“A lovely Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Die Port van Cleve

You added Die Port van Cleve to your Saves list
Die Port van Cleve
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 176 -180, 1012 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #128 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Essex
“A lovely Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the Easter Break and found it to be central, very clean, friendly staff who were keen to help. NO complaints! Would recommend staying there if you want a luxury central hotel that provides a traditional dutch twist to its rooms and decor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Filey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in late March. Just behind Dam Square it was well placed for looking round Amsterdam. Breakfast was included and catered for European and British tastes. The room was well appointed but the T.V. Could have used a few more English channels. All that was on offer was BBC1,2, and World. We chose to eat out for dinner as my wife is vegetarian and had a limited choice. Would we stay there again. Most definitely YES

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Egersund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nice hotell With atmosphere. We had one meal in the bar good food. Excelent service there, also regarding other aspects of Our stay in Amsterdam. Rooms where nice with cofee/tea in room. Hotel very Centrallocation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel has a nice decoration, a very friendly staff and free wi fi, that works good. Some rooms are small, but mine was very good. Just a few steps from Dam (the main square), restaurants, shops and all attractions. There is a "tram" stop just in front of the hotel what is very good if you want to use public transportation.
The only thing I didn´t like was the the mattress, that was soft and a little uncomfortable for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over the Easter break.

Positives:

Very central. We didn’t need to take the tram or train at all except to and from the hotel. Everything is walking distance. The hotel itself is very nice. (Entrance etc.).

Negatives

The hotel is currently being renovated. It has a huge white banner hanging over the entire hotel, advertising Levi Jeans. Very tacky. No mention was made of this on the website. My main motivation in booking this hotel was how beautiful it appeared at night in the photos on the website, like a palace.
We were given a twin room. I specified on my booking I wanted a double room. Upon arrival the person working said that there wasn’t a double available but we could change tomorrow. He then proceeded to tell me that the double was tiny etc etc. So of course I said I would stick with the Twin. Since this was supposed to be a romantic weekend, it kind of put a strain on things.

The room was very old. Rusty sink, with scratches in the basin with dirt inside. We stayed 4 nights and room service didn’t replace the soap or the shampoo once. We used both the shampoo and the body lotion on the first day and they were left empty for the rest of the time. The towels were stained and very small.

Upon arrival we received 4 little boxes with a disposable shower cap, soap, sewing kit and something else. We used the soap and I moved the little boxes to the side desk on the first evening & after room service the first morning they were taken and never returned. I later saw that these items could be “purchased” for EUR 4.50 but weren’t allowed to be taken from the room.

While showering, the water went from boiling hot to freezing cold every 20 seconds. It was quite uncomfortable. The hairdryer was impossible. The towels were tiny and had a distinct burnt smell.
There wasn’t enough space for one person to put their clothes in the tiny cupboard. The fridge was tiny and at the side of the cupboard. The tiny table which had been crammed into the corner disabled the ability to open the fridge and had to be moved – which meant it was in the way.

The view was a grey courtyard.

The room was freezing cold and you can hear every move being made above you. The cleaning ladies made a lot of noise walking around the hotel (in their defence we enjoy a sleep in, so they probably didn’t think people would still be sleeping at 10am).
All of this would have been ok if it was listed as a 2 or 3 star hotel and didn’t cost more than EUR 180 per night. The hotel is overpriced. On top of your booking, expect to pay about EUR 10 per night city tax.

Anyway, up until checkout, the staff was very friendly. Upon checking out I mentioned a few things which I wasn’t pleased with to the friendly man working there. He took my concerns seriously and suddenly this young lady came over to me, and started arguing about every detail of my comments. The conversation which I was having with the man at the desk was very friendly until she came. When she started speaking arrogantly to me, I decided to leave it and told her to please give me my receipt and I left.

Oh and I don't want to forget this. We left our lugagage with the hotel (upon checking out) for the day as our flight was in the evening on Monday, 1st April. They gave us a ticket for our luggage and upon returning to collect it, she took our tickets & we were ushered into a dark room where she told us we had to find our bags ourselves. She said we had to locate our luggage ourselves and didn’t even check that we took the right luggage. Not really a safe way of storing luggage and I would expect this kind of “non service” at a Hostel but not at a 4 star hotel..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a trip to this hotel. We were dissapointed to learn we had been given a twin room for our wedding anniversary which was very cold and quite small.
The staff were pleasant and the atmosphere of the hotel was exactly what we were looking for.
I would recommend this hotel if they Installed heating in the bathroom as at this time it was unbearable to use.
If you do book to stay here ensure the hotel understand what you are expecting from your room or you may be dissapointed.
The location was excellent and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March 2013. The location is excellent just behind the palace off Dam Square, the room was spotless, tv, wifi,tea/coffee, fridge. The meals were expensive so we chose to eat out with plenty of choice all around. The staff were very helpful and always looking to please. We went to Amsterdam for a sightseeing trip with the hotel as a clean, warm, safe base and it was that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Die Port van Cleve? Share your experiences!