“Great staff and location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, 1012 RC Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #25 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sandefjord, Norway
“Great staff and location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Me and my teenage daughter spent one night at the Crown Plaza at a pre-Christmas trip to Amsterdam.
The hotel is a short walk from the Central Station, and easy to find.
We arrived at around 9 am, and did not expect to be able to check in, but just wanted to leave our luggage in storage. The check-in staff, however, was very welcoming and they also acknowledged my IHG membership, and offered us to check in to the room. Great!
First thing on the program was to visit Anne Franks House, and we got good directions explained from the check-in staff.

The room had a good size, although the bathroom was a bit small. Very clean. The bed was very comfortable, and there were nice soaps in the bathroom. We could hear some noise during the day from the trams, but it was very quiet at night, we slept well.

It was a bit confusing to find the room, as on of the lifts was broken, so we had to walk a little trough the corridors, and it was easy to take a wrong turn, however we got the hang of it in the end.

The hotel was very nicely decorated for Christmas, and had a nice lobby/ bar area with fire place.

Internet was complimentary, I guess it is for all IHG members.

Breakfast was very good with different hot and cold dishes. They had pancakes, and you can order eggs cooked the way you like. Coffee was served at the table. I believe I also saw a bottle of CAVA on the breakfast bar :-)

The check out lady was just as nice and helpful as the gentleman who checked us in. She told me (without me asking) the time for the Airport train and also which platform we should go to.

All in all, a very pleasant experience, and I guess there chance is very big that I will stay at this hotel if i ever visit Amsterdam again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CPamsterdam, Food & Beverage Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, January 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you were able to check in at 9am in the morning. We always do our utbest to provide you with a room as soon as possible upon arrival and otherwise provide alternatives to make sure you can fresh up, store your luggage with us, and can already start exploring the city of Amsterdam!

It is also a pleasure to read that you enrolled for our IHG Rewards Club Membership and already experienced several benefits of this program as complimentary WiFi. Furthermore it is great to read that you enjoyed having breakfast in our New Dorrius Restaurant. As you mention this buffet offers you a variety of hot and cold dishes and you can even start your day with a glass of Cava indeed!

Once again thank you for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to read that you will choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre when visiting the city of Amsterdam again. We are already looking forward welcoming you back one day.

Jaap Roomeijer
F&B Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Kfar Saba, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza City Centre in Amsterdam. The hotel is ideally located near to the Central Station and is well connected by tram, bus and metro to all major tourist sites. The hotel is ultra-modern and comfortable with plush furnishings and linens. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was great and included all types of dishes made to order including pancakes and poached eggs done perfectly!
We strongly recommend this hotel for your next stay in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We had an upgraded superior room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. As you mention it is close to the central railway station as well as the tram stop and many of Amsterdam’s highlights!

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked our modern and comfortable rooms. Furthermore it is wonderful to read that all the staff you encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. It is always a pleasure to read when staff is delivering the service they do.

Thank you for recommending the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre and we are looking forward to welcoming you back during one of your future visits to the city!

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had a a stay over the weekend (Fri-Mon) in December 2013 and it was very comfortable to be in the center close to all attraction and having a tram stop in the street and being just 1 street behind Dan and 5 minutes from Dam Square. With this hotel you are close to all main shopping streets and the main attractions. You are also very close to the central station which could save a lot of money coming/going to the airport.
The room I got (305, which should be an upgraded one) was nice and comfortable, with a real Espresso machine !.The bathroom is a bit small but still nice. In general I liked the fact that the hotel is relatively new. The breakfast is good (not a lot of variety, just basic things) and can keep you for few hours. The gym is how ever very small and not so friendly. No pool. Getting to your room could be a bit confusing as the corridor have a lots of turning.
The dining room have a windows to the shopping street behind which is nice and the lobby has a fireplace which is nice to sit if the rain comes.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can have nice view of the unique building but could have some noise fro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
CPamsterdam, Housekeeping Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. The central railway station is located within 5 minutes from the hotel. The public transport also stops right in front of the hotel and will take you to all the highlights of Amsterdam. Our concierge will be happy to assist you by giving advice what the best places are to visit in Amsterdam and of course what the best restaurants are to visit while you are here.

Furthermore it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Club Rooms. There rooms have indeed extra facilities as an Nespresso machine and Rituals bath amenites available in the room.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is hoping to having the pleasure of welcoming you back one day!

Marian Jones
Housekeeping Executive
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

What a terrific team at this hotel! With a convenient location steps away from the Centraal Station, I am always warmly welcomed back by the staff who go out of their way to help me and make recommendations. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable and the set up perfect for a business trip. If you can upgrade to the lounge, enjoy the peaceful atmosphere to get work done, have breakfast, delightful hot and cold savouries. The concierge provides amazing information and can map out a run for you or find some different restaurants to try. Internet speed is good, and the restaurant (Dorrius)stands on it own legs with the service and food to match. After a 5 day business trip, the staff thanked me individually and genuinely wished me a safe trip home for the holidays.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked our clean and comfortable rooms. It is also wonderful to read that all the staff you encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. It is always a pleasure to read when staff is delivering the service they do.

