“Average in Amsterdam” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Die Port van Cleve

Save Saved
You added Die Port van Cleve to your Saves list
Die Port van Cleve
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 176 -180, 1012 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #111 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Sacramento, California
“Average in Amsterdam”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel we were informed our room had been upgraded, for which I expressed appreciation for the consideration. The room’s décor and carpeting was definitely dated and reminded me more of what one would expect from in a motel or rather cheap hotel; however, the room was appreciably clean, with several amenities. The first night was comfortable, but the next day we noted the air-conditioning was not working. While it was not terribly hot during that time of the month with the windows open, my wife and I were both suffering from allergies at that time and would have preferred not to have to leave the windows open. We also had quite a bit of Belgium chocolates we wished to keep cool. More importantly, if one prefers (and pays) to sleep quite cool, then it should be provided if at all possible. We filled out a form that is provided in the room if maintenance is needed and left it on the door as instructed, but upon returning that evening we noticed the request slip was still hanging on the door and the air had not been fixed. I reported it to the concierge and rather than offering another room, all we received was a suggestion to use the refrigerator for our chocolates. Mind you, I’m not saying the staff was unpleasant; it’s just that some of them lacked a concerned professionalism and it was disappointing that no accommodation was offered and no repairs done in the remaining two days of our stay.

The breakfasts were included and offered something for everybody and while it would be considered an average tasting fare, the restaurant was clean and the staff polite. The hotel is actually in a fairly convenient location for quite a bit of sightseeing and is particularly close to the Red Light District. If you want a relaxed location or one that is romantic, this is not for you; however, it served our purposes well enough. Most hotels I research and arrange myself, but I admit this was one I actually left up to a travel agent to plan and this I regret doing. I would not stay there again, nor recommend it out of hand, but if it fits your budget best and seems like an ideal location in which to center your touring, then it is a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

929 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the Port van Cleve for four nights. This hotel was selected because of it's proximity to most of the attractions in Amsterdam and the central station for Eurostar. The location was excellent with a 5-10 minute walk from the station, or just two short stops on the tram. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many of the wide range of restaurants and bars in Amsterdam. It is also close to Dam square, the beautiful area around the Westerkerk and 10 minutes from the red light district. There is also a large supermarket and a shopping mall very close by. I would recommend taking the hop on - hop off bus tour first if you are a new visitor and don't know Amsterdam very well. The hotel itself is more than adequate for a short stay. It has a classical look with dark wood and a delft motif in the bedrooms, plus, for art lovers, a reproduction of 'The Night Watch' Rembrandt painting in the foyer. The bathroom is well stocked with towels and toiletries etc. and the coffee making facilities are a bonus. Staff were friendly and welcoming. My only reservation is that the dark wood made the room seem gloomy, so next time I would request a room on a higher floor - we stayed on the third.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite dark during the day. Ask for a room on a high floor where there is likely to be...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Little problems with the hotel when I stayed there. Air conditioning fell apart but I told reception and it was fixed straight away. Room was a good size and the location was great. Staff at reception were somewhat cold towards my group but everyone has bad days or weeks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The outside looks a beautiful hotel!
But what we had inside, wasn't that good. Specially the room we stayed. Unfortunately I didn't see the other rooms, so it would be unfair to give a general criticism.

Because the staff was really sympathy at the reception.

But we got a really tiny room and not comfortable beds at all! For the price....The mattresses it seems pretty old, and after 3 days at hotel I started to have pain in my back of those beds.

Also the room wasn't that clean when we got there.
And the Wifi at the room, just terrible! I think they should provide something better for the guests, specially in this days!

My partner and me are not the kind of person who complains often, but I don't think we would go back there.

I think you pay more for the location, than all!

Stayed July 2014
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed for three nights as part of a pre-booked package with BA. The location is perfect - just across the road from Dam Square, with the quieter Jordaan area just behind it, great for strolling around. The hotel has a traditional feel, with Delft tiling and dark wood, and has a bar, restaurant and coffee shop that serves wonderful warm Dutch apple cake. Our room was on the first floor at the front, and I was a bit concerned about the noise of the trams, but it was fully double-glazed, so no problem. The room was charming, with plenty of storage space (I asked for more coat hangers), a safe, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and air conditioning. The shower is just a 'mixer' type and the bath has no rubber mat and is quite deep, which made getting in and out a bit problematic if, like me, you're a bit unsteady. I'm sure the friendly and helpful staff would supply a mat, if asked. I advise bringing your own hairdryer, as this is a wall-mounted bathroom one, not brilliant. We had a problem with the basin plug, I filled in a card to hang on the door in the morning and it was fixed by the time we returned in the afternoon.

Try to get a deal that include breakfast, as it's excellent, with plenty of the usual choices, plus waffles, pancakes etc. Otherwise it's a bit expensive at 19.50 euros each. We didn't eat in the restaurant as there are so many places nearby, but the menu looked interesting!

The staff were particularly friendly and helpful (lots of football banter!) and we would definitely return to this little gem.

Room Tip: Rooms 121 and 122 on the first floor are a good size and overlooked the main street if you like some...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great location and price. Close to grocery store and all main attractions. Room small but comfortable. Use valet parking! No parking anywhere. Bar and restaurant on the main floor. Friendly and helpful staff. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampstead, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Very close to everything, next to Magna Mall and just one building across the street is the Dam Square. The restaurants, shops and bars are so close. There is a bar downstairs in the hotel. Since we were here for a layover, we just wanted a place to shower, get something to eat and take a bit of site-seeing. Due to the closeness of the hotel we were able to do all that in a very little time. The shuttle is not free, and you have to wait if you decide to take the hotel shuttle and it's a long wait to get here. We decided to take a taxi since we did not have a lot of time. It cost us about 50 euros. If you want to take the train from the airport, you can also do, since there is a stop right at the front of this hotel.

Stayed June 2014

Been to Die Port van Cleve? Share your experiences!