“My parents may never sleep here again” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 97, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #90 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“My parents may never sleep here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

First of all, I didn't sleep here, but I visited my parents during their stay at the hotel. These are my experiences as a visiting guest. My father is handicapped, therefore I had to help him to check out. I would do that again to help my parents, but I will never come over again just for a regular visit.

I'm a citizen of Amsterdam, and sometimes my parents come over. They love to book a hotel, and sometimes they book the Amsterdam American Hotel. First of all, the location is superb. Right at Leidsplein, in the middle of the touristic city center, close to all the clubs and museums. It's easy for me to go there and visit my mom and dad. I love going to the cafe, the atmosphere is historical and has that old glam, and I love having lunch their with my parents. However the guests, and in some cases the staff of the hotel, are a shame.

I entered the hotel to pick up my dad after he had breakfast. My mother had already left and paid the bill, except my fathers breakfast. When I was waiting for the elevator, together with a very old man, it took some time for the elevator to come (which is fine, obviously). However, when the elevator got there, a very rude Russian family came out of nowhere all of a sudden and claimed the elevator, leaving me and the old man behind, not letting us in. I stopped the elevator, said something about it, and asked if at least the old man could go up with them (because they weren't really keen on creating any space). So rude, but fortunately the old man could go up to his room.

When I eventually got up and took my father downstairs to the lobby to check him out, we had to pay more than just breakfast. I had to make the receptionist clear that my mother had paid the rest, and it took me some time to convince her. After a while she found out I was right, and that was just it. An apology would have been nice in a way, but hey, ok, I'm not the most grumpy person in the world. But still. Surrounding us were lots of guests, being so loud it was hard for me to have a conversation with the staff over there. It was insane. Like a playground.

On top of all, when I took my father outside, the concierge was talking to a taxi driver. About us. Obviously they thought we weren't Dutch, but that was a big, big mistake. The taxi driver made very inappropriate sexual comments about me towards the concierge, who was just laughing it off. It was really unbelievable. I stood up against the taxi driver, told him it was not very clever of him to talk about people like that in general, and certainly not about guests of your employer, but he seemed to think it was normal to say stuff like "I would 'work' her if she would get into my cab, I would do her all night." The guy was around 55, I'm 24.

Thank GOD my father didn't hear ANY of it. I don't know what would have happened. I don't know if the taxi driver is part of the hotel staff, but I'm sure I'll never grab a cab if I had to. I would walk towards Leidseplein and grab one over there.

Based on my experience as a guest not staying over, I would never book a room here. Visiting was not a pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We do not employ taxi drivers. It is a free taxi market and the dispatch sends the closest driver available. If you have the taxi number, you can make a formal complaint. We shall do the same. We hope that you appreciate that some external factors or situations are beyond our control. Like the taxi driver or the impolite guest in the elevator. The same goes for a busy and therefore sometimes perhaps noisy lobby. Of course we are open for any improvement suggestions. Best regards,

1,265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Malden Surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok hotel would not rush to go back. Really unwelcoming checkin clerk she just barked at me credit card etc.

Room was cold so we had to ask for a heater to be brought up to the room. We didn't have breakfast there we instead went to an irish pub around the corner

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your feedback. We sincerely hope that "barking" is an exaggeration, however we regret that the discreption unwelcoming was the sentiment that apparantly was radiated and acknowledge more attention to the "ton qui fait la musique". With best regards,
Swindon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I can't comment on the price because I was on a special corporate rate.

Obviously this was a very grand hotel in the past as shown by the pictures in reception. The entrance is now a "side entrance" for some reason. Lifts are quite small which likely to be a result of the old building design. Enough for 3 people max.

Hotel staff were in all cases friendly and helpful when i checked in and out.

The room itself was rather dim regardless of how many lights I put on so they must have been low-powered or something. I had a view over the side-entrance and a small balcony but I was unable to open the doors to the balcony to get onto it due to a safety change. There may have been a way to get through the safety chain but i didn't bother finding out.

The 2 pillows seemed a bit lost on my kingsize bed but they were comfortable enough. I arrived too late to eat dinner in the hotel.

Breakfast in the morning had a reasonable choice, the bacon was rather frazzled but otherwise the food choice was reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your visit and your review. The hotel entrance on the street side was created as a service to guests arriving by car or taxi. This enables them to stop right in front of the door. The size of the lifts is indeed a result of the 111-year old building design. The observation concerning lights will be used at the renovation of the somewhat outdated rooms. We hope you will visit us again for business of private purposes to witness the modifications. With best regards,
Capital of the World
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I am the first to believe back in the days this used to be a magnificent hotel - the outside still show. However nowadays it stays with the outside. For some reason they moved the grand entrance to a shabby plastic holiday inn reception on the side. Dutch people working in hospitably must be getting a course of how to be grumpy and impolite to guest as they master it pretty well...every day again. Guess they don't feel like they have to work for tips and let the service slide.
The rooms are outdated - and this is an understatement. This is the type of hotel that is brought up with an ikea-type hotel wholesale department store. Honestly where do you find carpets, "art" and curtains like that.
Breakfast is average - nothing too healthy or fresh.
Location is great, but be aware this comes together with lots of noise too, especially on party nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and your review. The hotel entrance is on the street side as a service to our guests that arrive by car or taxi and can stop right in front of the door. Although we can not be held responsible for the Dutch service industry, we shall focus on our own service using your feedback. Our less contemporary rooms are up for renovation. Without making a judgemental statement about Ikea, we can inform you that their furniture is not and will not be part of our design. Concerning outside noise, we can only confirm your statement that it comes with the location. Regarding your breakfast observations, we would like to obtain more details in order for us to make improvements. Thank you and best regards,
New York City, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel staff was incredibly friendly. Always asking if there was anything they could to do help. We stayed for 3 days. When we arrived, there was a basket of fruit and champagne in our rooms. When we departed, they gave us some small gifts from the area. The view from our balcony was terrific!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Amsterdam American Hotel as your residence during your visit to The Netherlands. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope to see you again. Best regards,
brechin scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Excellent location for trams, buses etc. Hotel very nice but rooms very dated our first room was nice with a small balcony but after going away for a night to Germany and coming back for another 2 nights we were given a different room which was not good. After spending a lot of money for the first two nights we thought our room for the next two nights when we came back would be just as nice or if not better than the room before but it was not. Very chlaustrophobic with a small window which overlooked the roof, certainly not worth what we paid I don't think. As we were only there for a short time we didn't ask to change but if it had been any longer I would have asked for a different room. Amsterdam is way overpriced accommodation wise in general so maybe you have to pay a lot to get a lot in return. Would probably stay there again as it was clean and in a nice area. I have to say reception staff wereexcellent and very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your visits and your review posting. Several dated rooms are up for renovation. The room type upon your second visit is the quitest available. For guests that prefer a minimum of noise over a city/canal view. By stating your preference, maximum effort will be displayed to accomodate you in a room of your preference. With best regards,
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The staff did their best, but despite prebooking supposedly quiet rooms, my second disturbed night at this hotel. Poor in room lighting and a very springy bed don't add to the ambience, but the noise is pretty dreadful. As I was there for business, my needs were small but a good night's sleep was one of them. Heavy metal concert and tram noise anyone?

Room Tip: Try to ask for a quiet room. It won't be quiet but at least not deafening. Side canal or court...