I have been remiss in not reviewing this hotel sooner, and I am very unhappy that I cannot name names of the staff who went the extra mile - actually, many extra miles! I had them written down and have not been able to find that critical piece of paper. The hotel itself was charming. There just were no negatives. I would go back again in a heartbeat. But . . . here's what I have to say about staff. Arrived in Amsterdam via rail from Zurich/Frankfurt. Traveled in a first class car with reservations. Large luggage was in back of the car and carry on was in the rack above us. Long story short, even though we never left our seats, somehow someone made off with my carry on bag which contained gifts from Murano, Burano and Rome (including receipts), electronics for my Mac, my new I Phone, and most awful, personal jewelry which was very precious to me. When I went crying to the conductor, he just shrugged. I guess this is a common occurrence. I was distraught and crying when I got to the hotel. A wonderful person, after checking us in, immediately filed a L & F report with the railroad. She came up to our room and obtained an itemized list and then refiled a detailed report (which is helping me with my insurance claim). She also found all the electronics I needed to enable me to use my computer. Throughout our visit, people went out of their way, in every way. BTW, the breakfast was absolutely outstanding, and once again, the staff was also. We witnessed two very unpleasant persons who were quite unreasonable with the dining room and kitchen staff; they were never anything but cordial, accommodating, and patient with them which their behavior didn't warrant. Kudos to all!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Port van Cleve is a famous Dutch hotel located directly behind the Royal Palace & facing Dam Square. Due its central location, you will find many touristic and cultural sites within walking distance. Hotel Die Port van Cleve has a rich history. Heineken opened its first brewery in this building in 1864. Brasserie ‘De Poort’ is famous for its numbered steaks and Bar-Bodega ‘De Blauwe Parade’ has an unique Delft blue tile fresco dating from 1887. At the beginning of 2012, rooms were soft refurbished and all rooms were redecorated with references to the authentic tile fresco in the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your Die Port van Cleve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Port Van Cleve Hotel Amsterdam
- Die Port Van Cleve Amsterdam
- Cleve Hotel Amsterdam