“AMAZING ! THANK YOU ! ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
“AMAZING ! THANK YOU ! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

What can I say the place is amazing ! This was booked less than 24 hours after our wedding and we left less than 24 hours after that so it's was full on busy ! I emailed the hotel the evening before our stay and asked if there was any way our room would be able to look over the canal as I have never been to Amsterdam before but my husband has. I was promptly emailed back congratulating me and advised they would try their best . Well when we arrived the staff were so friendly and genuinely happy for us that we had just got married ! When we went to our room I was blown away by how beautiful/superior it was. Truly touched that this hotel had gone out of its way to give us this room. And on the booking I still had my maiden name listed, but when we were in the room we had a personalised letter addressed to "Mr & Mrs" from the general manager ! Talk about personal touch ! We ate in the hotel restaurant and was served by Sharriff he was so friendly and made great conversation. The food was so good ! The hotel maid service immaculate the room service excellent every team member we came into contact with was so friendly and have such a sincere attitude a greasy professionalism with everything, i even got to keep my room key when checking out as souvenir ! Honestly so grateful for everything they did for us. We only could go for a few days but wish it was longer. On the 15 minute tram journey back to central station I made sure my husband knows exactly where I want to come back on our anniversary ! Thank you so much to all of your team for a wonderful stay :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and review posting. Once more many congratulations with your marriage. We are proud that we could contribute to a wonderful honeymoon. We look forward to welcoming you in may years to come on your anniversary. With best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Usually a day trip for us, Amsterdam overnight is even more! From the moment we walked into reception at the hotel, I had my desire to stay in this hotel turn to a marvelous reality!

The reception personnel were very kind and cheerful, and our room was wonderful....on floor 5, overlooking the canal. We could watch the world go by, sitting on our balcony. The modernized room was clean and orderly, the hot water machine a great plus, and the only thing missing (often these days in many hotels!) was a shower cap.

Steps away was the incredible and historic Cafe American...where traditional coffee service is a must! And nearby was the magnificent Rijksmuseum. The trams and buses stop just out front, so it is very convenient without a car.

As of July, the public transportation in Amsterdam (and Holland) has changed to a card, making movement around the city just a matter of touching the card (OV-Chipcard...available in the central train station and some shops) to the reader when stepping on or off. There are card readers on the trams, busses, and in and out from the trains. There are many options for this card, from a temporary ride card to a longer day range card, to a permanent card that also works on the trains. Just like a phone card, the balance can be 'topped off', and the reader, as you check out, will tell you the balance on your card.

We will return to this hotel the next visit to Amsterdam!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and your review. It gives us great pleasure that you enjoyed Amsterdam and the hotel. For your info: many amenities are available at the reception (razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, showercap etc.). Your detailed public transportation information is a great help for fellow travellers. Good to know that we will be the residence of your choice again upon your next Amsterdam visit. With best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I decided to propose to my girlfriend in Amsterdam because it's my favourite city. I made reservations at the American back in February and emailed the hotel asking them if there was anywhere they could suggest that would be appropriate to pop the q and the staff were really helpful and suggested a few ideas, o e of which was the skinny bridge, which has a romantic back-story, perfect I thought! I also asked if there was any way they could make our stay special. I hadn't had any contact with the hotel since then. When I arrived at the hotel I was drenched, having walked all the way to the hotel from centraal station in a downpour that'd make noah get his tools out. I was feeling nervous, wet and dishevelled. The receptionist who greeted me was extremely attractive (which may seem irrelevant) so I was a little awkward when checking in but she was so sweet and exited for me that she soon made me feel at ease. She would shed me luck and I went up to my roo. I very impressed to discover they had put me in a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the canal, this couldn't get any better!
Unfortunately my girlfriend broke up with me and never actually came out to Amsterdam, so I had the prospect of a depressing stay ahead of me! However, the hotel is beautiful and the staff were all so friendly that it made my stay way better than I expected. When I came to check out I was really nervous that the same receptionist would be at the desk and I would have to explain the whole humiliating situation, I even toyed with the idea of lying to make myself seem like less of a loser. As I was walking down to check out I was praying that it'd go smoothly and I wouldn't have to admit to being blown out so disastrously...much to my dismay, the same receptionist was indeed on duty and I sheepishly approached the desk to proceed with the formalities/humiliations. She greeted me with a friendly smile and straight away asked me how it went. I couldn't go through with the lie, so I opted for the truth. I was sure the world would open up and swallow me! However, the receptionist was super sweet again and seemed genuinely upset for me and instantly made me feel better. She is a credit to the hotel, which is in turn a credit to a beautiful city. I left feeling positive and actually quite sad to be going. My only regret is that I didn't have the conversation with the receptionist earlier in my stay, as she really made the horrible situation not seem so bad. I never got her name because I was so flustered on both occaisions but I would just like to say thank you and you're awesome.

• Stayed August 2014
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your long-planned visit and personal review. Great to hear that people can make the difference and that you have fond memories of the city. With best regards,
Avondale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip to The Netherlands and also at the end of our trip. Great location - near museums and lots of dining choices. Room size was big by European standards. Bathroom was a nice size too. Bath towels were big and thick. Nice touch. Electric teapot with lots of coffee / cocoa and tea choices. Business center was great for checking news back home and for printing out boarding passes. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would strongly recommend this property. Transportation to the airport via Bus 197 was right across the street. We arrived hours before the published check in time but the staff was accommodating and got us into our room a couple of hours early. Very pleased with our accommodations.

Room Tip: We had both a rear room and a room facing the street. I was worried about noise level of street ro...
Dear Guest,
Thank your for your review posting and the two visits in a short period. We are grateful for your recommendation to fellow travellers based on your satisfactory experiences. With best regards,
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

second time and still perfect,the location is great, staff are friendly, quiet,rich in history, there is a nice view of Leidseplien from room's small balcony, wonderful morning breakfast. Highly recommended place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review posting and for revisiting us. Your report is short and sweet! We hope your stay was an incentive to revisit us again in the nearby future. With best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The location is excellent! The Amsterdam American Hotel is very run down, carpeting, upholstery, curtains in the junior suite are dirty and worn. The bathrooms are extremely dated and need renovation. The female staff can be very rude for no reason. The internet is just awful, like internet from the 90s.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and review posting. The room is scheduled for renovation. Our free WIFI is for average, private use. For high-speed business purposes, vouchers can be obtained. We have 4 high-speed terminals in the business centre at no cost. Maybe you can contact us to specify the comments about female service providers. Your description is very general and therefore difficult to use for re-training and improvement purposes. With best regards,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This was our first time staying in a regular hotel in Amsterdam, previously we stayed in B & B's. The reception staff, with one exception were very professional and friendly. our check-in was not handled well and despite telling us that our room was ready for occupying after it had been inspected, the length of time taken to inspect the room was inordinately long. The young lady at reception made no effort to follow up this procedure and we just waited. This plus the fact that we had to ask twice for additional towels was the only problem that we had with the reception. The room we had facing the canal was spacious and the bed large and extremely comfortable. The decor is of another era but definitely in keeping with the tradition of the hotel. The breakfast was a top range buffet in a glorious art deco environment. We also had dinner in the same restaurant where the food was good but the service could have been better considering the fact that the restaurant was far from crowded. To avoid excessive noise from the outside crowds I would suggest requesting a room facing the canal. The advice and service from the Concierge was outstanding. Recommended as an ideal location in order to easily get to anywhere you want to see.

Room Tip: Rooms facing canal
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and review posting. We are glad that you had a pleasant experience. Your constructive comments will be shared and used for service improvements. With best regards,

Been to Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!