleased reading your comments.

Your feedback given on our hotel will certainly be discussed within our team as we always strive to improve the level of service that we offer to our guests.

We are looking forward welcoming you back at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Best regards,

Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Very nice hotel in a central location. Close to the central train station and walking distance to many sights. Disappointed in the addtional high cost for internet access but there is a business center where you can use a computer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for city breaks a few times already, but having not been able to visit last year, I was stunned by the extent of the renovation which has happened when I arrived for my 4-night stay last week.

Whilst the old decor was more than acceptable, the look today could not be more far removed. I suspect that an African theme runs through some of the changes (specifically in the "Living Room" and my own room), but however it has been conceived, the result is stunning. There is without doubt a 21st century feel to this hotel now, and the quietness of the public areas stood out tremendously.

The old Dorrius restaurant is now known as the Queen of Holland Room, and I suspect opens for special functions only. The Dorrius Brasserie which was only open for breakfast and lunch is now renamed The New Dorrius, and all meals are served here. This is also where the bar is located.

The seating area outside the old bar is now a "Living Room" with a very large seating area with low tables in the middle, and an artificial-flame fire across the width of the area. There are also some seats around the perimiter. On the far wall is an extensive bookshelf, complete with a selection of books to read (many were in Dutch). The small gift shop by the main lifts which also sold daily newspapers is a casualty of the changes, and is no longer there.

My room was excellent. Large, and very well appointed. Crucially, and this is the fantastic attention to detail which this hotel pays it's guests, there is a range of international plug sockets available on the desk in the room (in my room at least), so that if you should forget your plug adapter, you need not worry when visiting this hotel.

I ate breakfast in the New Dorrius. This has not changed from the offering in the past which I am pleased about. The staff are as ever excellent, and once again I am pleased that some familiar faces still work there, given that staff turnover in many hotels is so high. It's clear that they are content to work in such a fabulous hotel, and their professionalism shines through.

The hotel is located just 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station, but if you are looking to use the public transport system in the city, you would be very wise to read up on the new ticketing system now in exclusive use on the trams and buses. The ov-Chipkaart is the equivalent to the London Oystercard, and if used correctly is good value. No other form of ticketing is valid on GVB or Connexxions buses, and in the not-too-distant future this will also be the only acceptable form of ticketing on main line NS trains as well.

There is a reasonable amount of construction work taking place around the station as there is a new North/South Metro line being built, but this does not affect the hotel in any way.

In summary, my stay was as usual fantastic. Lovely room, beautifully comfortable bed and pillows, quiet room, even though it looked out onto the main road (I could only barely hear the trams outside, but not once did I have any problem getting to sleep, nor did I get awakened by noise outside). The staff were great and the service thoroughly efficient and professional. I can't wait to get back again, but this time I will not leave it so long before doing so.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Really good hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights in October for a short city break and although hotel was busy with business travellers, did not feel out of place for leisure stay, and room was nice and quiet.
Very central - 5 mins walk from Centraal station and close to all the main attractions, and far enough away from Red Light District.
Lovely restaurant, quite expensive, but excellent food.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre for one night in October. We redeemed points for the stay. Upon checking in, we received an upgrade (due to our Priority Club points status). Hotel staff were friendly.

Our room was on the 5th floor, and had a king sized bed, a sitting area, and a Nespresso machine.

The hotel is really well located, just a few minutes walk to Central Station, and most sights are easily in walking distance because Amsterdam is such a compact city.

The only real complaint I have is that there is not free high-speed internet access available. There are however two computers in the business centre with internet access available for guest use.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple