“No regret to stay here” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 97, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #96 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“No regret to stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Today is my fifth day staying at Amsterdam American Hotel. I am happy to report that I have no regret to stay here.

When I planned a trip to Netherlands for my husband's birthday, I did a lot of research and reserved a room at Amsterdam American Hotel as our base because of its location, history, architecture characteristics, and pricing. Two days before we left for our trip, I almost canceled my reservation after reading some recent posts about problems with Amsterdam American Hotel, including noise from exterior repair, unhelpful staff, and rundown interior, etc. I started to search for other hotels, but found about 10% "terrible" or "poor" rating for almost all 4-star hotels in Amsterdam except one hotel - Notting Hill Hotel. I decided to take a chance thinking that 90% of the reviews of Amsterdam American Hotel was positive. I am glad we took a risk to stay at this hotel despite some negative commons. I planned to write a review of our stay after our trip (we will stay here for another three days), but I could not wait to share our experience with everyone here.

(1) Noise: It is true that the hotel is under exterior repair. Approximately one forth of the exterior is currently covered with scaffold, but not "entirely covered with scaffold" as noted in other posts. We are staying in room 4, a room facing canal, which is not covered with scaffold. It is a very quiet room and there is no street noise or noise from repair.

(2) Staff: All the staff we have encountered so far are very helpful. They are not chatty, but always willing to help, from giving directions to places to making recommendations for restaurants and attractions. Prior to our trip, I emailed the hotel to ask about direction from the airport to the hotel. I received a whole page long detailed instruction about how to get to the hotel by taxi, train, or bus. The hotel staff recommended taking bus #197, which is the best option based on our experience. However, we did not find out this until yesterday when we went to Keukenhof Garden via the airport. When we arrived in Amsterdam, we were tired and thought taking an airport hotel shuttle bus would be easier than the bus #197 due to concerns of handling our luggages on the bus. The reality is that the bust #197 has luggage racks and it has a stop right outside of the hotel. On the other hand, the airport hotel shuttle made us waited for nearly two hours until there were enough passengers going to hotels in the same area as our hotel. We regret we did not follow the recommendation of our hotel staff. Oh, the bus #197 costs 4 Euros per person per trip; the airport hotel shuttle costs 16 Euros per person per trip. It is no brainer that the bus #197 is the best choice.

(3) Interior: The interior of this hotel is beautiful, clean, and well maintained. There are some beautiful paintings on display, showing the rich history of art in this beautiful city.

(4) Location: As noted in previous posts, this hotel is centrally located. Several major museums are within walking distance, plenty of eateries are right outside of the hotel, and all means of transportation (i.e., tram, bus, and boat) (we have not used metro yet) are in front of the hotel.

(5) Room: Our room is specious with a seating area and a fireplace. it is clean and comfortable. I was concerned about bed and pillows because of some negative comments in previous posts. I am happy to report that our bed and pillows are very comfortable. Oh, I prepared for the worst, but pleasantly suprised that robs, slippers, toothbrush, and toothpaste are provided. Our bathroom is not too spacious, but sufficient. No compliant.

(6) Extra: We arrived on my husband's birthday. Prior to our trip, I emailed the hotel to do something special for his birthday when we check in, such as a note card saying "Happy Birthday" in our room. My request was honored with (1) a staff member checked us gave my husband a handshake and said "Happy Birthday" to him; and (2) we got a coupon of a free drink at the American Cafe/Bar. Both my husband and I appreciate it.

(7) Anything that could have been better? So far our experience has been very positive except one thing. We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 am and we were tired after a long flight. We were told our room was not ready and had to wait until 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon. I wish the hotel staff had told us we could go upstairs to rest or get something to eat at their Cafe knowing that we had a long flight overnight. Because nothing was offered at our check in, we decided to venture out. We went to the park nearby and stayed in the cold in the park until 2 pm. Luckily, our room was ready then. On our way to our room, we realized that there were plenty of comfortable seatings upstair. where we could have waited there. The business center is also upstairs, where we could have used for emailing our family and friends while we were waiting. We wish the hotel staff have told us that. Or we should have asked.

(8) Stay tuned: We are going to stay here for another three days. I might share more experience here. Stay tuned. Thank you for reading this long review.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
American-Management, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your week-long stay and your detailed review.

Your comments about informing guests about resting/waiting facilities while waiting for the room have been shared with the team and used for re-training purposes. Indeed, it shows the importance of good communication.

We are happy that you considered it the right decision to choose our monumental hotel for your visit amongst the wide choice available in Amsterdam. And that the hotel contributed to a pleasant stay in our country.

With best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. Overall I had a very pleasant stay at the American Hotel.
The location is PERFECT!!! It offers an easy access to any touristic location by foot.
The staff is very helpful.
The exterior of the building is lovely. The room, though of a good size, is just OK. The interior of the room is very basic.
Bathroom could have been better equipped with basic toiletries such as a toothbrush or shampoo/conditioner, etc.
The free internet was very slow and almost unusable.
I would not recommend this Hotel for a romantic getaway; otherwise I would most likely to stay here again, especially because of the perfect location.
Tip: Enjoy an evening performance at the People's Place, located opposite to the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 601 is of a good size. Very quite except the random noise from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your stay and your posting. We are increasing the speed of our wireless internet in the weeks to come. We hope to see you again at our hotel.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Old city charm with modern convenience, great location but I suggest you upgrade to one of the larger rooms with a balcony. I have stayed at the American several times over the past couple decades and have never had a bad experience

Room Tip: A balcony is a must
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your renewed visit and your review posting. We are glad that you once more enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam at our hotel and we hope that we may welcome you again in the decades to come.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a great stay at the American Hotel. While there is a little bit of construction going on in an effort to allow the hotel to be refreshed so future generations can appreciate this beautiful location, it was not intrusive in any way. Except for some scaffolding on the side of the building, I would have never known it was going on. The location was great! We were steps away from Leidseplein, a couple blocks from the Rijksmuseum (fantastic after it's 10 year hiatus), near many great restaurants, and near the canal boat tours.