Furthremore it is great to read that you enjoyed having breakfast in our New-Dorrius restaurant. Our New Dorrius Restaurant and bar provides you with a sumptuous breakfast that keeps you going all day.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is hoping to welcome you back during one of your future business trips to the city of Amsterdam!

Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Great location, 7 minute walk from the central station, and nice walk to many of Amsterdam's main city attractions. Plenty of restaurants nearby, and many shops on the streets behind the hotel. If you cross the main street in front of the hotel, you can go towards a very nice neighborhood area with cafes and bakeries frequented by the locals, a weekend market and many beautiful, charming old houses.
Room was clean, well maintained and comfortable. The receptionists and concierge were courteous, efficient and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CPamsterdam, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our modern and comfortable rooms.
I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient as it is located close the several public transport stops and within walking distance of many highlights which Amsterdam has to offer!

It is also wonderful to read that all the staff you encountered were courteous, efficient and helpful. It is always a pleasure to read when staff is delivering the service they do.

We hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam!

Aernout de Jong
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

There should be a lot to like here - and others have covered the positives. I've had IHG Platinum membership for many years, and have generally been treated rather well by them. Unfortunately, our own experience (staying on 17th December 2013) was remarkably awful, thanks to the night manager, Mr. Caesar.

At approximately 11.30pm on the 17th, Mr. [--] banged on the door of our room, and, in an extremely rude and abrupt manner, told us 'Keep the noise down.' The TV was not on, our voices were not raised, so I was frankly perplexed by this. We were working, and having a normal conversation. We'd had nothing stronger than tea (mild, for Amsterdam, I know). Hardly a den of vice, by local standards.....I was particularly surprised that he had ignored a clearly posted Do Not Disturb sign - which he admitted he had seen.

I went down to the front desk to express my concerns to Mr. [--] a few minutes later. What was an unfortunate situation turned frankly farcical and outrageous. Mr. [--] refused repeatedly to answer the questions I put to him. I stay in hotels for over half of the year - and have never come across a property which prohibited talking, in the privacy of one's own room.

I therefore asked him why this matter had been raised in the way it had. Why had he not telephoned, instead of banging on the door as if this was a cheap hostel? He initially claimed that he had called our room. This was simply untrue - no call was made, and the hotel logs would confirm that if management wished to check.

It may well be, though Mr. [--] never mentioned it, that the connecting door to our room does allow a lot of noise to travel - but again, reasonable allowances have to be made by all guests. I asked Mr. [--] to put his account of matters in writing, to explain why he had acted the way he did. He refused, saying 'I'm not going to put anything in writing.'

I then asked him whether or not he had heard television noise. He refused to answer three times, then said that he had not.

I asked him whether he had heard raised voices. He refused to answer. He said he had heard noise from our room from around the corner. I asked him how he could tell, from around the corner, which room this noise was coming from. He refused to answer.

I then asked him again whether he had heard raised voices - or anything above a normal conversation. He said: 'I'm not going to answer that'.

I again asked him what was the basis for his concern - and for disturbing paying guests. He said 'Talk to my GM, I'm finished'. I asked him why he was refusing to explain his actions. He simply said, 'We're finished, sir'.

I didn't raise my voice, use any inappropriate language, or do anything other than ask for a reasonable explanation of Mr. [--] actions. Mr. [--] was, by turns, aggressive, evasive, and outrageously rude.

So you need to ask yourself this: when guests are having a conversation in a room, without music, television, shouting or anything of that description, do you feel that it is appropriate for a hotel manager to bang on the door and treat them with so little courtesy? Do you feel that it is appropriate for a hotel manager to lie to a guest (claiming to have called my room when he did not)? Do you feel that it is appropriate for a hotel manager to consistently refuse to answer basic and reasonable questions about his actions? Do you believe that it is appropriate for a hotel manager to simply say 'We're finished, sir', to a guest?

If you think that's ok, stay here. Otherwise, avoid, avoid, avoid. The Doubletree by the main station is pretty good. The Amstel is lovely. Please don't give these guys your business until they get a new night manager.

Room Tip: Avoid the connecting rooms....
Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Richardson,

I am sorry to read your comment in which you write that your recent stay was not to your full satisfaction. The issue you describe was already personally discussed with you during your stay in our hotel and a satisfactory solution, in which you agreed, was offered. For this reason you can imagine that I am rather surprised to read your negative review on Tripadvisor.

Privacy is of paramount importance at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre and we want all guests to enjoy their stay to the fullest. We appreciate your feedback however the information you provide in your review was already personally discussed with you.
If you could provide me with some more details for the reason of this comment, as there still might be something you would like to discuss with me, I would like to get in touch with you personally. Please be so kind to contact me via Maurice.janssen@ihg.com.

I remain at your disposal should you need any assistance in the future.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights. Its really a walking distance from the central station. The staff were friendly and great to guide us around, The room was spacious and very comfortable, with normal sized bathroom...Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, December 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre for your 2-day city trip. I agree with you in saying that the location is very convenient. As you mention the Central Railway station is within walking distance as well as many of the highlights which Amsterdam has to offer as for instance the Anne Frank house, the Jordaan area and the Red Light District.

It is a great pleasure to read that you will definitely return to our property. The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre team is already looking forward to welcoming you back!

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!