“It was a wonderful experience staying here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #94 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“It was a wonderful experience staying here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

This was my first trip to Amsterdam and was nervous about choosing a hotel online, but lucked out--the old European look and atmosphere was beautiful, staff couldn't have been more helpful. As a tired travelor I wondered if all of the street noise would be noticeable inside the hotel. Not at all--as soon as those doors closed to the street it was another world--elegant and quiet. It is very centrally located for tourism. Rooms were elegant.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
SOUTHAMPTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

It was our anniversay when we stayed there and we were greeted with a "Happy Anniversary" from a Manager, given vouchers for a free drink and upgraded to a superior room. The room was marvellous overlooking the street at the side of the hotel. Unfortunately on the second night we stayed there the air conditioning became faulty and so we were moved to a room overlooking Dam Square which was also a lovely room.

The breakfast at the hotel was amazing, food and Champagne was plentiful and good and I would recommend the experience to anyone. The Winter Garden where breakfast was taken was one of the most stunning rooms I have ever eaten in.

The location was marvellous with lovely restaurants and bars all around.

The staff were wonderful, even at the last moment when I realised I had locked my key into my suitcase together with passports and tickets and they got someone to come down to reception and break open the padlock for me.

Easy walk to and from the train station. The garden bar was lovely and relaxing and the geniver bar just along the walkway at the back of the hotel is definitely worth a visit!

If we ever came to Amsterdam again we would definitely stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
wigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Booked this hotel for 3 nights for my 40th Birthday celebration with my husband and some friends. After reading the reviews I was really stressing about our arrival as I was the one who had chosen it. I needn't have been worried. We arrived at 10 a.m after an early flight and just wanted somewhere to store our luggage. Two out of our three rooms were ready and we were able to check-in there and then. We were upgraded at no charge into executive rooms in the Amsterdam Wing, it was gorgeous! Big rooms, wooden floors, modern furnishings and bathrooms, bathrobes, slippers, lovely toiletries the list goes on. When we arrived back later in the day I had a Birthday card, large bottle of sparkling water and a tin of biscuits left in our room from the hotel staff which was a really nice gesture. Breakfast was another treat the restaurant it was served in was beautiful and had a huge selection of hot and cold food, we had this included in our rate which I would recommend as they charge 28 euros for it which is quite expensive. All the staff were really friendly and we spent a lot of time in the Summer Garden bar trying the cocktails!! It was quite expensive but worth it for a special occasion and a really lovely setting. The hotel location on Dam Square is probably the best you can get in Amsterdam, everywhere we visited was very close by and within walking distance. We had a fantastic time and got a really good deal, 3 nights for the price of 2 including breakfast for £265 per couple, you pay more for a good b & b, so no complaints from us!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Lawrence, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

As many other reviewers have stated this hotel only has 5 stars areas - it's location and the Wintergarden for breakfast. I spent 6 nights here while on a business trip. All I can comment on is the 50% of the rooms that were built in the 1950's. For US readers, they are like old, worn out mid-chain hotels in the US. The biggest issue is that while you have an air conditioner, it cannot drop the temperature more than a degree or two. Therefore, I spent the entire time with the blinds closed, everything off in the room that was possible and the AC running full blast and still could not sleep at night due to the heat. The window only opens about 2 inches so it was not possible to go that route either. Lots of promises made by the staff to send someone to fix the AC, but no one came the entire time I was there. Incredibly small bathroom, and no wardrobe space at all. I travel very light but could still not put close in the closet - I had to live out of a suitcase.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

The location is the only good thing about this hotel. My husband and I were meeting our friends who booked the hotel the exact same way, but we didn't get the same type of room. They checked in before us and I knew from other reviews you have to ask for a refurbished room so we did the same. Then the receptionist said that would be 30 more euros a night, so we declined. Later to find out our friends did the same thing and got the upgrade, guess it was just luck.
Arriving to our room was a little dissapointing, little did we know it was the highlight. The room was dated which we knew it was going to be by not getting the refurbished, but it looked clean. So we walked into the bathroom and that was the real dissapointing thing, it looked like an old YMCA bathroom, it actually had stalls. I needed to go to the bathroom and I walked into the shower. (I've attached a picture)
The only good thing is the location if you like staying in the tourist area which I love, the royal palace is directly in front of you, there huge department store is directly on your right and it's easy to find on a map.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This is the first time i have ever felt complelled to write a hotel review. I have stayed in hotels in Asia/N. America / Europe on a regular basis but this was truly the most disapointing Hotel i have ever stayed in. Been to Amsterdam many times in recent years and always avoided the Krasnapolsky due to the mixed reviews on this site but due to my usual hotel the Raddison Blu being full i decided to chance the Krasnapolsky !!! have just returned from 3 nights at the krasnapolsky, truly horrendous room, 2 star at best, i paid extra for upgraded room but if this was an upgrade i dread to think what the standard rooms are like , room was at rear of hotel , no view whatsoever, air conditioning unit sounded like a formula one car but actually didn't output any cool air , a horrendous "stale" smell in the room which would not go away (i placed an air freshner in the room and even it seemed incapable of masking the odour) badly outdated tiny room ( i booked a double but the bed was about 3ft wide , ,perhaps this was a "grand hotel" 30 years or so ago but certainly is not a 5 star hotel, if based in central London i believe this hotel would be classed around 2-3 stars, staff were clueless rude and unhelpful , over 30 mins taken to check in and even longer to check out as they asked me to pay for breakfasts i had not taken and then when i asked to see the receipts they "realised" it was a different room, i asked the concierge to book me on the airport shuttle , his response was "why dont you walk to train station ( there was torrential rain at the time )

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Stayed at Grand Krasnapolsky for 3 nights in May10 around 160 Euros a night on a long weekend trip to Amsterdam. The hotel is located in the centre of the main tourist area and facing the Naational monument and Dam Square. Unbeatable location !!

Its a convinient 10 minute walk on Damrak from Centraal station where the shuttle train to Schipol arrives. Several trams also stop at Dam which is convinient to get around.

The rooms are luxurious and I specially enjoyed the lounge facing the Dam square. Madame Tussauds is across the road which is convinient specially due to the long queues. Other tourist areas such as Ronkin and the infamous red light district are a few minutes on foot. A must try is the food outlet on Dam called Mannekenpis which has long queues for the fries.

Overall a fantastic hotel for enjoying the best of Dutch hospitality.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!