“Absolutely fine” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Die Port van Cleve

You added Die Port van Cleve to your Saves list
Die Port van Cleve
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 176 -180, 1012 SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #118 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here in September 2007 for business trip and it went well. The restaurant downstairs is amazing and I also won a bottle of wine with my steak (I'm not keen on wine but my colleagues like it) The hotel was absolutely fine and well situated.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JuHaHe66

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

After reading previous reviews I went with low expectations and unfortunately these were met! Great location approx 3 min walk from Dam Square with tram stop right outside. However the rooms are small and quite dingy. As per previous reviews my room was terribly stuffy in the warm weather - I had a room facing the internal atrium. However this was preferable to my colleague who had a street facing room that was very noisy - with the air con not working the window needed to be open!
For the prices charged I just don't think that this hotel is good enough. I was going to rate as 1 but moved to a 2 as I found the staff helpful and courteous.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WhiteShirt76
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I booked a 4 night break in Amsterdam for August 2012. I booked through BMI Baby. Since booking the flights BMI Baby have pulled their service from Belfast City Airport. As a result of this all other airlines prices have rocketed and i've had to cancel this trip. I used Laterooms/com to book accommodation at the stame time as booking the flights. I thought Die Van Port Cleve looked like a reputable hotel to stay in and so I booked 4 nights accommodation with them. Since I have had to cancel my trip Die Van Port Cleve have refused to refund me with the 396 euro it cost for the room i'd booked.

I thought this would have been seen as exceptional circumstances as the airline have cancelled the flights so therefore this is no fault of mines but Die Van Port Cleve did not see it that way and are still refusing to reimburse me the room fee.

I am taking this as a blessing in disguise as should something have went wrong during my stay i hate to think how unaccommodationg they would have been then if this is a taster of the appalling customer service i've received before leaving the ground.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SIOBHAN S
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The location is superb, with most attractions within walking distance.
However, the rooms are too small, everything is cramped, there was poor soundproofing and no double glazing on windows overlooking the main street. They were still refurbishing despite signs hoping they would be finished by now.
Breakfast was average, the restaurant was closed most evenings. Definately not a 4 * hotel.

Room Tip: inner rooms are quieter, make sure you are away from the stairs as they are noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davecarpenter_12
warwick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

What an awful hotel which is a 2 star masquerading as a 4 star.
The nasty is the staff, in particular the barman who when we tried to go in the bar said it was "full" when half the tables were empty and he was just not able to deal with more than 3 tables. Have you ever been to a 4 star hotel when you are not allowed in the bar? We questione dwhy and were told "if i say it is full it is full! The management were not interested.
At breakfast not only was the scrambled egg terrible (powdered?) the bolied egg was cold and when we asked for a warmer one we were told that that one of them was "warm enough". We asked for some more and they never came! The trouble to get a spoon was just a minor annoyance together with staff never refilling the milk tank on the coffee machine so it didn't work.
The room we stayed in had just been refitted but the door rattled in the wind, the shower temp changed every thirty seconds as did the pressure. It was a very cheap shower unit and the bathroom quickly became a swimming pool as the shower fired in every direction. The tv was the smallest I had ever seen in a hotel room and wasnt watchable from the bed.
Unsurprisingly I wont be going again.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FishingTraveller
Lakewood, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We arrived sleep deprived and ready to check in to our room and freshen up. We were told that we had to wait 5 more hours to check in, which is apparently common in Europe. We spent some time walking and then were told finally our room was ready. We took the scary 'lift' up but much to our surprise, we opened a room where someone was obviously still in. We promptly told the staff who apologized and got us another room in about 30 minutes. The room was just alright, no air conditioning due to the soft remodel,and the bathtub was about a foot off the ground. The location was great though. Walking distance to just about everything, especially the grocery store just about 2 minutes walk turning right out of the entrance. We also walked to the train station with our luggage no problem. The bar attached to the hotel was also a great experience. Despite the early problems, I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie C
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Second trip to Dam and the best! As we took mum and dad with us this time in celebrations for bithdays upon booking we Upgraded to 1st floor Superior Rooms which over looked the palace. Rooms were basic but clean. View was excellent. Staff very friendly and breakfast efficient and tasty! Location great too and being that its situated on one main tram line you cant get lost!!Great two night stay over all, well worth a visit even if just to look into the bar and see the charm of the place. No complaints here!

Room Tip: if you can get one, upgade to the superior rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family