“Nice hotel overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice hotel overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2004

I booked the CP American for a surprise birthday trip for my boyfriend.
I booked a standard double from the hotels own website.

The room was slightly on the small side, but was high up and had a private balcony overlooking the canal. The room was clean and had some nice extras, such as bathrobes, free bottled water and biscuits. The decor was a bit outdated, but ok.

The location of the hotel was great, being walking distance to restaurants, bars, Van Gogh museum etc., and we weren't disturbed by any noise.

We had the jazz lunch at the Cafe Americain which was great (I think it is just on Sundays). For 22 Euros you get a glass of champagne, as much as you want from the buffet and coffee after, accompanied by a live jazz band. Lovely decor in the restaurant and it has a romantic atmosphere.

Hotel staff seemed friendly enough, but did not really need to trouble them for anything.

Overall, room seemed expensive for the size, but believe this is typical of Amsterdam. Would be happy to stay here again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2004

I stayed at the American for 3 nights over August bank holiday this year. We booked direct with the hotel as they had the best rate and we chose a superior room. Check-in was fine and we got a drink voucher and some chocolates for being Priority club members! The room, however, was disappointing. We requested a canal view because we had read in other reviews that the square can be noisy. We didn't get either. What we got was a room with only two small windows which both opened onto a small gap between our bit of the hotel and the other bit. So we could look directly into other people's rooms and they could see us! Because the windows were quite small and the buidling next door being so close we didn't get much natural light so the room felt a bit dingy. For a superior room I thought it was a bit small and odd-shaped (we were right at the end of the corridor). The furnishings were nice and the bed was comfy, and everything was nice and clean though. The bathroom didn't have a window which I hoped it would as it was on an exterior wall. It was ok sized but definitely not superior. To be fair, we didn't complain and didn't asked to be moved as I knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room so maybe we could have moved rooms. All this aside, the hotel is nice and very well-located. You can walk to all the attractions (some are 20 mins or so away but the walk is very pleasant as there's so much to see). The trams stop outside too so its very easy to get around. The breakfast was graet! I think it was about £8 but its a massive buffet and there's even Champagne included! I would reccommend the hotel and I would stay there again but I would ask to be moved if I got that sort of room again as it wasn't worth the money.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2004

Generally very good,got off the museum boat from the central station and into hotel. Only downside was that we'd asked for a non smoking room and got a rather small room that stunk of tobacco. Otherwise the room was fine wonderful stained glass. The Cafe American is spectacular! Amazing art nuveau /secessionist with stained glass birds, mediaval knights, parasol light fittings. We ate there the first night and for 30 Euros had a very good 3 course meal with a canal trip included. I thought it was excellent value. Afternoon tea good too. Staff very pleasant.

You could walk to the museums or up into all the central shops and to the 9 streets shopping, the bloomenmarkt, buy flowers there not at the airport. 50 tulips for 5 euros even in November.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2004

Stayed 4 nights at the Crown Plaza American and loved. Location is the best in AMS. Staff was courteous/delightful and room was surpsingly large for a European hotel. I was upgraded to a room with my own private balcony overlooking the city. Everything in AMS is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Breakfast buffet was steep at 18euro but had tons of options. Visited the Swisshotel while there and more pleased with Crown Plaza.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

Having stayed at the Crowne Plaza city centre, I thought I'd try the American. As an Ambassador card holder, I was upgraded to a room with two queen beds in it and I had a few freebies, like fruit, water and those famous Dutch biscuits! The problem were that the furniture and bedding seemed a bit too worn out and I won't even describe how stained the bed cover was!

In future I will probably stay elsewhere..

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2004

Good points - Location, architecture (internal and external), service, breakfast room, staff.

Bad points - entrance not easily accessible (narrow street), billing included breakfast charge (but front desk very accommodating re reversal)

Fatal flaw - house beer is Grolsch!

There are better choices in this price range.

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2004

My wife and i stayed over the august bank holiday weekend for 4 nights. The city is great, definately buy the amsterdam pass, great value. The hotel on the other hand did not quite measure up to expectations. We had a double superior room facing the theatre. I had read previous reviews which did say it could be noisy but did not find it disturbing. The room was small but very clean (unfortunately the hotel was full so no room change). There was no double duvet (2 singles) one pillow each (had to request 2 more). The lifts are slow but remember it is a listed building. We did enjoy the breakfast, slightly expensive but great surroundings and no need to eat until dinner! The food is excellent both breakfast and dinner! The customer service side was better on the day shift whereas the night shift were slightly off. I think some of the mainly American and Japanese guests did not get the relaxed atmosphere and approach of the restaurant staff to service. Don't eat there if you want a quick bite. The restaurant staff were always attentive and couldn't do enough for you, a definate asset. Try the bar cocktails were average prices (you never know some rich American may buy you a drink! yes someone bought a round for the whole bar, most generous of him!). To sum up Amsterdam is a great city but i think better "value" can be obtained elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!