“Excellent, top-end hotel in great location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 5, 1012 RC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Bedfordshire
“Excellent, top-end hotel in great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Having stayed in Amsterdam several times before in hotels ranging from 1 – 5 star, I can honestly say that this is my favourite hotel in the city and would highly recommend it to anyone.

I booked the hotel for myself and 3 friends for a ‘boys’ weekend away, to celebrate a fairly significant birthday. We wanted to stay in a good value, mid-range hotel, in a central location. However, what we got far exceeded our expectations and I would argue that this was more top-end than mid-range, but at a very competitive price – in fact it worked out less than the nearby 3* Ibis (because we got an early booking discount).

On arrival (fairly late on the Friday), we were all checked in very promptly by the friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has obviously been refurbished fairly recently, as the décor was very trendy – all the way from reception to the guest bedrooms. I asked for a quiet room and was given an absolutely top class room up in the 5th floor – at the end of a corridor in the hotel’s ‘quiet’ zone. I really was impressed by the décor and comfort of my room and was never disturbed throughout my stay. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had everything that you could have ever wanted and there were even some British style plug sockets which saved the day, as I forgot my adaptor. My room had a balcony with table and chairs that had views out over the roof-tops (although based on the shape of the building, I am guessing that not many of the other rooms had this).
All of the other guys in our group were equally impressed by the rooms and they were on different floors in different areas of the hotel, so the quality seemed to be fairly consistent.

In terms of location, we were minutes away from the Central station where most people would arrive – had they flown into the airport and taken the train to the city. Also the hotel is minutes away from Dam Square, very close to one of the major shopping streets and surrounded by restaurants and café’s which are ideal for breakfast, etc.

We didn’t eat in the hotel, but did use the bar on Saturday afternoon where we received great service and benefitted from a happy hour (in fact for a major hotel, in a major city I didn’t think that the standard drink prices were too bad).

The only minor negatives than I can think of, were the price of breakfast (around 25Euro’s), which compared to some of the options in nearby café’s was fairly pricey (although is probably consistent with other similar rated hotels). Also, unless I am mistaken, there didn’t seem to be any free WIFI in the rooms. From the outside, the hotel looks a bit drab, however that is soon forgotten once you get inside.

Just for reference there are some great café’s nearby selling a decent sized breakfast for around 6-7Euros. A taxi from the airport costs around 50Euros, so if there are 4 or more of you, this isn’t too bad – although the train is still cheaper and only takes 18 minutes. Don’t bother getting a taxi from the station – the hotel really is just across the road!

In summary – I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone. It was only slightly more expensive than some of the mid-range hotel chains, but is significantly better. Having previously stayed at the Marriot Renaissance (which is considerably more expensive), I can honestly say that the Crowne Plaza, represents much better value and is arguably as good, if not better.

Room Tip: A room in the 'quiet zone'
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your extensive comment on Tripadvisor.

As you mention the hotel was renovated and refurbished in 2009. It is good to hear that you noticed this and was after your taste.

Indeed, in the hotel we offer a special ‘Quiet zone’ all these rooms are located in quiet sections of our hotel mostly inside looking rooms and located on higher floors. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the benefit of this quiet zone.

However I am sorry to hear that you find the breakfast rather pricey. The breakfast is an American full breakfast buffet served from 06:30 -11:00 and in the weekend until 11:30.

I agree with you in saying that the location is very convenient. The hotel is located within walking distance of the central railway station, dam square, the red light district and many more of Amsterdam’s highlights.

It is exiting to read that you mention that you would stay with us again and that you definitely recommend it. The Crowne Plaza City Centre team is looking forward to welcome you back!

1,643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
North Lincolnshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We chose the Crowne Plaza to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday and elected to try the Club rooms. On our previous visit, we stayed in a standard double room but by booking early, we managed to secure the Club room for not too much extra.
The first thing we noticed was the refurbishment, the reception area looked very fresh. There were three couples in our group and we were all checked in very quickly and with the utmost attention. One lady then took us round to see the Club Lounge and the restaurant, the seating area etc.
Despite arriving early, our rooms were ready and we were even invited to have some breakfast in the Club Lounge or the main restaurant. The selection was extensive; cereals, cheeses, bread, yoghurts, fruit, juices, coffee, teas and a very good hot food selection.
Our friends had ordered some flowers for my wife and these were in the room awaiting our arrival. The hotel staff did not stop there though, when we arrived back late afternoon, there was a selection of cakes, a bottle of wine and a card waiting for my wife. This was totally unexpected but extremely thoughtful. I certainly did not expect a chain hotel to make this effort and provide such a personal touch.
Our room was excellent; large, quiet, spotless, large bathroom with all the amenities, flat screen TV, coffee maker etc. There was nothing more we could have wanted.
The Club Lounge provides a quiet space to relax, with tea, coffee, wine, juices, soft drinks, beer etc all available, plus a selection of biscuits, savoury snacks, cakes, nuts, fruit and more. Internet and printing facilities were also free to use, with free WiFi in the room too.
We were offered a free late check out for all rooms (without asking) and even given a Club Lounge card to use until we left at 4 o'clock.
This was by far one of the finest stays at a hotel that we have ever had. The facilities alone would have been enough but the extra effort made by all the staff to make the stay a memorable one was above and beyond anything we could have ever expected or wanted.
Our thanks go to all the staff and the management for making this a trip to remember for a very long time.
We know where we'll be staying the next time we go.

