“A perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“A perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We spent a week at this delightful hotel and were never disappointed by their service and friendlineoss. Located by the Leidesplein area there is much to see and do the moment you walk out the door. Located close to the Museum area we were able to take advantage of the magnificent art the city has to offer. Within three blocks there are dozens of fine restaurnts. One of the great advantages is that their room service menu is perfect for a snack or a full dinner. A perfect vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
HospitalityTrav67, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
We were pleased to notice that you had an excellent stay and would like to thank you for your kind words for our friendliness and service and our roomservice menu! Receiving positive feedback is always a pleasure and I will make sure the hotel staff receives the opportunity to read it. We look forward to welcoming you again at the Amsterdam American Hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The actual hotel is quite beautiful, and in an excellent location in the heart of Amsterdam, just off Leidesplein. It is directly next door to the concert hall/theatre, and about 10 mins walk from the museum quarter, about 15 mins walk from the Bloenmarkt (floating flower markets). The rooms are tastefully decorated in an art deco/nouveau style, and the usual amenities: mini bar, electronic safe, tea/coffee making facilities, shower gel, shampoo. No dressing gown, slippers or iron though. Tv has good selection of channels for English speakers; BBC1, BBC2, Animal Planet, MTV, CNN. Our room 119, had a nice walk out balcony with chairs, that overlooked the fountains outside- was a little noisy at night. There are computers available on the mezzanine floor with internet access free of charge and phone chargers for most makes on the desks. And that's about all I can say positive about this hotel as we had a terrible stay....
My partner and I booked a 2 night stay at this hotel through lastminute.com after searching through hundreds of hotels in Amsterdam looking for one that was wheelchair accessible- my partner is disabled. This hotel lists itself as having wheelchair accessible rooms on both it's own website and with lastminute.com. We thoroughly checked this before booking so felt confident to go ahead and book. In the special requests box we requested a wheelchair accessible room, and explained that my partner was wheelchair bound. Upon arriving in Amsterdam, we were horrified to find that the hotel DID NOT have a wheelchair accessible entrance. We were faced with a flight of stairs to the main entrance. I went in and checked at reception for the wheelchair entrance and was informed that the hotel was not wheelchair accessible. I explained to the receptionist-Martha (who was actually very helpful) that we had booked a wheelchair accessible room. She informed me that they do have wheelchair accessible rooms but the hotel is not wheelchair accessible!!! Totally crazy!
After much frantic calling to various people in the hotel she arranged for the concierge and a member of the bar staff, to bring my partner in through the bar entrance and then they would carry my partner up the smaller flight of stairs in the bar! I'm sure anyone reading this can imagine how humiliating this was for my partner. This was to be the plan for our entire stay at the hotel. Upset and tired from traveling, we reluctantly agreed as it seemed we had no other option. We went out and enjoyed the day in Amsterdam, and returned to the hotel. It took the staff 15minutes to let us in through the bar, and that only happened because I banged on the door!
We called lastminute immediately to complain, and try to get moved to a more appropriate accommodation. Lastminute contacted the hotel manager to try and get us moved, but he refused to refund our money, so we were forced to stay for the 2 nights. Very inconsiderate, and selfish attitude. I can't believe they wouldn't let us cancel our stay and move to an accessible hotel.

Later that evening we ate in the restaurant, as we were reluctant to tackle the whole entrance saga thing again. Surprise, surprise no wheelchair access! In order to access the restaurant we had to report to reception, and someone would then take us in the lift to the service entrance.
In the restaurant, the service was appalling. We were sat at the table for 10minutes with no menu, and no drinks. We had to catch a member of the restaurant team and ask them to bring us menus and order drinks. We found the menu had little choice and was really quite pricey: starters approx 16 euros, main course from approx 20 euros. We opted for the 2 course set menu option. My partner went for the fish option and I went for the Roasted Poussin- what a mistake! When it arrived, i cut it open and the centre appeared raw, so I poked a finger in, and it came out with blood on it!. I tried a couple of times to catch a member of staff but had no luck. I decided to not eat it and let the waitress know when she came to clear the plates. When I informed her that it was undercooked, her response was 'that it's meant to be that way'!!!! Obviously not heard of salmonella in Amsterdam. Total bill was 67 euros for 2 courses with 3 glasses of wine, and I had barely touched the main course.
Then we attempted to get back to our room on the 1st floor, and yes you guessed it- another saga. The restaurant manager took us to the service lift and sent us up to the 1st floor. When we stepped out of the lift we were faced with a flight of stairs! It was not accessible straight from the restaurant.
The next night we decided to eat in the bar. Better choice of menu, and nice surroundings. Walls are covered in photos of celebrity visitors to the hotel so quite a nice talking point. In addition to my partner as company, we also had mice! Yes mice. Whilst sat in the bar we watched mice wander into the main area and then scurry back into what looked like a store cupboard. Luckily they don't bother me but if you are not partial to the furry kind then you might want to give the bar a miss, as when another resident reported it to the bar staff, he told her 'yes we do have problem with mice, I will try and catch it if it comes out again' .!!
We hated every minute of staying in this hotel, and the hotel manager did not so much as offer us a complimentary meal or any discount off our final bill, for the humiliation and inconvenience we faced during our stay. Would never stay here again, and would certainly not recommend it.
Needless to say, Eden Hotel group will be receiving a letter from me!

• Stayed October 2011
HospitalityTrav67, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for your time and effort to put your comments on Tripadvisor. The reason that we have not replied before is that we only received your comments through Lastminute.com on 31 October 2011 and were investigating where it went wrong. We are very sorry for your bad experience in our hotel. We can well imagine it must have been extremely uncomfortable for your partner to say the least.

After making our investigations we can comment as follows: On the notification from lastminute.com (their advice on your reservation) it mentions in the special requirements of the booking:
"Wheelchair Accessible room required as wheelchair user". We have indeed reserved the disabled room for you. Many guests often book this room type but these guests are usually still in the position to walk a little bit. Therefore we do have a disabled room available but we are not wheelchair accessible.

Please be informed that this is the first time we have received such a complaint and please be assured we feel quite disturbed about it. We were in the assumption that the websites do mention that we have such a room available with addition information that our hotel has many stairs. We are once again truly sorry that we fell short in providing the services you expected.

Please be assured we have requested our e-commerce manager to double check all websites and remove any information informing guests that we are a suitable hotel for persons in a wheelchair.

I am very sorry to read about the terrible service you and your partner received in our restaurant. This is absolutely unacceptable, and I wish to apologise for our lack of compassion. Please be informed that I have spoken to the Food & Beverage Manager to prevent this form happening again. However, I disagree with regards to the menu prices you mentioned, we serve starters as from € 8.75 and main courses as from € 16.50. Our special theatre menu is a two course menu at € 27.50 per person.

I hereby would like to inform you that we were very surprised and shocked as well that there was a mouse in the bar, and also for the reaction you received from our bar staff. Please be informed that we, in the meanwhile, have contacted a specialised company to prevent this in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I can confirm that we comply with all the Health & Hygiene Regulations and Standards in the Netherlands.

Again we are very sorry that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations and we sincerely apologise for this.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Booked in for 3 days. Nice room with balcony and most expected facilities. A coffee machine would have been a bonus, as these are increasingly common in decent hotels.Very comfy bed and two easy chairs near the balcony.
Having arrived late we headed for the resturant and whilst grand in stature had a rather limited menu. A nice bottle of wine was followed by a couple of starters. However the two main courses were inedible and had to be returned. The resturant manager made appologies and took the whole cost of the meal from the bill. We did not eat again in the resturant.

The bar is popular and a nice place to spend an hour or so as an option to the nearby bars. We did however spot a mouse scurrying around behind the bar, and reported this to the staff.

Overall the staff were polite, helpful and prompt, checkout was easy, and the bill correct.

