“Nice Hotel - Nice People - Nice Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memphis EMB Hotel

You added Memphis EMB Hotel to your Saves list
Memphis EMB Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Lairessestraat 87, 1071 NX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #192 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Nice Hotel - Nice People - Nice Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel. It is right on the tram route - very easy to get to from Central Station. In a very nice neighborhood with very good restaurants and a park. Easy to get a tram and go to all the museums and nightlife. When the day is through it is a nice quiet and relaxing place to come back to away from the crowds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

As this was my first time in Amsterdam, I wanted to stay at a hotel that was small, quaint and had a "local" feel. After many reviews and research, I decided that the Memphis Hotel fit the bill perfectly.

My stay in Amsterdam lasted 17 days and my time at the Memphis Hotel was fantastic.

Upon arrival (7am) I was quickly checked in and was very surprise to find that the room was ready. Once up to the room I found it beautifully prepared. The floors were clean and the bathroom was spotless. There were plenty of towels, soap and drinking glasses. The window was open and a nice breeze drifted into the room. I found that to be a very nice touch.

The room was clean and spacious. My room was located on the fifth floor and the window overlooked a beautiful courtyard and the view of the surrounding area was gorgeous.

The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. They spoke fluent Dutch and English. I didn't have that many interactions with them but the ones I did were very pleasant.

I would definitely stay at the Memphis Hotel again and look forward to on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've debated long and hard about whether to write a review because I know what I will say will be damaging, but hopefully Hotel Management will see this, take the constructive criticism, and address their sanitation issue ASAP. I recently stayed a this hotel and paid a substantial amount and I concur with other reviewers that it's not worth that amount (this is a 3 star at best), plus the other random extras such as the 50 extra Euros charged on your credit card, and the surprise Hotel taxes at the end of your stay which kinda dampen your appreciation of the place.
The carpet indeed needs to be changed and the staff needs to improve their hospitality skills. Other than that, the location is great, think residential area near a great park (Vondelpark) and the Museums, also an easy 15-20min walk to the center or 5-10min tram ride (the #16) if you prefer not walking.

BUT...

I got woken up my first night (at nearly 3am) with the sound of crunching inside my handbag which I had left open and on the floor. A MOUSE was attempting to eat an unoped candy bar that I had in my bag. Needless to say I was grossed out, shaken and appalled. I immediately called Reception, with as much calm as I could muster to inform them of the situation. The sole working person offered to help change my rooms immediately. I accepted and ask that he check that room before giving it to someone else. He commented that he was alone.

The next nights, I slept with all my lights on, the TV on and all my bags closed and off the floor.

What saddened and suprised me is that I didn't hear a peep from management. Please know that I was neither looking for a refund nor a breakfast voucher - I only used the place to sleep - but a "I'm sorry you've experienced this and we're going to do our utmost to correct this situation" would have gone a long way. This lack of reaction tells me that the problem is recurrent, plus of course there's never just "a mouse"; if you see one, there are many.

After the incident occured, I spent my sleepless night sifting through reviews and found at least 5 with a reference to mice (including one in Italian where the reviewer is referencing a "topo"). This is just not acceptable. I think some of the bare minimums one expects from a hotel room are cleanliness and safety.

I should've of course left asap as soon as the incident occured, but in my immediate haze, I chose to believe that it was a fluke, especially since there are so many glowing reviews.

Anyway, make of this what you will. I've reviewed this on Expedia as well where I made my booking. My stay in Amsterdam was fabulous and I didn't let this incident put a damper on it, but I would hate that anyone else experience something similar and that this issue never gets addressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay and quickly sorted out a problem with our booking (we had booked two adjoining rooms, but only one room had been allocated to 4 adults). The rooms were clean, although the bathrooms were dated. We had no major problems but there were several small 'niggles' during our stay (no towels when we arrived, shower head that had a life of its own, no maid service one day, air conditioning not efficient...). The rooms were an average to small size for a city hotel.

Yikes - I read a review from another traveller about mice in the hotel whilst I was sitting in our room!! Although we didn't see any mice, there were traps under the beds in one of the rooms and as we needed to use the emergency stairs & normal staircase due to a false fire alarm we saw several traps here too. From this I would say If you don't like mice, this hotel may not be for you!

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, and as there are some lovely bakeries and cafe's in the area and the weather was good for us this was the right choice. The hotel arranged a taxi to the airport which cost us €38 which seemed a reasonable price and saved us the hassle of catching trams & trains with our luggage.

The hotel is in a lovely area and conveniently situated for the Musuemplein area of Amsterdam. I would certainly stay in the same area when we come back again, but would try a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel of course, but very far from central Amsterdam and the rooms need better lighting, it's very dim in the rooms plus the Internet is incredibly slow. I don't recommend this hotel !! Too expensive.

• Stayed August 2013
Bruxelles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Memphis hotel is a calm hotel in a plaisant place near the mueums square (three tram stops before). The quarter is nice with a lot of small restaurants, nice bars and places where to take the breakfast. There are possibilites also to take the breakfast at the hotel.
The romms are big and clean. The staff is efficient and welcome.
A good place for some nights in Amsterdam near the old city but much more calm !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This was my daughter and I first trip to amsterdam and found the Memphis hotel a very pleasant experience. The staff in the hotel were very helpful and friendly. Our room on the fifth floor was very clean and the beds were very comfortable.the hotel is about ten minutes away from all the major attractions on the tram which you can get right outside the hotel.All in all a great experience for our first time in Amsterdam and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Memphis EMB Hotel? Share your experiences!