Room Tip: Book early, pay in advance and go for the Club Rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

It is exiting to read that you choose our hotel to celebrate your wife’s 40th birthday in!

It is a pleasure to read that we were able to assist you with an early check in despite you arrived before the actual check-in time. We will always do our out best to be flexible with this and provide you with your requested room as soon as available. It is wonderful to read that you noticed the changes after the renovation which took place in 2009.

It is also wonderful to find that you truly enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Our New Dorrius Restaurant and bar provides you indeed with a sumptuous breakfast that keeps you going all day.

Our Club Rooms come indeed with Club Lounge access. Club guests enjoy browsing complimentary newspapers over breakfast, and return to use complimentary high speed internet and enjoy complimentary snacks and drinks until 11 pm.

The Crowne Plaza City Centre team is looking forward to welcome you back!

carlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel was brilliant, it only has one fault the internet and channels very expensive however everything else makes up for it.

I never slept as good in my own bed ..it was so comfortable...every time i sat on the bed i was drifting off..... could not hear any noise from outside what so ever.. they have this pillow spray which is wonderful.. the service is great especially the room service food yummy.. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant ..

the location is brilliant near enough to the train station and easily get to dam square .. loads of shops and restaurants beside it.. there is a coffee-shop across the road called resin (not seedy)
all coffee shops seemed to be good bar the grasshopper,, its not my scene but whilst in Amsterdam ha

all in all this hotel catered for any need anyone could have ..... i miss the comfort of their bed
I LOVE THIS HOTEL

Room Tip: stayed in 445..4th floor... there are nicer rooms but nothing wrong with this one would gladly stay...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comment with the travel community.

It is exiting to read that you classify our hotel is being brilliant.

It is wonderful to read that you were able to have a good sleep in our hotel and that the aroma therapy package was able to assist you with this. This package includes two mini solutions for a better night’s sleep. One is named ‘ breath in’ ; this eucalyptus spray clears the head and helps you breathe more easily with a blend of Frankincense. The other one is the deep calm pillow spray; this a fusion of calming oils to relax and calm including lavender, Vetivert and Camomile.

However I am sorry to read that you find the internet and channels expensive. We are currently looking into options for offering Internet at a different price point in the near future. The usage of television channels is always free of charge.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre is located within walking distance from the Central Railway station and within walking distance of Amsterdam’s main highlights and many nice restaurants and bars.

The Crowne Plaza City Centre team is definitely hoping to welcome you back one day.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from the crowne plaza and cannot rate the hotel and the staff in particular such as Gerrado and his team high enough. Ok so we paid and you expect nice hotel and good service but you dont always get it. But you do get it at the crowne and in spades! Crowne plaza obviously have a fantastic ethos and their staff demonstrate this. I just hope crowne plaza look after their staff as well as their staff look after their guests! I took my partner to Amsterdam for his birthday and we were upgraded to club room with wine and cake which was lovely! The hotel is in fairly central location right near the station and the facilities and cleanliness are excellent. I would highly recommend staying here if you visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2013
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write you extensive comment and for sharing this with the travel community.

It is wonderful to read that you choose the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre to celebrate your husband’s birthday in. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciated the free upgrade that was given to you as well as the wine and the cake that were placed in your room.

Indeed as you mention the hotel has a very convenient location. The hotel is located within walking distance of the central railway station and also most of Amsterdam’s main highlights are within reach.

It is exiting to read that you would highly recommend staying in our hotel.
The Crowne Plaza City Centre team is hoping to welcome you back.

Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I lived in Amsterdam for a few months many years ago and now returning for a city trip with a friend who never visited the city.
Below some key points on the hotel and some useful tips based upon my experience.
Hope these are useful to you :)

Hotel Location:
- 3 minute walk from Amsterdam central station, very handy!
- City center, Jordaan area, walks around the canals can all be done on foot, no need really for a travel pass. Amsterdam center is like a half dart board and the hotel is almost in the bulls eye.

Rooms:
- Spacious, clean and stylish with very comfy bed. I was upgraded to a quiet club room that had a seating area and nice flat screen TV
- Handy media hub with USB ports for charging phones
- Complimentary water and some nice chocolates upon arrival
- Wifi available at 19 Euro, free if you are platinum member
- Good bathroom with decent blow dryer, amenities and good shower in bath

Bar/ Lounge area:
- Very nice & comfy lounge style seating downstairs with a fireplace. We had a few drinks here.
- Bar & restaurant area where they serve breakfast OK, but didn't invite me to have breakfast in the hotel necessarily
- I didn't visit the VIP lounge

Platinum members & benefits:
- Very friendly staff and special welcome and dedicated check in
- I got an upgraded to a Club room
- Free wifi (click accept for the charge but it will not be on your bill)
- Free welcome drinks from the bar
- No access to VIP lounge, unfortunately
- Late checkout

Service:
- I already mentioned the very professional and friendly check-in
- The free drinks were valid for house wine, but as I don't like Merlot they served another nice red :)
- Concierge very helpful for booking restaurants
- All in all, compliments for the excellent customer service!

