“Perfect location, great hotel, fabulous breakfast and high tea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Bookmark
You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #94 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Southwest Missouri
“Perfect location, great hotel, fabulous breakfast and high tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I vacationed to Europe to visit my in-laws along with my husband, who is Dutch in August 2009. We stayed mainly in the Rotterdam area but took a weekend trip to tour the city of Amsterdam and got to stay in the Krasnapolsky. This hotel is on Dam Square, which, if you've never been to Amsterdam, is the middle of the action. You want to be on it or near it. Everything is walking distance in Amsterdam, but this hotel is right in the thick of it. We took the train in and walked from the Central Station with our small luggage/backpacks. Some poor souls were wandering through the streets with their huge suitcases, not recommended, the streets are twisty, cobblestoned in places, rough, holey, and sometimes altogether dangerous for people on foot, let alone people lugging their life's possessions along with them, take a cab if you've got a bunch of stuff. I don't even know if there is parking, I wouldn't suggest driving in Amsterdam unless you're pretty seasoned to bikes, pedestrians, trams, trains, cars, whatever, going every direction at the same time, mainly headed at you it seems. The hotel lobby is lovely, photos of the crowned prince and his wife Maxima don the walls. Check in took at least 20 minutes and we didn't have any line, it just took that long. My mother in law was doing the talking and she is a native Dutch speaker so the language barrier was not the issue. It just took forever, but we finally got our keys. The rooms were very nice. Rooms 210 and 211, face a brick wall, but whatever, we didn't care. The hotel has a lot of nice wood furnishings, a large bed (even for USA standards, this bed was huge) and a nice bathroom, the bedding is divine, plush down pillow top comforter, nice pillows, bath robe in the room, and this was just a basic room, not fancy. The toilet paper is what I'd refer to as personal napkins....they are not on a roll, and sort of are like bifold paper towels, only tiny, so you might be surprised with the tiny toilet napkins, but that is a European thing I guess...whatever. They do give you very nice citrusy scented bath products. There is a safe in the room. We got passes for buy one get one free drinks in the bar - which is nice. Order a cheap drink first, then get your second drink free. margaritas are like $12.00 US at the bar, so order a heineken first $4.00 US and then get your free margarita! We toured the city and the hotel was always at our crossroads, so periodically we'd go to the hotel for the bathroom and to drop off souvenirs (since you normally have to pay for toilets in Europe, or there are none for the public, outside free standing male public no door urinals, which were funny.). We went to high tea the day of our arrival downstairs in the hotel restaurant, and sat by the windows facing Dam square watching the swarms of people move about. It was blissful. The high tea comes with looseleaf tea in two varieties, a myriad of petit fors, finger sandwiches, chocolates, and crumpets, and champagne, Well worth your money. Also worth the money, the breakfast buffet in the Winter garden restaurant. Oh my gosh. After a week in Europe this American was excited about all you can eat (laugh but it's true, we like our free refills and all you can eat buffets, and no I'm not a big person, I just like a variety). This buffet had everyting, bacon, eggs, toast, waffles, cheeses, fruit, breads, milk, many juices, and champagne. I made a mimosa (champagne + Orange Juice) and a German guy stared me down like I was a moron for putting juice in my champagne, then I saw him do the same, and then suddenly the whole room had them and we were out of champagne.

So, things to remember, get the breakfast, it's worth it, use the coupons in the bar but get a cheap drink first to make the second one really count, the high tea is also awesome.

