“Fine hotel--except the rates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, 1012 RC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #24 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Walnut Creek, California
“Fine hotel--except the rates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

I stayed here for two nights pre-cruise, fortunately using Priority Club points, since I wouldn't have wanted to pay the $400/night asking price! Perhaps I got a better room than some other reviewers due to being a Platinum member, but our room was roomy for a hotel in a major European city center. It was also surprisingly quiet (both with respect to within the hotel noise and outside noise), modern, and comfortable. I can't imagine that many people would pay the outrageous 20 Euro/day internet fee, but those with access to the Priority Club lounge get to use its computers for free. The breakfasts there are also excellent, as are the views (nicer than the views from any of the rooms).
The staff were always very polite and accommodating. The gym was well-kept, although no pool. I really enjoyed my stay, but can't imagine paying the asking price. I would recommend the place if you have enough Priority Club points, or if you can get a good deal on the place.

• Liked — Quiet, modern, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Absurd 20 Euro/day internet fee
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I made a reservation at this hotel following the reviews posted on this site. I don't know if it is hotel staff writing reviews of this hotel. But, this hotel is an absolutely terrible hotel. I urge you not to stay here. My initial reservation was for a 4 night stay. I only ended up staying 2 nights, because this hotel is so poor.

Check in at the hotel was very smooth. The front desk staff was very courteous. I go to my room. Upon walking in, the room smelled musty and gave me the impression it had not been opened up in some time. Amsterdam is a very humid city. So, the staff should take care to leave the fan on in the room.

The hotel room was small. But, many hotel rooms within Amsterdam are. So, this was not a big issue for me. I did notice that the furniture was very old. The bed was low to the ground. The bed comforter was also very old. I knew immediately that I would not be sleeping under that bed comforter.

I proceed to plug in my laptop. There is only one available power outlet in the room. Five minutes after plugging in my laptop, the outlet is no longer charging my laptop. I disconnect the plug and reconnect. Still no power. I ended up having to reach behind the TV to use the power strip, which had one available power outlet.

I needed to use the Internet to check e-mail. Upon signing on, I was informed by the sign-on page that 24 hours of Internet use would be $19.95 Euro. I immediately go to the front desk and ask for an explanation of this price. The front desk person told me that he does not set the pricing. I told him that I thought the pricing was excessive for Internet usage. He looked at my room info in the system and told me that I'm eligible for a 20% discount because I'm a Priority Club member. That bit of info still didn't make me feel any better. The desk person then said that I can use the Internet cafe around the corner if I wanted to cheaper Internet. I glare at him for a few seconds and walk away.

I go to the bathroom within the room. Immediately upon waliking in I see that the bathroom is in need of an update as well. Fine, no problem. I look at the floors. The floor tile is full of black spots. There is brown mildew in the corner nearest the bathtub. The bathtub and shower are no better. The bath tile was not very clean either. I thought to myself "disgusting". I did everything I could to keep my time in the bathroom brief.

Once in bed, I could tell the bed was infested with something. My skin kept itching. So, I ended up putting on the included bathrobe and slept in a small corner of the bed for the entire night.

The next morning I ask what the hotel's policy is on checking out early. I was told I had to pay them 100 Euro if I did not give them 24 hours advance notice. I went back to my room and did a search for hotels nearby. Once I found one I wasted no time letting the front desk know I would be checking out the next day.

That was the worst two nights in a hotel of any hotel I've ever stayed. Do not stay at this hotel. There are much better options nearby for cheaper, that will offer better amenities.

• Liked — Near Centraal Station
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

What a location! just across the road + one block back from the main station... - very central, very easy to get anywhere.
The hotel staff are friendly and helpful.... I was upgraded but if this was an upgrade I would not like to see a standard room.

The room I got was tired, (that's putting it nicely). It was not large or luxurious, both things I associate with this chain. The windows did not open and the a/c was noisy.... no real reason for the windows not opening that I could see, they were just fitted that way around 20 years ago - I was only on the 3rd floor looking out into a court-yard.