Food:
- I cannot comment on this as we wanted to eat outside. Breakfast was 25 euro per person

A few tips around on the Amsterdam visit from my experience:
Food:
- You will have to try a real Indonesian rijst tafel; outside Indonesia you can find the best Indonesian food in the Netherlands (me being half Dutch half Indonesian :). A rijst tafel consists of many small dishes that fill up your table served with .. rice. We wanted to go to Blauw restaurant but that was fully booked. We booked a small place called Sumpurna near the Bloemenmarkt in the end which wasn't bad at all but probably there are more options, worth checking out in advance.
- Try an eetcafe in the Jordaan area. Nice informal cafe style setting where you can have a meal for a decent price. We went to De Reiger which is one of the oldest eetcafes in de Jordaan and the food was above expectation.

To do:
- I mentioned that you don't really need a public transport pass as everything is in walking distance. The great location of this hotel also helps.

If I go back for a city trip again, especially with people that are new to the city, I would book a 3 night stay so you have 2,5 day for visiting the city. One day to see museums using the Hop on Hop off canal boats. This way you see the city from the water and the longest walks are to the museums, perfect mix.

The rest of the time just to walk around and discover the city on foot.

- Wander around in the Jordaan area which is less touristy and a bit closer to the real Amsterdam. We had a nice breakfast at Picnic on the Lindengracht one day here, strolled along the small shops and checked out the weekly Saturday market. From the Jordaan, zig zag between the Prinsen Gracht and the Singel through the Negen Straatjes (the nine streets) direction South.

- Albert Cuyp Markt is fun visiting and you can plan your lunch here:)
Dutch snack time at the market: Raw Haring, Kibbeling (fried fish pieces), Poffertjes (mini pancakes), Fresh stroop wafels, Cheese etc etc yummy.

So just a few highlights of the many things this town has to offer...
There are also many cultural and other events going on so check what is going on before you go.

All in all conclusion.
The hotel is good and I would come back again.
Plus Amsterdam is perfect for a city trip! next time I probably book during the week, to blend in more in daily life. (And many small interesting shops are closed on Sunday's...)

Again I hope you find this information useful to you:)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

It is a pleasure to read that you write that the service of out staff was very professional, friendly and were able to provide you with good restaurant recommendations. It is always good to hear that staff is delivering the service they do.

Indeed as you mention as a Platinum Priority Club member you do experience various benefits in our hotel. A few of these are for instance; Complimentary wireless internet, complimentary drink voucher for two persons, 25% discount on all telephone calls made in the room, 50% discount on breakfast served in our New Dorrius restaurant, 25% discount no valet parking, 25 % discount on lunch, dinner and drinks for two in our New Dorrius restaurant and bar and Daily newspaper delivered to the room.

It is wonderful to see that you visited all main highlights of the city and that you enjoyed visiting the city of Amsterdam

It is exiting that you mention that you will return to our hotel, the Crowne Plaza City Centre team is looking forward to welcome you back.

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have just stayed here for two nights after coming off a long haul. I arrived a couple of hours prior to the check in time and found the staff very welcoming and happy to check in to my room early. Was also offered free Internet at check in which was great. My booking request for a 'quiet room if possible' was met and the room was in a designated Quiet Zone. This was amazing - if you want quiet this is the hotel to book. The room was nicely equipped and renovated to a four star standard. The location was close to the main train station and easy walking to Dam Square and surrounds so it made it easy to come and go. Being on my own I ate at the restaurant which was modern dutch food to a very good standard. I would recommend the monthly special of a set three course menu for Eu29.50 which was good value. Breakfast though was expensive at Eu25.00 and the coffee not great which was disappointing in a city with otherwise good coffee. I would recommend, nice hotel

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is a pleasure to read that we were able to assist you with your early check in. We will always do our out best to provide you with a room as soon as possible even before the actual check-in time.

Indeed as you mention our hotel has a special Quiet zone with rooms located on higher floors and away from the street side. I am happy to read that this room was to your liking.

Our New-Dorrius restaurant and bars offers a Dutch a-la-carte menu and a changing monthly menu for 29,50 Euro indeed. It is a pleasure to read that the menu was of good value according to you. However I am sorry to read that you find the breakfast expensive. The breakfast is served in buffet set-up with an extensive choice of food and beverage selections. When you pre-book the breakfast package the price of this will be 19,- Euro per day per person.

It is a pleasure to read that you would recommend our hotel.
The Crowne Plaza City Centre team is hoping to welcome you back.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre? Share your experiences!