We arrived at the hotel a few hours before check in time. In Dutch fashion, I was informed check in was at 3:00 PM but was then told it was a lucky day because the room was ready and we were allowed to go to our room early. The room was clean and good sized. There was a quasi separate office in the room which I thought was a great use of space. The bed was smaller than I am used to at a hotel. I wonder if they have Dutch customers as they are the tallest people on Earth on average. I'm only 5'3" and I felt tall in that bed. However, I've stayed in other hotels in The Netherlands and this is pretty standard. The bed was very comfortable even with its diminutive size. We did not have a view but that didn't matter to us because we were out and about from morning till night during our stay. Always nice to return to a very clean room.

The service was great! We were greeted with smiles and friendly greetings whenever we encountered someone from the hotel. When we were headed to our room, the housekeeper was very helpful in sorting out some confusion we had as the wrong number was on our key folio. Errors happen...it's how they are handled that is critical. The staff quickly resolved the issue so it was a non event.

The interior of the hotel is wonderful but the restaurant is really a work of art. It is beautifully decorated with gorgeous lamps that give it such a great character. The food was a bit pricey but was also very good tasting. You get what you pay for. I only had dinner at the restaurant one night so can't comment on the brunch which looked plentiful but, again, was pricey.

I had a great deal on this hotel through one of the discount travel sites and a discount coupon I had. When I read about the construction, I was a few clicks away from cancelling the reservation and going somewhere else. After getting to Amsterdam, I was happy I stuck with this hotel and even told my boyfriend I would have been sad had we stayed at the other option. I had a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
American-Management, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting the Amsterdam American Hotel and for your review posting.

Indeed we work hard to preserve the monumental building for generations to come. We are glad that the hotel and its services exceeded your expectations.

We hope to see you back.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the american hotel - the location is perfect.we stayed for 2 nights over the easter weekend and we were upgraded - however whilst we booked 2 rooms they were several floors apart. I guess the management arent mind readers but when a family books 2 rooms?

My only gripe would be the cost of rhe breakfast. An absolutely crazy amount for a croissant and a cup of coffee. I refuse to pay the best part of €100 for 4 breakfasts. So we found a pan ake bar around the corner which fine. As one of the selling points of the place is the art deco resurant that is surely no justification for overcharging for the breakfasts.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

American-Management, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review posting. We are glad that you deemed our hotel very befitting for your purpose. We regret that the breakfast offering with hot & cold buffet, champagne and live-cooking did not meet with your value-for-money expectations. Could you maybe inform us what you have missed in our breakfast offering?

Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife advised that it would be my birthday when we stayed and asked for a room with a view. On arrival we discovered that we had been upgraded to a superior room, room 525 with a balcony and view over the Leidsesplein and canal. In addition, we had a birthday card, a bottle of cava and a voucher for a free drink! Thanks for going to such trouble, it was fantastic and we will be back.
The hotel is wonderful, an art nouveau treasure and the restaurant is gorgeous, every detail from lampshades to the stained glass windows is a museum piece and it is a must see for anyone.
The service is top class and you are made welcome from the moment you arrive, the staff are a great team!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
American-Management, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Waltham Abbey, Nazeing, Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Booked through Booking.com - painless, stressfree experience. Hotel emailed me to let me know they still had some scaffolding up from on-going renovations of the beautiful 1905 exterior - exceptional customer service - they even placed a small bottle of bubbly and a congratulations message in our room, along with bathrobes and slippers! (Unfortunately, my emailed message saying it was 29 years since we had visited Amsterdam was taken for an anniversary trip rather than the girlie trip me and my old college friend had planned!) Anyway it was lovely of the hotel to go to those efforts for us!. The hotel is quite a well known building in Amsterdam, the fountains outside make it a really lovely sight as you get off the airport bus right outside the hotel itself (197 bus from airport, bus stop 11B outside airport terminal) . As the review title suggests, this hotel is in the best position you could possibly want for eating, coffee, canal walks, floating flower market, museum area, park, all within a short walk of ten minutes or so. Directly outside you have access to trams going anywhere! You really cannot beat the location. When we jumped on a tram to the Central Station area we were so glad we were in the Leidesleplein area as it was so much nicer....
Yes, the rooms could do with a little updating, but the hotel itself far outweighed any negatives with the room decor - the restaurant was lovely with its stained glass and Art Deco lighting, a real treat to eat breakfast (which was fabulous) in such an historic setting. If you booked in for breakfast the previous day it was 15€ - but worth it, with everything you could want, including bubbly.
Overall the refurbishment and scaffolding made not a jot of difference to our stay. The hotels history is fascinating, with the German occupied forces taking it over in WW2.
We are planning our next trip already and will look forward to our second stay at the American Amsterdam Hotel.

Room Tip: We had two rooms to choose from, one with canal view and balcony on 4th floor and one front view on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your reviwe posting. We hope it will not be another 29 years before you visit Amsterdam!

Best regards,

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American? Share your experiences!