This is a very well located hotel with a good standard of accommodation. I would stay again but dont think I'll chance the resturant again. This is not a problem as there are plenty of alternatives round the corner.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HospitalityTrav67, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Thank you for having taken the time and effort to put your comments onn Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you again at the Eden Amsterdam American Hotel in the near future.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

My husband and I have just been away for the first time to Amsterdam to celebrate his 50th birthday. So we had no idea about locations or anything really. We booked this through Jet2.com holidays so really had no idea what to expect. ~All I can say is we were not disappointed - if anything delighted. We got a taxi from Central Station as we found this the easiest way to get to the hotel and it only cost 10 euros. People are extremely helpful in Amsterdam and the staff in reception at the Eden American Hotel were extremely pleasant and very helpful as we explained we were first timers to Amsterdam. We stayed for 2 nights only but the next day we were amazed at how nice the breakfast was and the dining room area was very chic with stained glass and chandeliers and the waiting staff bent over backwards for you. Doors are secured on an evening but intercom allows you straight into reception to allow you in and the location is fab so close to Leidsplien Square with the coffee bars and restaurants. We would throughly recommend the Heineken Experience which was great value for money and drinks included. The room in the hotel was extremely clean, maid service daily and was excellent. No problems in this respect. We had a room at the rear but this made no odds because you only use your room as a base as there is so much exploring to do in a short space of time. On departure day you have to vacate your room for 12.00 but the porters put your luggage in a secure lobby for you and are extremely polite. We would both thoroughly recommend this hotel, had no problems an ideal location away from the hustle and bustle of other areas.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We were pleased to notice that you had a good stay and would like to thank you for your kind words. Receiving positive feedback is always a pleasure and I will make sure the hotel staff receives the opportunity to read it. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

What a nice place! You couldnt ask for a better location. Steps from the action of the Leidsplein. An easy walk to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum and just far enough away from the noise and sleaze of Damrak and Centraal Station.

The rooms are tiny. This aint Texas. But the beds are cozy and the fridge is stocked with irresistible goodies especially if you've been visting the coffeeshops. The morning complimentary breakfast is substantial with meats, cheeses, smoked fish and delicious bread. It is served in their famous restaurant which is done in an art deco style with vaulted ceilings.

The rooms have free wireless internet and there is also a bank of desktop computers with printers on the mezannine level where you can check email and surf the net.

The only downside is that being in such close proximity to the Leidseplein there is the occasional screaming and car horns at 2 am when the bars start emptying out. But dont let that stop you, the pros far outweigh this minor disturbance.

For the price I cant imagine a better place to stay in the city

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for having taken the time and effort to put your comments on Tripadvisor. We were pleased to notice that you had a good stay and would like to thank you for your kind words.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Me and my wife stayed for a weekend at this hotel in late October, and I must say I was really impressed. Yes, you can argue that the room and the public areas inside the hotel had seen better days, but the atmosphere with friendly staff and stunning architecture really made the stay worthwhile. Our room was fairly spacey, even though it was probably among the cheaper rooms, and even though the area was lively, we were not troubled by noise in any way.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was good, and with the huge windows we really felt as part of everything happening out on the street. I would say the breakfast was a bit on the expensive side, though, and I have had better for less money on several other hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Just a short note to thank you for your kind words. Comments from our guests whether positive or negative are very important to us and enable us to improve our service.
Receiving positive feedback is always a pleasure and I will make sure the hotel staff receives the opportunity to read it. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hotel is not as good as it looks on the website. I suffer from allergy to dust and my allergy wreaked havoc the 9 days I was there. The gym is small with less than adequate fitness machines. There service was questionable. The first night I ordered room service, glass of wine, soup and salad. They brought the wrong wine and when the waiter went to get the correct one, I noticed that I did not have a spoon so I had to call down for it. By the time it arrived with the wine, my soup was warm. The food was basic with no extras such as salt and pepper. When I tried to book a restaurant for dinner I was told to come back a couple days in advance and when I did, the restaurant we wanted was booked. Probably because the concierge is not there everyday and the poor advice was from the porter. In their favour the concierge did find us a good spot. The dinner menu in the restaurant was a little bazaar - why they stopped serving the likes of hamburgers at 5 pm, I just don't know. Also, there is no options for breakfast. I only wanted toast one morning but had to pay for the entire buffet. Thank goodness Starbuck's wasn't too far away. I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
MRomein, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Here at the hotel we aim to do our very best for every guest, and it is our continuous goal to exceed customer expectations. We can only achieve this by listening and reacting to your valuable comments. We share guest comments throughout the hotel, as we believe that constructive critiques are powerful tools that will only help us learn and improve. We are very sorry that your stay at our hotel did not fully meet your expectations and we sincerely apologise for this. Please be informed that I have spoken to our Food & Beverage Manager and Front Desk Manager to prevent this form happening again.

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Amsterdam American? Share your experiences!