“A True Feeling of Amsterdam in the Heart of the City” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 97, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #85 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“A True Feeling of Amsterdam in the Heart of the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here with my 15 month old daughter & had a lovely time. The first room they showed us was TINY. When I mentioned that I wasn't very pleased, they showed us to another that knocked my socks off! It had a balcony that stretched the length of the hotel overlooking the fountain, the bustling street & a peek view of the canal. It also had a separate office/desk area that was perfect for my daughter's cot. The arching windows & beautiful architecture made me feel fortunate to stay in such a beautiful hotel. (My 1st visit to Amsterdam was when I was a starving student). This was a HUGE contrast.

The trams run right outside & can be heard so if you're a super light sleeper, this may not be the place for you but my 15 mo old slept like.....well... a baby. Because the location is just steps away from one of the most bustling restaurant/night club areas (actually about a block away) there is definately more party noise on the weekends.

The hotel restaurant is well known for its Sunday brunch & even locals make a special effort to eat there. The soaring ceilings & tiled arches are wonderful & the food was good too. I think they have a pianist on the weekends.
The staff made a special effort to provide my daughter with a backpack full of goodies, a ducky bath mitt & special soaps. She loved it!
We stayed 4 nights & met friends there as well. This was a perfect base for seeing the entire city. We walked everywhere. It's close to museums, cafes, right nest to the canal cruises, Heineken museum, everything.
We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The large room with wonderful balcony on the front of the hotel gives a magical feeling of being in...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Verwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

OK but not the standard I expected compared to cheaper hotels in the same group, my colleague booked a hotel down the road that was cheaper and the room was at least twice as big. The hotel rooms are looking and feeling tired. I booked a double room and got two beds pushed together, asked for a double room but none available and they offered a double bed to be fitted, they put in two singles and zipped them together and left the bed with two single duvets. I have stayed here in the past and wanted to surprise my wife as she met me halfway through my stay, I felt a bit embarrassed as I said it was a good hotel, I wish I moved.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in a stunning country.

Where do I start. I took one of my closest friends for a weekend away in Amsterdam in July as part of her Hen celebrations. I'm 23 and she's 24.

Location: the hotel is about a 20 minutes walk away from Central Station. There are plenty of trams on a regular basis that head straight for the hotel but given we were only in the city for 2 days we walked, using a map (which was fun in itself), so we could do a bit of sight seeing too. If you do choose to do the walk it takes you right through Dam Square which is gorgeous. The hotel is located in de Leidsesquare and is a vibrant, lively square with lots of bars and restaurants around. This was the only downfall late at night which I will elaborate on further down. It is about a 15 minute walk back to Dam Square and is coloured with shops and canals all along the route.

Hotel: When we arrived at the hotel I think we were both pretty stuned. We stayed in a standard room which was by any standard very large. Decor was stylish, modern and super clean, which is a big thumbs up in my books!! All the added extra's were there too...sewing kit, tea/coffee facilities, fully loaded mini fridge (at a cost of course), tv, hair dryer and an impressive sized balcony over looking de Leidsesquare. This, as mentioned above, was a bit of a negative. When we first stepped onto the balcony we thought great, we're out the front and get to see the world go by, however come bed time the noise was a nuisance and we both found it hard to sleep. It felt like the square never slept. So, my advice would be to ask for a room over looking the Canal and NOT the square, so that you may get a little peace when you need it. As we crammed so much in to two days the sleep was definately needed!!

Food/Drink: unfortunately we didn't get the chance to eat at the hotel but we did managed a late night hot chocolate, that was delicious, and was complimented with a cute little chocolate!

Staff: Perfect. Polite. Professional. Accommodating. They lead by example at this hotel, I really cannot stress this enough.

They really do hit the nail on the head with all the little extras at this hotel and Amsterdam itself is a beautiful city and not one to miss. If you don't use the station, it is one go and see! We did a canal trip which was fantastic, visited the house of Anne Frank and the Royal Palace, and also paid a curious visit to the red light district (not for the prude). Tram, bike and foot are the main forms of transport, and the city is laid back and full of bars where you can watch the world go by. If you love to experience different cultures this is the city for you!!

• Stayed July 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I went to AMS for a business trip and decided to extend my stay. Initially I booked a hotel not very central and as I was by myself I felt I needed to change and be where things were happening. I chose this hotel and my room was face the main street. There is a lovely fountain in front and the outside of the hotel is so beautiful that people stop there to take pictures all the time. You really feel luck to be there as really part of one of Amsterdam attractions. I had a balcony and I did really enjoy having a drink there, one of those moments that you are enjoying yourself so much that you wish some of our friends could be there to share with you! Everything in your door step, price is really fair and the restaurant is beautiful even if you fancy only a coffee. I am definitely going back and I want again the room I had! It was small but lots of storage and perfect for a weekend! Who cares about space inside the room when you have all that going on from our balcony and door step?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Arriving at a hotel after 10pm is never easy, but much worse is to be welcome with a "can I see your reservation?" call.... just to hear "our system doesn't show you have a room".
It so happened that we did had a room, but not until we found the damn confirmation email the hotel would "find it in their system" !!! Those were terrible 20 minutes, when a (rude, to say the least) attitude of reception would not show us a drop of sympathy or willingness to assist us finding a place to go (despite the fact the hotel is one of a chain), should we actually be left in the rain...
Rudeness can never be the attitude of a receptionist.
So you, should you choose to try this "place", make sure you call in advance to confirm you do have your reservation "in their system", which is clearly something of the middle ages !!!
As for me, I am sure there are other alternatives to try in Amsterdam before I come back to this "Amsterdam American", nothing like Amsterdam hostesness, nothing like American hotelling.
I even tried calling their manager to understand what was going on, and imagine, they guy came to the reception, did not even say "good night" to us, and was about to vanish without even looking us in the eye..... I had to call him out to say "you run a messy operation here".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
American-Management, Manager at Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel.

We are sorry to notice that our team displayed a more "process focussed" attitude rather than a "guest focussed" attitude. We regret that this influenced your perception of the hotel.

Please rest assured that we will use this experience to re-train our staff as per immediate.

With best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice hotel. But we didn't have a mini bar in our room and phone was standing far from bed so you have to stand up)))) Hotel located in the center of Amsterdam. And it is close to Airoport about 20-25 by car.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just back from a city trip of 2 days and 1 night at the American Hotel.
The room was not really what I expected for a 4 stars hotel.
The room was very dark, the windows were blocked (you can't open them - guess it is against the smokers) and the bathroom was tiny with used equipment (lock, trashbin ...)... into the bargain, we came at 3 PM and the room was not ready (even at 3.25 when we came back - but the whole Amsterdam was booked in this begin of november, this can explain the delay)
Why this rate of 4 then ?!
Because the location is perfect - You've got lot to see and to do (you just need to cross the street to be in the Vondel Park, all the musueum are in the area...)
Because the staff was really polite and helpfull (specially Jermain !)
Because we slept realy well ! No noise at all.

For sure I ll go back there (with a promotion rate of course !

Bertrand 34 years old

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam American Hotel - Hampshire Eden? Share your experiences!