“Pleasant enough, but not 4 stars” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Memphis EMB Hotel

Save Saved
You added Memphis EMB Hotel to your Saves list
Memphis EMB Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Lairessestraat 87, 1071 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #178 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Melbourne, Australia
“Pleasant enough, but not 4 stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a standard room on the tram line side. Initially the noise was noticeable but you got accustomed to it. The hotel is old and tired, but it does have a lift. The room was large and basic with a large, comfortable and clean bed. It also had a safe. The shower was over the bath. No shampoo, conditioner or clothes line. Liquid soap in dispensers were over the bath and basin. A hair dryer was provided.

Like other reviewers we also had a visit from a mouse which ate some chocolate out of my opened carry on luggage!

Breakfast was adequate although the scrambled eggs were always nearly cold. However, there were boiled eggs too. The hotel restaurant was closed on Sunday and Monday nights. We dined
the three nights in local restaurants only 5 minutes away. Good quality and nice food and not too expensive..

There is a little supermarket in the same area where you can buy organic food and drink. On the
last day we discovered a "normal" supermarket in the next block away. We bought drinks and put them in the refrigerator in the room.

At reception you can buy both a 24 hour travel card (7.50 Euros) or 48 hour travel card for about
13 Euros. We bought a 24 hour card and used it from midday to midday. Much better value than buying single tickets which I believe are 2.80 Euros.

The reception staff were pleasant enough and it was nice to be provided with umbrellas each
time we needed one.

The taxi to the airport was 38 Euros which seems to be the standard price.

Would we stay there again - probably, but I'd also see what else was around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

It's a good hotel, not close from the city, but near to the public transportation. There is not facilities for a 4-stars hotel although has a nice entrance, there is not much in. The breakfast was ok and the rooms are also ok, nothing special, regular size, nothing so clean though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I enjoyed the location a lot. Since it's not in the city center, it's very quiet which made for high quality sleeping. There's a tram stop half a block away from the hotel which takes you directly to the city center and museums. The breakfast served in the hotel is basic but high quality. However, the hotel was not the cleanest. It's clearly an older building. The carpets need to be replaced for sure. Also, in our bathroom, I noticed a smell of urine, like the last guest had missed the toilet and then the housekeeping staff somehow missed cleaning it up. A couple of the plug outlets weren't working, either. Also, one of the reasons we booked the hotel was that per it's website, there's access to the Personal Health Club next to the hotel (it's actually a ten minute walk down the street, but that's no big deal). But, when we asked the receptionist about the access to the health club, she had no idea what we were talking about. When we pointed out that it's ON their website, she (sorta) realized what we were talking about and sent us down the street to the health club. We had to pay to use to the health club, though, and the health club has no connection with this hotel to easily charge access to your room. All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is an older, somewhat outdated hotel. The upside is the location: it's very close to Museumplein and a 20 minutes or so walk to Leidesplein. The hotel rooms are clean but small & old. The location is great but I'd stay in a different hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel. It is right on the tram route - very easy to get to from Central Station. In a very nice neighborhood with very good restaurants and a park. Easy to get a tram and go to all the museums and nightlife. When the day is through it is a nice quiet and relaxing place to come back to away from the crowds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

As this was my first time in Amsterdam, I wanted to stay at a hotel that was small, quaint and had a "local" feel. After many reviews and research, I decided that the Memphis Hotel fit the bill perfectly.

My stay in Amsterdam lasted 17 days and my time at the Memphis Hotel was fantastic.

Upon arrival (7am) I was quickly checked in and was very surprise to find that the room was ready. Once up to the room I found it beautifully prepared. The floors were clean and the bathroom was spotless. There were plenty of towels, soap and drinking glasses. The window was open and a nice breeze drifted into the room. I found that to be a very nice touch.

The room was clean and spacious. My room was located on the fifth floor and the window overlooked a beautiful courtyard and the view of the surrounding area was gorgeous.

The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. They spoke fluent Dutch and English. I didn't have that many interactions with them but the ones I did were very pleasant.

I would definitely stay at the Memphis Hotel again and look forward to on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've debated long and hard about whether to write a review because I know what I will say will be damaging, but hopefully Hotel Management will see this, take the constructive criticism, and address their sanitation issue ASAP. I recently stayed a this hotel and paid a substantial amount and I concur with other reviewers that it's not worth that amount (this is a 3 star at best), plus the other random extras such as the 50 extra Euros charged on your credit card, and the surprise Hotel taxes at the end of your stay which kinda dampen your appreciation of the place.
The carpet indeed needs to be changed and the staff needs to improve their hospitality skills. Other than that, the location is great, think residential area near a great park (Vondelpark) and the Museums, also an easy 15-20min walk to the center or 5-10min tram ride (the #16) if you prefer not walking.

BUT...

I got woken up my first night (at nearly 3am) with the sound of crunching inside my handbag which I had left open and on the floor. A MOUSE was attempting to eat an unoped candy bar that I had in my bag. Needless to say I was grossed out, shaken and appalled. I immediately called Reception, with as much calm as I could muster to inform them of the situation. The sole working person offered to help change my rooms immediately. I accepted and ask that he check that room before giving it to someone else. He commented that he was alone.

The next nights, I slept with all my lights on, the TV on and all my bags closed and off the floor.

What saddened and suprised me is that I didn't hear a peep from management. Please know that I was neither looking for a refund nor a breakfast voucher - I only used the place to sleep - but a "I'm sorry you've experienced this and we're going to do our utmost to correct this situation" would have gone a long way. This lack of reaction tells me that the problem is recurrent, plus of course there's never just "a mouse"; if you see one, there are many.

After the incident occured, I spent my sleepless night sifting through reviews and found at least 5 with a reference to mice (including one in Italian where the reviewer is referencing a "topo"). This is just not acceptable. I think some of the bare minimums one expects from a hotel room are cleanliness and safety.

I should've of course left asap as soon as the incident occured, but in my immediate haze, I chose to believe that it was a fluke, especially since there are so many glowing reviews.

Anyway, make of this what you will. I've reviewed this on Expedia as well where I made my booking. My stay in Amsterdam was fabulous and I didn't let this incident put a damper on it, but I would hate that anyone else experience something similar and that this issue never gets addressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Memphis EMB Hotel? Share your experiences!