“Need not have worried” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #100 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Victoria, Canada
“Need not have worried”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were having difficulty finding a place to stay in Amsterdam on the dates we wanted so ended up booking with a "secret hot wire rate" with Hotwire. When we found out we were booked into the Grand Krasnapolsky I went to trip advisor, and started to worry after reading some of the terrible reviews. I was also very concerned that the manager never seemed to respond to any of the reviews, something I always like to see. In any event we showed up at the hotel at 10:00 am after a short walk from Centraal station, intending just to store our bags there until check in time. Despite the lobby being quite busy we were seen to quite quickly and found out that a room was ready for us. Having seen the advice on here to ask for a recently renovated room, I asked and was told none were ready yet but we could have one by the regular check in time which we chose to do. The concierge desk also took care of storing our bags for the day. We arrived back at the hotel by 2:00 (an hour before check in time) and were told our room was ready. We had room 3085 which was very nice and even had a bit of a view over the rooftops. The renovated rooms are very modern and white, while there is a touch of "2001 a space odyssey" about them I really liked the design and found it quite an effective and practical design for a hotel room. The bed was king size, and had a continuous mattress, not the two singles pushed together you often get in Holland. It was a bit firm for my taste but I still had three good nights sleep on it. The room was relatively quiet, there was occasionally some street noise but not enough to disturb our sleep. We did not eat in the hotel but the concierge booked two other places for us we had read about. Check out was no problem, all and all I was quite happy with the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room, one of the ones accessed by elevator 7, we had 3085.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shetland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed only one night in this hotel and felt like kings. Or maybe tycoons or film stars. The hotel is maybe slightly dated in its looks, but we loved our room. It was at the back and quiet. And it must be the best bed we ever slept in. No problem getting our ipad to work, which was a bonus in itself. We did not have breakfast there, as we only had one day and wanted coffee and croissants at Cafe Hoppe on the Spui. The front desk staff were friendly and welcoming. And my goodness, the location. Right on the Dam and next door to the Bijenkorf and in walking distance to all our favourite haunts.

Room Tip: Yes, of course you can have a drink at the vastly overpriced bar, but another option is to go to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel was clean, the rooms are modern, and it is located in the heart of everything. We literally walked everywhere. Staff was a bit rude, but I noticed the same rudeness throughout the surrounding shops and restaurants. Over all a nice stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were told that this was one of the best hotels in Amsterdam. Perhaps 30 years ago when it looks like it was last updated. When we arrived, we were shocked to see that the city square that it is situated in front of was full of trash, vagrants, thousands and thousands of tourists and all the debris they leave behind. It looked like thousands of cockroaches surveying about. The steps of the hotel are covered with a rubber mesh, non-slip type of covering I would imagine to be in an industrial kitchen. It's completely filthy. There was a smashed tomato right in the center of the steps and a homeless looking bum smoking and picking through the potted plant where people leave their cigarettes. While we were checking in, a gentleman came to the desk next to us and asked for change. They asked if he was a guest. He said, "Well, I used to be, I just checked out." The clerk informed him that if he was not a guest she could not give him change. He went on to explain that his party has just spent thousands and thousands of dollars at their hotel booking their convention and that he could hardly believe that they could not give him change. That should have been my first clue that this was not going to be a good experience.
When we got to our room. We were shocked to be given a view of trash cans. The room furniture was old, scratched up and in terrible condition. It looks like an old outdated college dorm room from a not-so-nice college. I called to express my displeasure. A clerk came to our room to help is look at another room. Once we
moved to this room, we discovered that it was above a street that filtered to the red light district. At night, not only did it sound like a Manchester United football game, but every loud mouthed drunkard utilizes this alleyway all night long. Additionally, because of no carpets, the floors were cold and of course if things couldn't get worse, the air or heat did not work so we froze all night long. The management finally moved us to another room in the new wing that they were updating. This room looked like a cross between the "W's" Tokyo chic and Star Trek (from the 60's.) The restroom is simply separated by a non-insulated wall of glass. Beware, when you take a shower anyone in the room can see you through the poorly frosted glass. Not a place for the self-conscious. The sound barrier between you and the rest of the hotel room (god forbid you have guests) is
like a simple shower curtain. Ladies may be very uncomfortable about making any restroom noises. Imagine going to the restroom in a room where there's simply a shower curtain between you and your suite mate. Additionally, there is NO PLACE to put your clothes. The closet has a few hangers but whoever designed the new wing simply made no provisions for dressers to put your clothes away. There's a long shelf that runs the length of one wall but where do you put your freakin' clothes??????!!! You literally have to live out of your suitcases. I forgot to mention, the restroom which tries way too hard to be modern, has a simple sink hanging from the wall. Where the Hell do I put my toothpaste and toothbrush? You actually have to put all your toiletries on the back of the bathtub and hope they don't get wet. They're trying to update the new wing and make them much more fashionable with the darkly lit hallways. It may be somewhat fashionable but the design they chose is not one that's on the comeback just yet. But, putting that aside. Fashion is great, but without function, it makes no sense. We have stayed in some the worlds nicest hotels and this hotel was absolutely horrible. Three or four different wings with varying non-functional room decor.

Okay, so at the end of the day we decide to grab some food and retire to our room to watch a movie on the movie channel that the Hotel tv's advertises. Sadly, we find out that they're not offering that service that they're advertising. It's not in our wing they tell us. Then why advertise it? So, we sit,and sit, and sit. Until we finally fall asleep. I wish I could post pictures of the horrible place to show exactly what I'm talking about. I seriously recommend that you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel is so underrated in Tripadvisor.In my opinion as a tourist in Amsterdam, it is the best located hotel hands down. It is located right on Dam Square, a very walkable distance from the Amsterdam Centraal train station. Check-in was very quick and we booked 3 rooms. My daughter was given a room which was on the third floor facing a street with lots of shops and restaurants and she said it was quite noisy. My son and I had rooms in the back of the hotel on a high floor and I think it is the best. No view, but very quiet.My room seems to have been recently renovated and had plenty of space to put 2 suitcases up on a long shelf.The bathroom has a glass wall separating the bedroom, also newly remodeled but has draining problems. During a shower, the water was up to my ankles. I just think the pipes are old. This is my only complaint about the hotel.
We didn't use the restaurant but peeked in, menu was French food and expensive.
The concierge was very helpful in suggesting dining options.
When a member of my family had to find a space to work, they gave him a conference room with free wifi which is all over the hotel including the rooms.
Outside the hotel was the Dam square and great for people watching, shopping, dining. There is also a big supermarket nearby. Tram stops were within a couple of blocks.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good hotel and the best location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Mid-August trip to Amsterdam staying at the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky right in Dam Square. Arguably, the heart of Amsterdam. Right in the center of it all and right next door to the red light district -;). The hotel is old-world, but the rooms are fantastic and the decor makes you feel like you are on a beautiful cruise ship. The bar is a great respite later on in the evening. The restaurant was fabulous.

Room Tip: Non-smoking, fourth floor, in the front on Dam Square.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Valley, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Short stopover in this hotel. Asked for quiet room which was located at the rear of the building. Very quiet indeed. Newly renovated and exceptionally clean. Staff were most accommodating and very polite at all times. The hotel is centrally located right on Dam square and if the price is right I would not hesitate to stay again. I will say that it requires a mastery of orienteering to find one's way around this expansive series of passages and floors. I was asked on more than one occasion to assist people find where they were.

Room Tip: If you are not worried about the view, ask for rooms at the rear. They are newly renovated and extre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!