The inhouse restaurant was excellent, reception was good.... it just needs loads spent on the bedooms - especially for the rates they charge.

• Liked — The location, restaurant and staff attidude
  • Disliked — The drab, boring out dated bedrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
LONDON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I first stayed in the hotel about 9 years ago on a business trip and it was great back then. My partner and I were planning a vacation weekend this past holiday weekend. We found the Crowne Plaza City Centre available. The rate was around €178 per night for a double.

On the plus side the reception staff were really helpful. Very attentive.

I am sure the rooms have not been refurbished in a long while. The bed was very low and soft and the decor generally quite dark. The bathroom is the real low point. The tiles need re-grouting or least cleaning up so the mould does not show. The bathroom is also very tiny and difficult to squeeze in to use the toilet with your knees pressing against the side of the bath.

Cleanliness OK. Location is the real selling point. The rooms need a face lift.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coventry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

Having read some of the other reviews after booking this hotel I was a bit apprehensive for our stay. However we had a great time and found the hotel ideal for what we wanted. Our room was plenty big enough for the two of us. There was also plenty of storage space for clothes etc. The bathroom was a bit of a squeeze but again fine for what we needed. The location of the hotel was spot on. We were in walking distance of all the attractions & the station. We booked a canal cruise whilst we were there. It cost us 11 euros each for an hour cruise. This was a great way to see Amsterdam and once the cruise had finished we headed back to a lovely canal cafe we had spotted whilst on the cruise and had lunch / wine. We did ventured into the Red Light District. It was a real eye opener and to be honest we had a bit of a laugh. We sat in the Old Sailor pub and people watched and got talking to lots of people. Saturday night the weather was bad. Heavy rain. So we went back to our hotel and ate in the bar. The service was excellent. The barman kept checking that the music wasn't too loud and he provided us with a bowl of nibbles before our food arrived. When we checked out there was a mini bottle of gin on our bill. However it turns out that if things are moved in the mini bar this registers on your bill. The only things we had from the mini bar were the bottles of coke and at 7 euros each it was the most expensive coke I've ever drank! We got the train back to the airport which took about 10 mins. The station was minutes from the hotel and it is much cheaper to catch a train than grab a taxi which is what we found out!! All in all a great weekend was had by us both and we are now thinking of our next city break.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — prices in the mini bar
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband, 18 month old son and I stayed here for 2 nights in July. We would consider staying here again, if unable to find a better-value property.

Given our short time in the city and young child, our priority was to be in a location that allowed us to sightsee on foot/stroller and quickly return if we needed naps. The location was excellent for this. It is a 10 minute walk from the Centraal Station, so we were easily and affordably able to take a train from the Airport. It is also surrounded by restaurants, shops and small grocery markets. We had no problems finding a place to eat or pick up odds and ends. A 15-20 minute walk in any direction allowed us to see tons of attractions. A possible downside on the location for those families with kids is that it is quite close to the Red Light District which wasn't a problem as our son is so young, but might give rise to interesting questions and conversations if he was older...

The facility itself proved to be less than we expected. Given the price we paid and the reputation of the Crowne Plaza (and stays in CP's in other locations), we were underwhelmed by the room's dated furniture and decor. The beds were comfortable however and the room appeared clean.

One other note about the room--the in-room mini-fridge operates on a system that charges you for each stock item removed (we only found those instructions on the inside of the fridge). So, even though you don't consume a can of Coke, just moving it to squeeze a botte of milk in will add the cost of the Coke to your bill. We were presented with a list of such costs, but folks at the desk were obliging in removing the charges when we explained that we had not consumed any items.

• Liked — Convenient location for walking, restaurants and shops. Efficient staff.
  • Disliked — Dated room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I have stayed here several times and find it an excellent choice for Amsterdam, especially if you want to stay close to the activities around the station.Staff is very good and No Smoking policy is strictly enforced, you m,ust stand outside to smoke.
Rooms are above average, hotel is very clean and ice is available on each floor,,,something not found in many hotels in Amsterdam. Prioce is high but then in this city, anything not expensive is not of very good quality.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — high price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!