“Well Located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #97 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Well Located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We arrived in Amsterdam after a long flight, the reception staff were very helpful and check in went quickly & smoothly (just what you want after a long flight). The room was clean and spacious and overlooked a court yard garden. Bed was very comfortable and the bathroom accessories were great.
This hotel is right in central Amsterdam, so you can't get a better location. You would have thought that because of that noise would be an issue but it wasn't for us we heard nothing once inside the Hotel and we were there during the world cup when Amsterdam beat Costa Rica in the quarter finals.
We didn't do the breakfast in the winter garden as we thought it was a bit pricey for us however the room looked lovely.
My only small issue was the hall way to our room had a musty smell to it (our room DIDN'T) I think it might have been due to the ice machine it may have leaked over time and caused the carpet to smell.
Apart from that this is a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HKlok, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Sue E,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky.

We are delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time with us.

We have shared your experience with our colleagues; as such great praise is a fabulous reward for their continued and consistent efforts.

In order to ensure that your experience with the hallway is thoroughly investigated, we would appreciate it if you could contact us via guestservice.nhkrasnapolsky@nh-hotels.com

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again in NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky.

Herman Klok – Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The breakfast was absolutely the best feature of the hotel. The other one was the central location. There were tramlines right the other side of Dam Square. You can buy an OV chip card from the Public Transportation Office (not the Tourist Office) at the Central Railway Station (also at Schiphol Airport but they only sell cards for max 3 days if my memory serves me right). You can choose for how many days you need it and get an unlimited amount of travels in trams, buses and metro. It is really convenient and inexpensive if you plan to travel around the city a lot.

Otherwise this hotel was unfortunately not what I am used to expect of five-star hotels. However, the staff was polite and helpful, and seemed to do their best.

We stayed for six nights in a standard room which are the ones that have not been renovated (hence, by the way, the huge differences between these reviews, I believe). It really showed: the furniture was worn-out all over. There were even splinters sticking out from the frame of the chair at the desk. The housekeeping could have done a better job, too. What I found rather disgusting was that they did not change used glasses but only rinsed them and put them back to their places. This was obvious as I found remnants of dried beverages and my lipstick in the glasses. I gave them a chance but when this was repeated, I started to wash the glasses before we used them.

There was only one large pillow per sleeper in the bed. We got flat pillows promptly enough when we asked for them. The problem was that one of the pillows was ok (soft and flat) but the other one was flat because it had once been a thick pillow and had flattened during the years of heavy use. Therefore it was rock-hard. Of course we could not use it.

What was the best about the room was that there was plenty of storage room – although too few coat hangers. The air conditioner was probably from the 70’s or 80’s and so loud that it could not be used at night. If you are in a habit (as we are) to store your own water bottles in a minibar, you should note that the minibars in this hotel have sensors and you get charged right away when something is taken out of the fridge. We could only cram two 0,5 litre bottles in the minibar without taking anything out.

There was some renovation of the foundations of the building (?) starting and the bar was going to be moved to another room. There was already something happening outside which had caused some mice to come into the bar. One evening we saw one mouse scuttling around in the bar where we were sitting. The bartender came to tell us about the renovation and the mouse problem that it had caused. He was very apologetic about the whole business. We found the mouse quite amusing because it was hardly the hotel’s fault.

Dear Katrialma,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review of your recent stay at NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky.

We are delighted to read that you are satisfied with the service delivered by our members of staff.

However, we constantly aim to provide our guests with the finest of facilities and services and we very much regret that we did not completely meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

In order to ensure that this matter is thoroughly investigated, we would appreciate it if you could contact us via guestservice.nhkrasnapolsky@nh-hotels.com

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Fantastic location for young and old. It is in the middle of the town square and action happens non stop. The room was great, breakfast was a feast, especially for guys, staff friendly you cant ask for better. An ideal hotel for all.

Room Tip: Rooms in Block 5, 3029 very quiet, 7 we heard was a bit noisy.
Dear Bruni1941,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay at NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky. To be described as an ideal hotel is a fantastic compliment and we have shared your review with our team.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back in NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky.

Atlanta Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

If you read my Amsterdam Hotel Reviews, you might think me a little schizophrenic. In one review, I swear that my favorite hotel is The Tulip Inn. In my next review, I claim to have graduated from the Tulip to the Krasnapolsky. The truth is, when I feeling a bit "earthy," The Tulip Inn fits me, when I am feeling like I need a place to escape the party, the Krasnapolsky fits the bill.

On this adventure, I was escorting my 84 year old mother around Germany and decided to surprise her with two nights in Amsterdam. Back in 2012, when she was a more youthful 82, I had brought her to Queens Day and we had a great time. Believe it, or not, on this trip we came to Amsterdam to rest. The Krasnapolsky was the right hotel for this trip.

Krasnapolsky outdid themselves. We both had as large of rooms as I have had in Europe. We had King Size Beds. The rooms were very quiet. The shower worked great. My mother could not get her TV to work on the first night, and called guest services. She told me that it felt like someone was at her door before she hung up the phone. Turns out the battery in the remote was dead (I suppose I could gig them for that, but they fixed it so quickly, I choose not to).

Krasnapolsky is undergoing extensive renovations. But the are managing it beautifully. We were unaware in our rooms, and we both thought that our unrenovated rooms were beautiful. Coming and going and sometimes in the lobby you knew they were renovating, but it was no bother to us.

Krasnapolsky has the usual amenities for this class hotel, including robe and slipper, an extensive selection of toiletries, and a safe.

I have a policy against five star ratings, to avoid grade inflation in my reviews. But Krasnapolsky impressed me enough that I was forced to give them a five star review.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Twinkles,

Thank you for such a wonderful review!

It is genuinely uplifting to receive such positive feedback.

We are impressed to have received a 5 star rating from you, considering the fact that you normally do not rate hotels with 5 stars!

We are delighted to read that you were able to enjoy your stay here so much and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam is an old worn hotel that cost to much money.
Amsterdam smells of pee everywhere, the parking is very expensive, too much drunk people, restaurants are not so good. Never ever Krasnapolsky and Amsterdam for me again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bassnl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences after your stay with us.

We constantly aim to provide our guests with the finest of facilities and services and we very much regret that we did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Based on the reviews I was expecting a nicer establishment. The room faced a street but the room was so dark. Even with all the lights on. The staff were professional. The whole place was dark. I don't think the experience was worth the cost. Location was great though.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidThoreau61,

We constantly aim to provide our guests with the finest of facilities and services and we very much regret that we did not completely meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We arrived at 9 a.m. and were very tired and were greeted warmly by front desk person and the man handling our luggage. She told us our room was not ready but an upgraded one (at no additional cost) in the renovated section was available "now." What a treat---a modern, comfortable room with plenty of closet, storage space. I needed a plug for an outlet and it was brought promptly. The only problem was the height and slope of the bathtub which made it difficult to get in and out and made it slippery. Asked for a bath mat which also was delivered promptly. The Concierge was most helpful in directing us to the correct trams and in giving us information that was most helpful. The location of the hotel is great--quiet but right in the heart of it all.

Bshapiro14,

Thank you for your fantastic review!

We are delighted to be informed that you have enjoyed your stay here.

We will always try our utmost best to check-in our guests as early as we can, especially because we know that most of them have been travelling.

We will take note of your experience with the bath, thank you for sharing this with us.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back here!

Herman Klok - Hotel Director

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!