“it is ok, not great but not bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, Amsterdam 1012 RC, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
atlanta
“it is ok, not great but not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

note: the hotel was just putting up the scaffolding to start rennovation when I left on Feb 15. It was scheduled to start on Feb 16, so I don't know how the noise will be, but it was quiet when I was there.

this one is all about location. 5 minute walk from the Centraal train station (go across the bridge by the taxi stand at the east end of the train station... the road you want is a couple blocks to the right of Victoria Hotel as you have your back to the train station) - which makes your transport from Schipol to the hotel a very easy 20 minute train ride for 4 euro. Leidseplein, Ann Frank house, Dam Square, etc. all walkable - 20 minutes or so. Dam Square is less. Rijksmuseum is walkable also but maybe a 30 minute stroll.

The room is much larger than you normally get in Europe. I had 2 double beds. the entire hotel is supposedly non-smoking now. Everything was relatively clean, but is defnitely not the fanciest Crowne Plaza I've stayed in. All in all, I would stay there again if I were on business. If I were on leisure, I'd get adventurous and try one of the smaller "no-brand" boutique hotels around the area. There are tons of them.

The internet wireless was expensive at 19.95 euros. The pub downstairs had friendly service, but beer and food selection was lacking.

The front counter staff was extremely friendly - but I also didn't have issues that I needed them to resolve. the one note I will make about dissatisfaction is with the Porter. I needed a cab that would accept credit cards because I was short on euros (i didn't know at the time that this was rare in Amsterdam). I specifically told him that. The cab he put me in didn't take credit cards, but he assured me that it did. I had quite an issue when I arrived at my destination with not enough money to pay in cash.

The workout room and the pool are both tiny. don't expect to swim laps in the pool - its only about 10 meters long.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

1,520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

I've stayed at Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam for app. 4 times traveling for business 9my company is headquartered in Amsterdam).

The overall experience was above average for Amsterdam. Please bear in mind that most hotels in center of Amsterdam do have small rooms. CP is created by joining several old traditional dutch buildings together so at times it can be very hard to carry your luggage through narrow corridors going up and down.

The hotel benefits from all standard CP: soundproof rooms, great pillows, extensive TV channels (including pay tv), very nice breakfast.

The location is superb. You can walk from Centraal Station (5 minutes walk) and another 5 minutes will take you to Dam. So no need for taxis here.

All in one I will return here for sure.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

I like travelling and I have spent a lot of time in hotels due mostly to business and this hotel by far has been the worse of all.
The hotel in general was not that bad location wise, rooms were kind of clean, however it does need a bit of renovation, carpets are old...
I stayed at this hotel with my partner and a friend and all 3 of us just disliked very much the service of this hotel, the reception lady was rude, unhelpful and made us feel unwelcome.
I am member of the priority club and decided to stay at this hotel because i used only book hotel through this chain, but after that experience i decided to look around for other choices.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — staff very rude (maybe not everyone is rude but our experience was just terrible)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights for business. Rate around 170 eur / night with breakfast is ok for **** -hotel, but definately not a bargain. Breakfast was ok, rooms were fine, but nothing special. Service was excellent.

Additional services were a little bit expensive: valet parking 40 eur / night, meeting room of 8 prs 350 eur / day. Use of wide-screen 250 eur add on to meeting room price was a laugh.

And as always, the reception had the info that I took snacks from the minibar, which I didn't. Was corrected, but I still wonder how come it is almost always the same thing. Someone has a truck load of crackers and soda somewhere :)

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Expensive additional services
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I went to the hotel twice in June 2008 and stayed for 1 night each time. I absolutely liked the location of the hotel, which was simply to reach by car when coming after a whole day trip. On the other hand the main trainstation with connection to the Schiphol airport is also just around the corner. Moreover - I was there during the time of EURO 2008 and the games of the Dutch team and I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere of all people in the centre. We loved the style of the hotel and as far I heard all rooms should be refurbished in this year so then it will be definitely even better! Rooms were big enough and the soundproof was good so that nothing was heard however the rooms was towards the main street. Breakfast - simply delicious. I can only recommend this hotel - everything is close and simple.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not enough time to discover the whole surrounding
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

I have just returned from a fantastic weekend away for my husbands 50th Birthday. I went with my three daughters aged 22,19,17. The eldest daughter goes to Amsterdam quite a lot and she said that the plaza has been the best hotel by far. We had two queen size room on the first floor with connecting doors. The rooms were clean and the bedding looked brand new. We also had bathrobes and slipper to use for our stay. The hotel also left Complementary chocolate. We made use of the gym, swimming pool and Sauna which we near enough had to ourselves. The hotel supplied all towels for use in the sauna and around the pool. I had trouble with the safe on the first night and security came up straight away and sorted it out. I can not comment on the food in the restaurant because we did not eat in the hotel. We knew the hotel food was quiet expensive so we ate out. The staff were very friendly and polite. I can not fault the rooms or staff in anyway. I would definitely use this hotel again and I would most certainly recommend it.

Stayed December 2008
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Our booking was part of a Eurostar package, and we spent 3 nights at this Hotel. The room was OK with queen size bed and ensuite. What we liked the most about this hotel was the central location. Moments from Centraal Station, it made navigating our way from tourist venue to tourist venue throughout Amsterdam, very easy.

The staff were polite and friendly, the room clean and well appointed. We didn't have any meals at this hotel as we found it rather expensive; the location offers hundreds of small eateries/restaurants within walking distance however.

The most off-putting factor about this hotel is the cost. By the time we'd arrived in Amsterdam we'd travelled through part of Europe and collected a pile of dirty laundry. The hotel offers to clean your laundry at a starting rate of 3 Euro for a pair of boxers. Fortunately we found a laundrette where we managed to clean the whole lot for 3 Euro! Breakfast is 22 Euro, but most disappointing was the "city tax" of 15 Euro per night that we discovered on checking out!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!