The staff's nametags have little flags to show what languages they speak, and in our experience, some people working there weren't native Dutch, most people working in Amsterdam as a whole seemed to be from somewhere else, my in laws ordered dinner in Dutch somewhere and the waiter didn't get it until I said it in English to the guy, I ordered in plain english and he had no trouble.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We booked from Friday to Monday into this hotel and was from the work go very disappointed. We arrived to be told the hotel is over booked. What is the use in booking two months in advance if they are going to give your room to someone else? We then had to settle for a twin room after many words and arguments for the first night and were told we’ll be moved the next day to a king room as booked and paid for. They couldn’t refund us the difference for the Friday night “because we’ve already paid”. How does this work? We were checked in and sent up to a single room first, had to go back to reception again and was then moved and checked into a twin room. It took us close to 60min to check in and actually get into the twin room eventually. I have to say the hotel offered us two breakfast coupons for the next day for the trouble. They took ‘n credit card swipe the Friday evening for extras that might be used but we found ourselves locked out of our room the Saturday evening because they said they had no credit card authorization from us so they blocked the room. Obviously they did not transfer it to the new room they moved us to on the Saturday. Again I had to walk down to reception, spend 30min to resolve the issue and to explain that they should have transferred the credit card details. We checked out the Monday morning. When I checked my credit card statement on the Tuesday back in the UK I noticed the Hotel deducted almost £80 for extras used where we didn’t use anything extra in the hotel. Again I had to contact the hotel to sort this out and after a 30min telephone call I was advised that the money will be refunded as they made a mistake.
The good points for this hotel were the location and the rooms which was stylish, clean and comfortable. This might only be because we ended up in the new part of the hotel. Overall we were left with a feeling of disappointment as I had to spend a lot of time sorting out something I booked way in advance not to have issues on the day. Little did I know the issues would be spread across the weekend of our stay there! We left Amsterdam loving the city but would make sure not to stay at this hotel again. There are just as many other good hotels in the city center that could make life easier on your holiday.

Russia, Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

very convinient central locaton. not very coizy standard rooms. average size: neither big nor small. clean and simple bathroom. Hotel is a little bit shabby in general. it's quite big hotel so sometimes to get the room it takes 5 minutes walk from reseption desk. We had not pleasant view to the courtyard from the 2nd floor. unpretentious place for city discovering.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

The hotel was great in everyway except the minor issue of queues at the front desk nearly all of the time..... but its not enough to outway all the good things this hotel has to offer. The staff are all polite and helpful, the hotel is clean and very stunning in decor and the rooms are fantastic. We did stay in the newest part of the hotel and everything was beyond our expectations, even the security was on point.
Breakfast was included in our package, we wouldnt have paid for it otherwise as it is expensive and in my opinion not worth the money but it was tasty and there was a good variety of food to accomodate anyones taste.
Location was amazing, close to everything, could not have been any better!!

Overall this was a lovely hotel and it made our vacation everything we wanted it to be and more. A little pricey but def worth the extra pennies. Would recommend to anybody, 100%

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

we stayed here on a 2-1 lastminute.com deal. If we had paid full price for this hotel i would not have been happy. As it was, my boyfriend and I where very lucky, we waited a very long time at reception to check in behind some very annoyed guests, we took pity on the young man on reception who 'upgraded' us from the usualy lastminute.com rooms. So beware those who book through lastminute do not get to see the hotels best!!

As it turned out our room in the royal wing was lovely. This made our holiday, had we been in one of the poorer rooms the long queues, often rude hotel staff, usless concierge and the fact we where locked out of our room every day of our stay might have got annyoing. On saying that this hotel has one of the best locations anyone could ask for when visiting Amsterdam,, just dont pay full price and make sure your nice to the recpetion staff you never knwo what you might get!!

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

The hotel is situated in a perfect location and we were really looking forward to our "5 star deluxe" hotel as quoted on last minute.com. It looked really grand as we checked in, just what we were expecting however, we were packed off to the other side of the hotel into what I can only describe as nice Travel lodge rooms, yes they were very clean but that's about all - no 5 star quality about it at all. The only benefit was that we booked our room on a 'buy 1 night get another free' which cost £154. If I had paid £154 for 2 nights stay here I would have put a complaint in about the mis-leading advertising of a 5 star deluxe accommodation. Only stay here if you can get a bargin, as perfect location, friendly staff. Breakfast is a rip off at 22 euros each!!

GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights, found the hotel is best location in town:
1. Five minutes walking from central station
2. "Red light" about 2 minutes walking
3. China town about 3 minutes right by "Red light"
4. Shopping: Big Dept. store right next to the hotel at Dam square, the opposite end of the Dam square is the famous shopping street, 100++ store.
5. Behind the Royal Palace is the huge supper market

Traveled many Euro big cities, the room is relatively large, services are ok, we have a 18 month boy, require a crib, called in to reserve a crib, but been told that “the room is not assigned, hence cannot reserve the crib, but should not have any problems”. We are little worried. But After checking in, the crib had been brought it to the room right away. Never had any issue at all, very happy.
Overall, I agreed we all the reviewers’ comments, but we felt we are very happy with this hotel:
I totally agrred that the hotel is not “5 stars”, but “5 stars” to me is depending on what I am paying, if I am paying for “3 stars” rate in Amsterdam, then I rate this hotel “5 stars” based on what I am paying and getting.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!