“absolute lurury” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Whyalla, Australia
“absolute lurury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is elegant luxury, nothing was to much trouble for the friendly courtious staff especially Stefan who was always so obliging in helping us with posting our excess luggage home, and any other queries we had, excellent service Stefan. The spacious split level junior suite room 115 with sit on balcony and canal view was stunning, a definate wow factor.It was spotlessly clean, tea/coffee maker,stocked mini bar, air conditioned. Large bathroom with over bath shower.
The hotel is close to the leidseplein district and is ideally situated close to the square with its eateries, shops,trams, buses, everything you need.
The stocked mini bar is electronic so everytime you take something out it registers, a bit hard when you only use half bottle,or the milk being taken out and in. could do with a shelf thats not electronic to accomadate this.
We highly recommend this hotel and cannot believe its not 5 star, would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: what are your requirements ask questions
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
American-Management, Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and your feedback.

It is with pleasure that we conclude from your posting that the experience did exceed your expectations.

We shall continue to keep up and improve the standards in order to facilitate the same consistent experience.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Schagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night, but got a good impression of the things that are important to me while staying at any hotel.

Pretty Art-Deco setting and very near (next!) to Amsterdams Leidseplein and trams that can take you just about anywhere.
More important for me: Good Beds! A thing that isn't as common as you would think...Especially in the Amsterdam vicinity.
My single room was small but very cozy and spotlessly clean.

Breakfast in the morning was fine. A choice of fruits, cereals, rolls, sandwiches (toasted or not) yoghurt and more. Waiters present to cater to any questions you may have.

Just an overall nice hotel, I would recommend it!

(Please note that I didn't review "service" as I just checked in, slept, had breakfast and checked out. I didn't feel I had needed any outstanding service).

Room Tip: A thing to think about though: my room was situated at the front of the hotel and while it is very n...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
American-Management, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review.

We are content to hear that the hotel provides the elements that are important to you and that your stay did meet with your expectations.

It is our challenge to exceed your expectations upon your next visit.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've stayed here before and, basically, it’s an hotel. Nothing terribly fancy, nothing awful. Staff good. Sadly wrapped in scaffolding and cloth this time for some sort of external refurb but there are great views and its fairly central and just round the corner from walking streets. I'd automatically stay here when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at the Amsterdam American Hotel and your posting.

The hotel is partially covered with scaffolding and the necessary covering fabric. This for necessary refurbisments to the monumental 110-year old building. These exterior works are scheduled to be ready in the spring.

We are happy to hear that we are your first choice in Amsterdam and hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Amazement with service started before checking in. I called, asked for advice on restaurant. They sent me recommendations by email, asked for preferred date & time, and reserved for me.

Building is old, and you can't help but notice mold smell. Also room sizes are not too spacious. However, if you'll be there just to sleep, guess that's ok.

Service - great!! Breakfast - decent. Get a bfast coupon a day early to save few bucks, or if not too hungry, can grab something in Starbucks nearby.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your review posting.

It gives us great pleasure to notice that our service efforts were appreciated.

The mentioned odeurs are related to the current refurbishment works and are gone or being treated.

We hope we may welcome you again soon.

Little Rock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 days and the accomodations were nice. Our room was very large with all the niceities such as robes and slippers. Beds were typically European, very firm with minimal linens. Once again I found the lighting to be lacking after the sun went down. Seems very common in hotels now to forgo overhead lighting. For those of us who have a hard time seeing, this is a real nuiscance. Also the exterior is undergoing a renovation, so most of the rooms look out to scaffolding and netting. No views whatsovever which is a real shame since I think Amserdam is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The hotel seemed a bit 'tired' to me. The carpet was in awful condiition in the hallways and the low ceilings with ceiling tiles did not serve the exterior design of the building in all its grandeur. However, the location was perfect for shopping, dining and some light entertainment. The Anne Frank museum is within easy walking distance. Please beware of the quietly moving street cars that zip through the Leidsplein. Very, very dangerous. Also the 197 bus from Schiphol drops you off across the street from the hotel (about €4). None of the signage on the bus is in English so just watch for the location 'Leidsplein' to appear on the monitor. It's a good 20 minute ride. I think on our next visit, we may stay elsewhere such as the Marriott directly across the canal--I'd like a newer hotel if I'm going to pay so much for a room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal side would be much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and feedback.

Indeed we are in the process of making the look and feel of the hotel newer. Exactly as you are expecting from us. The "tired" carpets for example are soon to be replaced.

If you are able to provide the room number that you were in, we shall happily look into the lighting and make improvements.

Hopefully you will reconsider us for your next visit knowing that many improvement works are currently being carried out.

Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had a good experience of staying here. I found the reception staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They kindly changed my room and I had a lovely view from a large balcony. The room was large, clean and the bed was huge! The toiletries were 'Ritual' ones which are gorgeous, so I was very pleased with those! I didn't have any food at the hotel so can't comment on that. I did have a drink in the bar and my only moan there was that as a single female traveller I seemed to be overlooked by the barman, who served a man first that obviously came in after me, and I wasn't asked if I wanted another drink at any time whilst sitting outside. Apart from that, the hotel is in an ideal location next to the Leidesplein where there's plenty of nightlife. It's an easy tram ride to the train station or a walk of about 20 minutes. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rodolf_J_W, General Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit and your review posting. We are glad that you appreciate the hotel so much and have taken your comment concerning bar service on board. With best regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Amsterdam American hotel was in a perfect location for all local tourist attractions, from Vodelpark, the Heineken museum and also the Anne Frank museum - depending on what you fancied.

The hotel staff were friendly and polite, check in was efficient and easy.

The room was a good size and was very comfortable, we had everything we needed. Room was cleaned on a daily basis.

If we visit Amsterdam again which I'm sure we will I would definitely stay in the American hotel again

Room Tip: We had a room facing the side which was nice as we could see the canal and also people milling aroun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and your feedback.

We are proud that you consider our hotel your absolute first choice in Amsterdam. We shall continue to keep up the standards that resulted in the confidence that you have in us.

We hope to see you back again soon.

With best regards,

Been to Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!