“Clean Hotel in Ideal location but not 5 Star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #93 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
“Clean Hotel in Ideal location but not 5 Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Got the hotel through Lastminute.com as one of its 'top secret hotels". Paid $153 (€173) which was a good price of a nice hotel in a central location. Room was clean and spacious but stuck at the back of the hotel in rooms I suspect are reserved for conference guests. Staff were friendly and helpful but there were ques at the front desk at times. Breakfast in the Winter Garden was good but not exceptional and cost (with discount) £19 (€22). Food in the restaurant was good but again not exceptional and pricey. This is a 3 to 4 star hotel, certainly not 5 star. In conclusion, for what I paid I got a clean and well appointed room in a hotel with ideal location. I was happy with my buy but if I'd paid anything like full price expecting 5 star luxury I would have been disappointed..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I was sceptical about staying at this hotel considering some of the negative feedbacks. However, I can say that we had a lovely time here. All the standard rooms were fully booked so we were upgraded for free in the 'Amsterdam Wing' of the hotel, which appears to be the most newest part of the hotel. The room was lovely and spacious and well equipped. The bed was very comfortable, so nice that we slept in every morning!
We had to wait about ten minutes when we arrived, but then there are cues wherever you go, so not sure why people keep going on about having to wait. The hotel had four members of staff on at the time and we never arrived until after10pm. So I think that this is pretty good. Location is also superb, I would for sure return to this hotel.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Absolutely the worst hotel experince I have had in 40 years of travelling. To talk about everything that went wrong would take way too long; but these are the highlights:
- room not ready for check in until 5.45pm
- asked the desk manager for a quiet room; he assured me it was. When I was shown to the room, I was unhappy with it and went back to the front desk to be told that they couldn't move me.
- the disco over the road played music so loud until 4.00am that rest, let alone sleep, was impossible. The desk manager had to know about the disco but, of course failed to mention it to me.
- the check in lines were endless; there is no indication as to how customers are to queue so that you can be in line for 15 minutes and another customer will go straight up to the counter and will be helped.
- I had prepaid in full and yet was presented with a bill for the room

I could go on but you get the picture. Never again! The worst run hotel with the worst staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
sjn419
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

my sister and I asked them if we could use the minibar fridge to store our own drinks/food so they came and cleaned out the fridge. Long story short, I found out they charged us for everything that was in the minibar and refused to refund the money. Crooks.

Stayed March 2007
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Stayed for 3 night bed and breakfast in this hotel. Cannot fault it at all. Friendly staff when checking in and out. Bedroom large with huge comfortable bed. Tea/coffee making facilities, mini bar, trouser press and flat screen tv. What more could you ask for and the breakfast in the winter garden was fabulous all the food you could think of and more. Fresh salmon, mackeral, eggs benedict, cereal, fruit juice, yoghurts, cheese, bacon, hash brown, ham and several different types of bread. Hotel right in the middle of dam square and within walking distance to everywhere, 10 minutes takes you to the station and red light district. Plenty of shops and restaurants all around. What I would say is if you book this hotel get breakfast included as it will cost you 25 euro per person if you dont. Would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

First off my ratings on here are based on me getting a fantastic rate (about 1/3rd compared to the full price) for the stay.

Anyway, on with the review...

I'm sure at one point this was a beautiful and indeed grand hotel, but now it's a bit like my friends granny - boobs around her stomach, still dressed in her 70's clothes and reminiscing about the past.

Unfortunately theres not a lot my mates granny can do about that and thats about as far as I want to go with this analogy, but the hotel really has no excuses.

Krasnopolsky is in prime land in the dead centre of touristville-Amsterdam. Location wise you probably can't beat it. The check in, whilst polite and professional, is busy and could do with extra staffing during peak periods but it's nothing major.

My room was a typically sized hotel room (not your standard postage stamp size Dutch idea of a room) with a fantastic, very comfortable super king bed. Facilities like a decent size flat screen tv (strangely "gurgley".. like a fish tank), in room safes, trouser press etc provided all the usual requirements.

The bathroom is accessed through what I honestly first assumed was a double cupboard door. It reveals the most splendid example of a preserved 70's bathroom (ok maybe the sink was 90's). The water pressure from the shower is the worst I've had at any hotel, regardless of star rating. I'm sure this would be easily overcome by using the bath but in a 5* this is unforgiveable.

Minibar prices are very steep as is room service alcohol (if you need wine / supplies go to the supermarket behind the Royal Palace perhaps 300m stroll away on the opposite side of Dam Sq)

Breakfast was an extortionate €22.50 (with "discount voucher") - given the number of restaurants / cafes surrounding the hotel this makes no sense. I didn't eat at the hotel.

The general impression walking around is that the hotel is clean but old. Just tired looking, paper peeling in places, old veneer wood finishes some of which are cracking etc and dated design above all.

Would I stay again - certainly. It covered all the bases and got the most essential things right. I certainly wouldn't stay at anywhere near full price though.

I'm sure in years to come there will be life breathed into the old girl again, in the meantime I'd advise being careful with what you pay for the privilege. Also realise that Amsterdam is not the best for hotels given the vast number of people going through on a constant basis.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

We really enjoyed staying at this hotel. We have stayed before a couple of years ago and nothing much has changed since then.

I would say that this is definitely a 5* hotel as the standards are not as high as they should be. But, we loved staying here, the main reason is because of the central location to everything.

The cleanliness of the rooms was good, although after the fourth night the room could have done with a clean. Also, the TV had BBC1 and BBC2 which is good when you want to fall asleep listening to a familiar TV programme.
The beds are fantastic and we really struggled to leave them in the mornings!!

The breakfast is very good, luckily we got it included within the room rate, I would not think it was worth 22,50 euros per person per day.

Every member of staff were friendly and always had a smile and a 'Good Morning'.

The hotel may need updating or tarting up a little, but our experience was a good one and if I returned to Amsterdam I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!